Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Battlestar Galactica [SPOILERS]

Battlestar Galactica [SPOILERS] (Page 64)
Lava Lamp Freak
Dec 21, 2007, 11:14 PM

The website says "Battlestar Galactica returns to SCI FI in March 2008!"

Battlestar Galactica | SCIFI.COM

Lava Lamp Freak
Dec 21, 2007, 11:16 PM

This promo is slightly different than the last one I posted. I really like the simplistic approach on these.

Future | Videos | SCI FI Pulse

And a new trailer.

Destiny | Videos | SCI FI Pulse

ThinkInsane
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 22, 2007, 07:27 PM

Since it's Christmas time, I figured some of you last minute shopper types might be looking for a little something for that BSG fan on your list. Look no further

Nemo me impune lacesset

jokell82
Professional Poster
Dec 22, 2007, 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by ThinkInsane View Post
Since it's Christmas time, I figured some of you last minute shopper types might be looking for a little something for that BSG fan on your list. Look no further

Ordered two - one for each side of my front door. Should help keep the riff-raff away.

All glory to the hypnotoad.

mrtew
Professional Poster
Dec 23, 2007, 12:53 AM

Originally Posted by ThinkInsane View Post

Why does that thing have that ingrown-head with '"Scream3" mouth, that wasp-waist with child-bearing hips, and girly Jack Skellington hands with fragile little pen-knife fingers??? Such a stupid design. Those toasters are the only really awful thing about this great show (aside from the season finale last year). How I wish they'd used the Cylons from the first series or eliminated the toasters alltogether.... they have no useful purpose in the new story whatsoever anyway. And they look totally fake because the CG is so bad. There I said it.

I love the U.S., but we need some time apart.

Sourbook
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 23, 2007, 01:39 AM

Originally Posted by mrtew View Post
Why does that thing have that ingrown-head with '"Scream3" mouth, that wasp-waist with child-bearing hips, and girly Jack Skellington hands with fragile little pen-knife fingers??? Such a stupid design. Those toasters are the only really awful thing about this great show (aside from the season finale last year). How I wish they'd used the Cylons from the first series or eliminated the toasters alltogether.... they have no useful purpose in the new story whatsoever anyway. And they look totally fake because the CG is so bad. There I said it.

I cordially disagree. I have no explanation or justification for my disagreement. I just disagree.

Oh... wait a minute. Maybe I can explain it. I think they're cool.

ghporter
Administrator
Dec 23, 2007, 11:12 AM

The Cylon figure looks like what it is-an attempt to carry the original "guy in a suit" Cylon image into a new era. The face looks like an evolution of the original mask, and the rest of it looks distinctly NOT like a "guy in a suit." They are cool.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Sourbook
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 23, 2007, 12:51 PM

Moore is to be commended for not over-using the Cylon Centurions. When he created the Human/Cylon skin-jobs he put a face on the enemy. A face that could be reasoned with to a certain degree.

And by keeping the Cylon Centurions as the soldier, he kept the brutal killing machine that could not be reasoned with. But if the audience sees too much of them, they will lose any fear they were meant to bestow.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Dec 23, 2007, 02:01 PM

I wonder if we will ever hear the new toasters talk.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Dec 24, 2007, 01:53 AM

I posted this in the format war thread, but I should probably post it here too.

----

Lame. On Disk 2 of the Battlestar Galactica HD DVD box set, there is a significant lip sync problem for a minute or so. It's best seen at 55'37" on the disc (second half of the mini-series) when that guy (whom I won't name, to avoid spoilers) is in the brig. This is on my Toshiba HD-A2 and on my Xbox 360, so this is an authoring issue, and not a player issue. Other parts of the same disc are fine, as are the other discs so far.

Somebody was asleep at the wheel.

OTOH, I think the disc packaging is fine, as is the image quality. Yes, the original mini-series pilot is VERY grainy, but the HD DVDs reproduce the grain faithfully. The grain is much more muted in the series itself, which is probably because it was shot on HD video. And yes, the detail present is excellent. I can't compare it to broadcast HD since I've never seen it on TV in HD, but it's quite nice, and a humungous step up from the DVD. Anyone who appreciates this show would love the HD DVD version... except for the lip sync issue at the 55 minute mark on Disk 2.
( Last edited by Eug; Dec 24, 2007 at 02:18 AM. )

reader50
Administrator
Dec 24, 2007, 02:41 AM

Eug, thanks for the report.

