Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > 10.1.1 "drops" my IP address randomly, atleast 5 times a day!!!

10.1.1 "drops" my IP address randomly, atleast 5 times a day!!!
SOLIDAge
Mac Elite
Dec 19, 2001, 04:32 AM

I'm surfing, i'm surfing, all of a sudden it dosn't work...then AOL dosn't work, neither does Enterogue.
So i go to network it shows everything there, it shows my settings using DCHP...
in order to make the internet work, i shut off all online apps, go back to network, switch from DCHP to BootP, hit apply, my IP disapears, then reselect DCHP and then hit apply...and it works again, IP comes back and everything...but it's annoying as hell
it must have changd today atleast 5 times. Ive lockd it, but it dosn't matter it "unlocks" somehow, and it won't stop doing it!!!!
please help!!!
it's VERY BOTHERSOME

iNeusch
Mac Elite
Dec 19, 2001, 05:12 AM

DHCP has a time limit or something, I had the same problems so I decided to set my network prefs manually. DHCP is just to get settings from the device you use to connect, so if you know the settings (router...) you can type them manually and have them stay there !

My Mac keeps the same IP to the router, and that is OK because there are only 3 Macs over here...

What do you connect with? DSL? Router? Cable?

SOLIDAge  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 19, 2001, 05:25 AM

i'm on a network @ school which is OC-3
at home when i get my airport, it better not do this crap, we have DSL there

MickS
Senior User
Dec 19, 2001, 05:32 AM

DHCP leases IP addresses to systems for a limited period of time. The exact period that the lease is for and the policies used to renew the lease are dependent on the device assigning the addresses.

In your school it's quite probably that leases will be set with a short time period and that the system should re-apply for a lease after that. The problem would appear to be related to the leasing policy at your school and the way the Mac OS X DHCP client works. You could try and find out what device is assigning the addresses and the policy in use and provide feedback to Apple.

I've yet to have problems with the Airport base station dropping the IP address though the default lease period is short (1 hour or so) which does cause a slight delay when it comes around to re-negotiation. I changed it to 7 days (I've enough private addresses to cope with giving each machine an address semi-permanently) and this seems to work better.

Jelle Monkmater
Dedicated MacNNer
Location: World capital of drugs and prostitution. Hmmm... SEXTC...
Dec 19, 2001, 07:01 AM

There are many people using DHCP who suffer from the same problem under OS X: all of a sudden their network connection drops and the only way to get it back is to not use DHCP, apply, and go back to DHCP again. If you're among the lucky ones, as some people have actually experienced that the only way to get the connection back is to restart the machine.

There's also a command line command which you can use to drop & up your connection:

sudo ifconfig en0 down
sudo ifconfig en0 up

My cable provider has a DHCP lease of 8 days, but I too got knocked off the 'net quite a few times, until a few weeks ago, when it all of a sudden stopped, and I'm now on a steady connnection 24/7. Why? I haven't got a clue, but when it happened I was running a little shellscript I'd written which checked the connection and reset it if necessary. I'm not running it anymore, though.

Ack! Edited a major grammar mistake.

[ 12-19-2001: Message edited by: Jelle Monkmater ]
The one you love and the one who loves you are never the same person.

starman
Clinically Insane
Dec 19, 2001, 09:40 AM

I use DHCP but I don't have this problem. Could it be related to the setting for "load TCP/IP when needed"? I don't even know if that's in OS X, I remember having to turn that off in OS 9.

Mike

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

mrtaber
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 19, 2001, 10:54 AM

I had a rock-solid cable modem connection. Then I started having them exact same problem. It began after AT&T Broadband moved us all to their new network. I typed in the DNS addresses manually, and now I don't get dropped! Coincidence? Perhaps. Maybe they just got their act together.

Anyway, I had no software changes, etc.

Mark
TiBook 667MHz/512Mb/30Gb/DVD
Macs for work and play; Windows for...work and play. Oh. Never mind. Whatever.

Forum Links
Forum Rules