Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Hell's Kitchen

Hell's Kitchen
::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 8, 2006, 01:04 PM

Anyone watch this show? I started watching it a few weeks ago and I'm hooked. I friggin love that Chef Ramsey dude. He's the ultimate at throwing insults at people, breaking them down like some crazy drill sergeant or something.

Who else loves this show?

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Location: Partying down with the Ewoks, after I nuked the Death Star!
Aug 8, 2006, 01:05 PM

I watched about 5. it is entertaining but I have actually worked with someone like that before and it isn't pretty or necessary.

"Hello, what have we here?

residentEvil
Professional Poster
Aug 8, 2006, 01:24 PM

tutelary
Forum Regular
Aug 8, 2006, 01:28 PM

for a moment I thought this was a Daredevil thread.

KeyLimePi
Mac Elite
Aug 8, 2006, 01:29 PM

Yes, I've been watching it. It's hard to believe that any of these people will get to 'run their own multi-million dollar restuarant.'

That Virginia is a flake, but apparently she has a very well developed palate (among other things).

euchomai
Mac Elite
Aug 8, 2006, 01:33 PM

I like that the guy last night called ramsey out for having a "h**** on" for Virginia. They do seem to flirt with each other. It seems she is married though? I thought I heard them tease that for next weeks show.

Did you see her in the hot tub? SMOKING! Her cooking gear doesn't do her justice!

Velocity211
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 8, 2006, 01:40 PM

Keith shouldn't have gone, although he looks and acts like Kevin from the Office, I think Virginia should've gone instead of him.
iMac 24" | Core 2 Extreme 2.8GHz | 4GB RAM | 500GB HD
PowerBook G4 15" HR | 1.67GHz | 2GB RAM | 100GB HD
R.I.P 1995 Toyota Supra NA-T

::maroma::  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 8, 2006, 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by Landos Mustache
I watched about 5. it is entertaining but I have actually worked with someone like that before and it isn't pretty or necessary.
Yes, but these guys aren't working for him. They're competing for a multi-million dollar restaurant in Vegas. I would say he's justified in his ranting and raving. Plus, it makes for great T.V.

Addicted to MacNN
Aug 8, 2006, 01:52 PM

Yeah I was surprised he picked Kieth (K. Grease, rises to the top!) to go. He was surely the stronger cook out of him and Virgina. But I guess it will make for a more interesting last episode. Plus, Kieth really didn't do well in that last dinner service. Virginia, even though she's a total flak and will never be able to run her own restaurant, did better in that challenge.

And I'm sure Ramsey has a boner for Virgina. She's cute and has big boobs, but damn she needs some brains.

Can't wait for the finale.

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 8, 2006, 02:21 PM

best thing virginia did was get that ****er sarah kicked off, oh, and win most of the challenges. she does have brains for some things, but I'll have to agree that she is a little flaky

Alex

Addicted to MacNN
Aug 8, 2006, 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by brassplayersrock
best thing virginia did was get that ****er sarah kicked off, oh, and win most of the challenges. she does have brains for some things, but I'll have to agree that she is a little flaky

Alex
Oh man I didn't like that Sarah chick at all. She was vindictive, but thats the way to play the game I guess. I love a quote of hers from a few episodes back. It went something like: "I may be an idiot in my real life, but when it comes to cooking, I know my stuff."

Spliff
Mac Elite
Aug 8, 2006, 02:40 PM

Keith creeps me out. He looks like that deformed dude, Sloth, from The Goonies.

( Last edited by Spliff; Aug 8, 2006 at 02:46 PM. )

Addicted to MacNN
Aug 8, 2006, 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by Spliff

LOL! I made that connection too. He's a mouth breather as well. The dude's mouth rarely closes, even when he's not speaking.

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Aug 8, 2006, 02:59 PM

That is EXACTLY what I was thinking last night. He looks 20 years older than his age also.

Shawn Grimes
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 8, 2006, 03:23 PM

Ah, good ole K-Grease, I'm glad he is gone and that is a funny ass resemblance as well

Eug
Clinically Insane
Aug 8, 2006, 03:40 PM

I hate that show. The guy is a total @sshøle.