Are the bonus materials in HD also? Were any additional bonus materials added? For example, 4 of the promo sequences that were on SciFi never made it onto the standard DVD, possibly for space reasons:

Writing A Dark, Sexy, Political Sci-Fi Show
Women In Pivotal Roles
Like Father, Like Son
Director's Cut

Buckaroo
Professional Poster
Dec 24, 2007, 04:05 AM

I just saw the extended version of Razors, and I must say, they butchered it when they cut it down for the Sci-Fi version. The extended version was outstanding.

mrtew
Professional Poster
Dec 24, 2007, 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by Buckaroo View Post
I just saw the extended version of Razors, and I must say, they butchered it when they cut it down for the Sci-Fi version. The extended version was outstanding.
Have they ever broadcast Razor in HD yet anywhere? THAT's something I'd like to download! Unless the Canadian HD channel here that shows BG in SD ever realizes that it's filmed and distributed in HD in Canada and decides to show it that way. FarkinIdiots. I thought Canadians were a little smarter than that!

Eug
Clinically Insane
Dec 24, 2007, 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by reader50 View Post
Eug, thanks for the report.

Are the bonus materials in HD also? Were any additional bonus materials added? For example, 4 of the promo sequences that were on SciFi never made it onto the standard DVD, possibly for space reasons:

Writing A Dark, Sexy, Political Sci-Fi Show
Women In Pivotal Roles
Like Father, Like Son
Director's Cut
Some details on the extras here:

Amazon.com: Battlestar Galactica - Season One [HD DVD]: DVD: Edward James Olmos

I've only seen SD extras so far, but I haven't watched all of them yet.

reader50
Administrator
Dec 29, 2007, 01:26 AM

Highdefdigest has done a review of the HD-DVD version. It appears to answer all my questions. Looks like the best call is to wait for Universal to iron out the issues.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Dec 29, 2007, 01:04 PM

Highdefdigest has done a review of the HD-DVD version. It appears to answer all my questions. Looks like the best call is to wait for Universal to iron out the issues.
It's not necessarily the best transfer. Nonetheless I don't agree with that review of the video either. He seems to say he could overlook the intended noise and contrast, but he can't because it varies in areas. So in other words, he can't overlook the intended noise and contrast.

I also find it odd that he couldn't find the audio sync issues. They were totally obvious, right on the second disc, and they were completely reproducible on multiple machines. They are not due to scratches as he suggests. This tells me he wasn't paying very close attention.

In other words... Although there are definitely imperfections in the transfer, it sounds like he's confusing director's intent and transfer quality to a certain extent, yet at the same time wasn't paying close enough attention to notice the very obvious audio sync problem early on in the disk set. Definitely a flawed review.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Dec 29, 2007, 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
yet at the same time wasn't paying close enough attention to notice the very obvious audio sync problem early on in the disk set. Definitely a flawed review.
Well that's not fair. How many HD disks that you own have audio sync issues that the studio's didn't even notice or even admit to after it was proven? From what I remember you noticed many of them first.

As strange as it sounds some people don't notice them just like some people don't notice rainbows on DLP sets.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Dec 29, 2007, 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by analogue SPRINKLES View Post
Well that's not fair. How many HD disks that you own have audio sync issues that the studio's didn't even notice or even admit to after it was proven? From what I remember you noticed many of them first.

As strange as it sounds some people don't notice them just like some people don't notice rainbows on DLP sets.
Good point.

Just for clarification though, I didn't always notice them first. I was sometimes one of the first, but more importantly was one of the very vocal ones and actually contacted the companies. One issue was basically a player one - eg. Batman Begins playback on the Xbox 360 - which Microsoft then corrected several months later. The other issue is a disk problem - eg. like with BSG disk 2, and requires a disk replacement.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Dec 29, 2007, 01:42 PM

because the new sets don't have rainbow issues?

Sync issues on many HD discs are driving me bonkers, though. Seems to happen with about 1/6th of the new movies I buy.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

reader50
Administrator
Dec 29, 2007, 01:47 PM

I'm thinking it varies by disk. The reviewer is a fan, and has reviewed other disks. If he missed it, especially after noting that other owners have reported sync issues, then there must be a lot of variation between disks.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Dec 29, 2007, 01:49 PM

I have had a couple DVD movies where the audio was waaaaay off and my friends I was watching it with didn't even notice when I found it so bad it was totally unwatchable.

Some people notice it, some don't unless it is pointed out.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Dec 29, 2007, 02:05 PM

I'm thinking it varies by disk. The reviewer is a fan, and has reviewed other disks. If he missed it, especially after noting that other owners have reported sync issues, then there must be a lot of variation between disks.
There isn't. It's an authoring issue.

Watch disk 2 at 55'37" (IIRC) for a little while, esp. when Doral is screaming. You cannot miss it... unless you aren't looking at the screen. Now, I don't expect a reviewer to stare at the screen for hours on end without blinking of course, but you'd think a reviewer would ask those who have noticed it to list a few time stamps.

Originally Posted by analogue SPRINKLES
I have had a couple DVD movies where the audio was waaaaay off and my friends I was watching it with didn't even notice when I found it so bad it was totally unwatchable.

Some people notice it, some don't unless it is pointed out.
True, but see above.

Originally Posted by Shaddim View Post
because the new sets don't have rainbow issues?
Yes they do. The colour wheels are faster, but still not fast enough to eliminate the issues completely. I still see reports of people complaining about rainbows even with today's sets. (I saw rainbows with earlier sets, but I haven't personally tested DLP rear projection sets lately.)

Furthermore, I see even more complaints about front DLP projectors and rainbows. This is especially true with DLP projectors with a 4X colour wheels, but a few people still complain about them with 5-6X colour wheels.

The only way to completely eliminate it is with 3-chip DLP.
( Last edited by Eug; Dec 29, 2007 at 02:14 PM. )

reader50
Administrator
Dec 31, 2007, 10:34 PM

Season 3 DVDs announced
  • March 25, 2008
  • MSRP US$59.98, this will probably translate to US$45 online.
  • 6 DVDs
  • Extended version of Unfinished Business (25 added minutes)
  • 15 hours of bonus materials in total. No word if that includes the Webisodes.

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 31, 2007, 10:37 PM

Oh, thank monkey. They're done with that 'half season' ****. That's the only reason I haven't yet bought either Season 2 set.

Hopefully they'll come around to doing a proper S2 release.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

Eug
Clinically Insane
Dec 31, 2007, 10:38 PM

I'm not going to buy Season 3 until it comes out on HD DVD. Universal, I hope you're listening.

mrtew
Professional Poster
Jan 1, 2008, 12:34 AM

I'm not going to buy Season 3 until it comes out on HD DVD. Universal, I hope you're listening.
I'm not going to buy it till it comes out on Blu-ray! In fact I may not even watch Season4 unless they freaking show it in HD. What the heck is going on with all the SDTV still? This is 2008!

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Jan 1, 2008, 01:01 AM

Yes they do. The colour wheels are faster, but still not fast enough to eliminate the issues completely. I still see reports of people complaining about rainbows even with today's sets. (I saw rainbows with earlier sets, but I haven't personally tested DLP rear projection sets lately.)

Furthermore, I see even more complaints about front DLP projectors and rainbows. This is especially true with DLP projectors with a 4X colour wheels, but a few people still complain about them with 5-6X colour wheels.

The only way to completely eliminate it is with 3-chip DLP.
That's why I said the new sets. The only one I've checked out lately is the JVC HD61FH96 purchased by a relative, it's 3 chip and "rainbow" free. After setting it up with Video Essentials it was stunning.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

jokell82
Professional Poster
Jan 1, 2008, 02:12 AM

I'm not going to buy it till it comes out on Blu-ray! In fact I may not even watch Season4 unless they freaking show it in HD. What the heck is going on with all the SDTV still? This is 2008!
Do you have SciFi HD? I assume it will be in HD on that channel.

And it'll never end up on Blu-Ray.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Jan 1, 2008, 02:57 AM

I chuckle at people who make such definite statements.

If/when HD-DVD goes tits up, it'll be on Blu-Ray. They aren't so stupid that they would ignore that many sales.
- Thomas Paine

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Jan 1, 2008, 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by jokell82 View Post

And it'll never end up on Blu-Ray.

Please, do continue!

V
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Jan 1, 2008, 10:57 AM

Do you guys not know anything about this "war"? BSG is owned by Universal, who is the champion of the HD DVD format. Even if HD DVD were to fail and be phased out (which is not very likely), it would be over a period of years and Universal would be the last holdout. So while I guess there is a chance, it's like 1%. Don't hold your breath.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Jan 1, 2008, 01:05 PM

Do you guys not know anything about this "war"? BSG is owned by Universal, who is the champion of the HD DVD format. Even if HD DVD were to fail and be phased out (which is not very likely), it would be over a period of years and Universal would be the last holdout. So while I guess there is a chance, it's like 1%. Don't hold your breath.
and if HD-DVD goes bust they'll run to Blu-Ray so fast your head will spin. They're a business, they want to make money. Thinking otherwise is just foolish.
- Thomas Paine

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 1, 2008, 03:35 PM

They might also sell BSG...

goMac
Posting Junkie
Jan 1, 2008, 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by Shaddim View Post
and if HD-DVD goes bust they'll run to Blu-Ray so fast your head will spin. They're a business, they want to make money. Thinking otherwise is just foolish.
BSG would be finished by the time they would switch to Bluray. They wouldn't go back and do a Bluray rerelease for a series that isn't on the air anymore.
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Jan 1, 2008, 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by goMac View Post
BSG would be finished by the time they would switch to Bluray. They wouldn't go back and do a Bluray rerelease for a series that isn't on the air anymore.
Ya you're right the only thing they release on disk is stuff currently on the air.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Jan 1, 2008, 04:06 PM

Guys: The format war thread is the OTHER one.