Addicted to MacNN
Aug 8, 2006, 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by Eug
I hate that show. The guy is a total @sshøle.
But that's what makes it so fun to watch.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Aug 8, 2006, 04:16 PM

Nah. What would really be fun to watch is to see him taken down a few pegs by someone who doesn't have that short-dick syndrome from which he seems to suffer.

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 9, 2006, 12:15 PM

each teaches there own way. he seems to think that results come from being an arsehole.(heh, which seems to work most of the time when I do it) so be it. it's a good show

ajprice
Professional Poster
Aug 9, 2006, 12:25 PM

Apparently Gordon Ramsay's been signed up for a Simpsons episode, teaching Homer how to cook . Not sure what they'll do about the swearing though .

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 9, 2006, 12:26 PM

oh ****! link? i wanna see that episode

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Aug 9, 2006, 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by Eug
Nah. What would really be fun to watch is to see him taken down a few pegs by someone who doesn't have that short-dick syndrome from which he seems to suffer.
Totally. You caught a hint of it when that guy said he thinks that he has the hots for that girl. Caught him off guard.

ajprice
Professional Poster
Aug 9, 2006, 02:30 PM

oh ****! link? i wanna see that episode
Not been made yet, he's signed and agreed to be in it.

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

baw
Mac Elite
Aug 9, 2006, 02:43 PM

I watch his other show on BBC, Ramsey's Kitchen Nightmares. Good show.

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 9, 2006, 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by Eug

It's show, that's all. Ramsey is supposedly a screamer in the kitchen, but in real life he isn't half as annoying as on TV. I don't think anybody with his number of Michelin stars to his name suffers from S.D.S either
But seriously, working in a commercial kitchen can be like this. There are calm chefs, but they are in the minority. Cooking in a restaurant is high adrenaline work.

stevesnj
Mac Elite
Aug 9, 2006, 03:00 PM

some episodes he got physical with some people, I wouldn't go for that, i would have to get all Jersey on him.
MacBook Pro 15" i7 ~ Snow Leopard ~ iPhone 4 - 16Gb

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 9, 2006, 05:14 PM

"excuse me, could you get your breasts off my hot plate please?"

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Aug 9, 2006, 05:17 PM

"excuse me, could you get your breasts off my hot plate please?"
That all seemed pretty set up.

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 9, 2006, 05:19 PM

yeah, but it was so funny....

Alex

Spliff
Mac Elite
Aug 9, 2006, 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by baw
I watch his other show on BBC, Ramsey's Kitchen Nightmares. Good show.
Yeah, that's a much better show. Ramsey is actually nice to the people he's working with.

Addicted to MacNN
Aug 9, 2006, 06:52 PM

That all seemed pretty set up.
That was one of the funniest things I've seen on that show. I'm pretty sure they asked that woman to go up there and cause some trouble. But I just loved Ramsay's reaction to it.

"How am I supposed to serve food with those huge <bleep!> sitting there?!"

LOL!

PlacidTubs
Forum Regular
Aug 9, 2006, 09:31 PM

Yeah, that's a much better show. Ramsey is actually nice to the people he's working with.
Yes I agree. Much better.

Kr0nos
Mac Elite
Aug 10, 2006, 01:59 AM

LOL. For some reason I was expecting a show about a NYC neighborhood, after torrenting an episode last night.

This is just the worst crap I've ever seen. A kitchen set up as an army boot-camp? And what's with all the competitiveness, backstabbing, and general asshatrish drama?

That show pretty much reflects everything I hate about people and 'office politics' these days.

Half way through I was laughing my a55 off, by the end I was only thinking 'dear heavens, please send a big comet and destroy this planet'!

If I change my way of living, and if I pave my streets with good times, will the mountain keep on giving…

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Aug 10, 2006, 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by ::maroma::
That was one of the funniest things I've seen on that show. I'm pretty sure they asked that woman to go up there and cause some trouble. But I just loved Ramsay's reaction to it.

"How am I supposed to serve food with those huge <bleep!> sitting there?!"

LOL!

That is TV it happened to a stranger funny, if that were me placing my huge tits in his face and he made that comment I would have done more than just throw the food on the floor.

Shawn Grimes
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 10, 2006, 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by Kr0nos
LOL. For some reason I was expecting a show about a NYC neighborhood, after torrenting an episode last night.