This here is the Battlestar Galactica thread.

Battlestar Galactica - - - High-Def medium format war

See the difference?

goMac
Posting Junkie
Jan 1, 2008, 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by analogue SPRINKLES View Post
Ya you're right the only thing they release on disk is stuff currently on the air.
Right, because it's unheard of for studios to hold on to old content and not release it on a new format until a much later date.
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

Koralatov
Senior User
Jan 1, 2008, 07:09 PM

Season 3 DVDs announced
  • March 25, 2008
  • MSRP US$59.98, this will probably translate to US$45 online.
Damn... I think this may be the only case of the US getting something released after the UK. I'm not sure exactly when they came out, but it was a few months back. That said, it does have a MSRP of £49.99 (though I got it for £35), but as I'd never seen any of season three, so I felt it was very much worth it.

However, I am slightly miffed that you seem to be getting a 25-minute longer cut of "Unfinished Business", which I'm pretty certain we didn't...
( Last edited by Koralatov; Jan 2, 2008 at 01:44 PM. )

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 1, 2008, 07:51 PM

WTF? You guys also have a 16-disc 3-season box set.

No fair.

Edit; DAMMIT!!!!111

You also have a complete Babylon 5 box set.

Edit 2: And this one...
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

goMac
Posting Junkie
Jan 1, 2008, 08:41 PM

And people wonder why getting rid of region coding is a good idea...

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 1, 2008, 08:53 PM

I worship my Philips DVD player.

Out of the box, it has no problems playing PAL DVDs. And then, with a simple code entered by remote control, it can be made region free.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

ghporter
Administrator
Jan 1, 2008, 08:58 PM

Lat, which Phillips DVD player are you gushing about? It sounds like a nice one to pick up...

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 1, 2008, 09:05 PM

I have two, actually. And my praise comments apply to both.

The first of which is this one. By far the best $50~ I have ever spent. Image and sound quality are *superb*, and it'll play anything you throw at it. Instructions for unlocking its region are in the first posted review. (This goes for $60~ most places. I can't believe Amazon has it for $41.99 with free shipping. Buy it now.)

The other, which I picked up for Christmas, is this one. Just as versatile as the player I linked to above. Plus a host of other features such as upconvert, along with all of the other goodies you'd expect from a HTIB.
( Last edited by Lateralus; Jan 1, 2008 at 09:13 PM. )
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

ghporter
Administrator
Jan 1, 2008, 09:26 PM

Cool! Thanks! Now I feel like I can take advantage of a few "contacts" I have in places that don't get "Region 1" DVDs. <evil chuckle>

reader50
Administrator
Jan 4, 2008, 04:05 PM

Season 3 DVD set: The Webisodes are included.

ink
Mac Elite
Jan 4, 2008, 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
The first of which is this one. By far the best $50~ I have ever spent. Image and sound quality are *superb*, and it'll play anything you throw at it. Instructions for unlocking its region are in the first posted review. (This goes for $60~ most places. I can't believe Amazon has it for $41.99 with free shipping. Buy it now.)
That would be my dream player if it had a USB port, or at least a memory card slot. Does anyone know of such a device? I loathe burning things to disc just to watch them on the big screen.

mrtew
Professional Poster
Jan 4, 2008, 07:36 PM

Changed your mind about those odds yet dude???
Warner backs Blu-ray exclusively
( Last edited by mrtew; Jan 4, 2008 at 10:59 PM. )

ghporter
Administrator
Jan 4, 2008, 08:24 PM

Can we get back to BSG and off this stuff-which has its own thread... Please?

mrtew
Professional Poster
Jan 4, 2008, 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
Can we get back to BSG and off this stuff-which has its own thread... Please?
Hey dude... people are very excited about buying BSG on Blu-ray and there has been a LOT of discussion about buying DVDs and HD DVDs in this thread over the last 75 pages. I don't know why you're implying that the now near-certaintly that the huge majority of HD movie and television fans will be able to soon buy BSG is not a fair topic but I think you should reconsider that notion. I'm a HUGE BSG fan and can't wait to buy it in HD. If we can only discuss the aspects of BSG that you are interested in maybe you should list them now so we don't mention anything else. Geez!

BSG will be released on Blu-ray after all! Thank the Gods!!!

P.S. This IS BSG related!

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Jan 4, 2008, 08:59 PM

Hey dude... people are very excited about buying BSG on Blu-ray and there has been a LOT of discussion about buying DVDs and HD DVDs in this thread over the last 75 pages.
Ya really. 1/3 of this topic has been about BSG on HD-DVD and us poor BR users with nothing.

Todays news means BSG on BR will come sooner or later. Hopefully they do a better job with the BR version though.

Forum Links
Forum Rules