This is just the worst crap I've ever seen. A kitchen set up as an army boot-camp? And what's with all the competitiveness, backstabbing, and general asshatrish drama?

That show pretty much reflects everything I hate about people and 'office politics' these days.

Half way through I was laughing my a55 off, by the end I was only thinking 'dear heavens, please send a big comet and destroy this planet'!
The reason they are competitive is because it is a contest. They are all particpating to win control of their own multi million dollar restaurant in Las Vegas. I think I would be backstabbing too if I had the chance at winning something like that.

Kr0nos
Mac Elite
Aug 10, 2006, 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by Shawn Grimes
The reason they are competitive is because it is a contest. They are all particpating to win control of their own multi million dollar restaurant in Las Vegas. I think I would be backstabbing too if I had the chance at winning something like that.
OMFG!1!!111111! Of course that warrants behaving like a complete and total douchbag!

If I change my way of living, and if I pave my streets with good times, will the mountain keep on giving…

Addicted to MacNN
Aug 10, 2006, 12:02 PM

OMFG!1!!111111! Of course that warrants behaving like a complete and total douchbag!
Uhhhh... you do realize that this is a T.V. show, right? This is meant to be entertainment, not a documentary on the human condition inside a kitchen. What exactly do you expect? And yes, the whole point of the show is that its a competition. That's right, people compete for something that most chefs will never get. And Chef Ramsay acts that way to make the show funny and interesting. Sorry if you take it too seriously. I think you need to lighten up.

Kr0nos
Mac Elite
Aug 10, 2006, 12:10 PM

And Chef Ramsay acts that way to make the show funny and interesting. Sorry if you take it too seriously. I think you need to lighten up.
Well, there is a thin line between being funny and being completely ridiculous. To me it seemed like the show and especially the candidates were taking the whole thing far too seriously. Especially the 'drill sargent' shtick.

C'mon, the whole drama, people crying, acting like spoild little third graders…who needs to lighten up here? I was laughing my ass off most of the time, because it was so unintentionally funny.

starman
Clinically Insane
Aug 10, 2006, 12:16 PM

Stupid show.

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

Addicted to MacNN
Aug 10, 2006, 12:33 PM

Well, there is a thin line between being funny and being completely ridiculous. To me it seemed like the show and especially the candidates were taking the whole thing far too seriously. Especially the 'drill sargent' shtick.

C'mon, the whole drama, people crying, acting like spoild little third graders…who needs to lighten up here? I was laughing my ass off most of the time, because it was so unintentionally funny.
That's part of what makes almost all reality shows interesting. The drama that takes place. The more drama the better. Without that drama, all you have is another lame game show. And who wants another Price is Right? Anyways, as with anything in entertainment, its all about your own taste. If you don't enjoy watching people act like boobs in order to win something (sometimes that something is pretty nice actually), then you'll never find a show like Hell's Kitchen entertaining. For me, I love it. I find it funny to watch Ramsay go off on people. Sure the contestants act like babies and all that, but again that's part of what makes it interesting (for me).

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Aug 10, 2006, 12:37 PM

That's part of what makes almost all reality shows interesting. The drama that takes place.
Ya, I have noticed in all of these shows there is always 1 bitch (guy or girl) and they are always the 3rd to go. They keep them around as long as they can to create drama and make people worried that they will win so they tune in each week to see them get cut.

The second they do the show gets boring but it doesn't matter as everyone just watches the last one to see who wins.

Addicted to MacNN
Aug 10, 2006, 01:30 PM

Ya, I have noticed in all of these shows there is always 1 bitch (guy or girl) and they are always the 3rd to go. They keep them around as long as they can to create drama and make people worried that they will win so they tune in each week to see them get cut.

The second they do the show gets boring but it doesn't matter as everyone just watches the last one to see who wins.
Its almost certain that the producers of these shows eliminate certain people on purpose, no matter how they do on the show's various contests or whatever. That was evident last week when Hell's Kitchen eliminated Kieth. He's obviously the best chef out of the 3 that were left, but they got rid of him in order to keep Virginia, who is obviously the worst but she keeps the drama alive. She's a train wreck really, possibly bi-polar. Kieth was pretty cool, but normal in the drama aspect.

So now the last episode will be ripe with drama, or at least there's a much better chance of drama with Virginia still in the game.

I just hope she doesn't win it all. She's doomed to fail at running a restaurant.

residentEvil
Professional Poster
Aug 10, 2006, 01:35 PM

Any update on the guy who won from the 1st season? How is he doing with Ramsey? (i think that was his 'other' choice to be trained at one of Ramsey's restaurants).

I know, I could google
( Last edited by residentEvil; Aug 10, 2006 at 01:58 PM. )

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 10, 2006, 01:46 PM

Its almost certain that the producers of these shows eliminate certain people on purpose, no matter how they do on the show's various contests or whatever. That was evident last week when Hell's Kitchen eliminated Kieth. He's obviously the best chef out of the 3 that were left, but they got rid of him in order to keep Virginia, who is obviously the worst but she keeps the drama alive. She's a train wreck really, possibly bi-polar. Kieth was pretty cool, but normal in the drama aspect.

So now the last episode will be ripe with drama, or at least there's a much better chance of drama with Virginia still in the game.

I just hope she doesn't win it all. She's doomed to fail at running a restaurant.

ramsey wanted a leader, and when keith was the mr "yes chef" he had no balls what.so.ever... and his attitude was beginning to bug me as well.. i honestly don't think that the producers have that much say in who goes and who stays, they might HINT who they want, but believe me, ramsey is a professional that will choose who he wants

Alex

Nodnarb
Mac Elite
Aug 10, 2006, 03:51 PM

]i honestly don't think that the producers have that much say in who goes and who stays, they might HINT who they want, but believe me, ramsey is a professional that will choose who he wants

Alex

Ramsey has no say over the producers, if they want something, there is no doubt they will get it. They might not control every single elimination but they surely have a significant say in the 'actors' and the direction of the show.

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Aug 10, 2006, 03:57 PM

My old co-worker hosted one of those makeover shows for a year. He said he had no input on anything and was just a puppet. They choose his wardrobe, the stores to take the victems to, the clothing they would ask them to try on, his lines, everything. The thing was it was made to look like him as a host and style consultant came up with everything.

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 10, 2006, 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by Nodnarb
Ramsey has no say over the producers, if they want something, there is no doubt they will get it. They might not control every single elimination but they surely have a significant say in the 'actors' and the direction of the show.

source?

baw
Mac Elite
Aug 10, 2006, 04:33 PM

"Well, I’ll get you more pumpkin and I’ll ram it right up your ****ing ass. Would you like it whole or diced?" - Ramsey

Addicted to MacNN
Aug 10, 2006, 07:24 PM

ramsey wanted a leader, and when keith was the mr "yes chef" he had no balls what.so.ever... and his attitude was beginning to bug me as well.. i honestly don't think that the producers have that much say in who goes and who stays, they might HINT who they want, but believe me, ramsey is a professional that will choose who he wants

Alex
I agree, Kieth failed on that last dinner he was in where they made each Chef take control of the kitchen for a while. He had the mentality that he was untouchable and wouldn't be eliminated before Virginia. So I think he just slacked off. Wrong choice.

And I would agree with Nodnarb about Ramsey having no control. I don't have a source, its just a hunch. I feel that the hosts of these reality shows may have some say on what goes on, but the producers and writers have the most control. We have no way of telling how much time passed between the end of the dinner service and when he chooses someone to be eliminated. I have a feeling its a good amount of time. Time enough for the producers to sit down and figure out what would be best for the show's future. I highly doubt that they would put all their trust in Ramsey to eliminate the right people in order to keep the show as entertaining as possible. I think he would go more along the lines of who is more qualified. And that would make it boring.

euchomai
Mac Elite
Aug 11, 2006, 12:54 AM

Originally Posted by residentEvil
Any update on the guy who won from the 1st season? How is he doing with Ramsey? (i think that was his 'other' choice to be trained at one of Ramsey's restaurants).

I know, I could google
http://www.prickmag.net/chefmichaelwrayfeature.html

I found an article from Feb. describing what he is doing. Long story short, he has started his own knife company. He is opening a restaurant in Vegas soon, not attached to Ramsey, apparently he turned down the job from Ramsey. The new place is basically an upscale strip club in honor of his long time girlfriend. It will serve food in the style of Benihana's with "private grottos" for the "servers" to bring you your food.

Sounds like he is living the life?

Forum Links
Forum Rules