Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Battlestar Galactica [SPOILERS]

Battlestar Galactica [SPOILERS] (Page 66)
Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 5, 2008, 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by ThinkInsane View Post
That was such an unacceptably long break between seasons that I'm having a hard time getting excited about what's to come. Actually I'm having a hard time even caring. Too much time has passed for a guy with such a short attention span.
Same here. I wonder how many people tuned in for the season 4 premiere? When will the ratings be available?

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

Visnaut
Senior User
Apr 5, 2008, 07:50 PM

I thought this season opener was way better than the season 3 one. The only part of the occupation arc that I liked was when they got the hell off that planet.

In this one, I felt they really wound up the tension just right for the final season, and set up some interesting character dynamics. The final four trying to remain "themselves", Kara trying to turn the fleet around. All really good stuff.

I've always respected Micheal Hogan and his portrayal of Tigh, but now as a Cylon, I think his character is really gonna shine, and we're going to see some great acting, if the season opener was any indication.

Anyway, can't wait till next Friday!

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 5, 2008, 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by Visnaut View Post
I've always respected Micheal Hogan and his portrayal of Tigh, but now as a Cylon, I think his character is really gonna shine, and we're going to see some great acting, if the season opener was any indication.
BSG is an ensemble of great actors. And even so, I think Hogan really stands out. An absolutely fantastic actor.

It's a shame few were familiar with him before BSG, including myself.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

Koralatov
Senior User
Apr 5, 2008, 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
BSG is an ensemble of great actors. And even so, I think Hogan really stands out. An absolutely fantastic actor.
Hogan has done a pretty fantastic job throughout the series—his portrayal of Tigh’s alcoholism was exceptionally well-handled, and the death of his wife was positively heart-wrenching (and I’m not usually very emotionally affected by TV). Even with that in mind, I’m with Visnaut; I think Hogan’s performance in the final season will be something really worth watching.

Overall, I was actually quite impressed with “He That Believeth in Me”. Whilst it would have benefitted from being aired sooner than it was, it still did a fantastic job of maintaining the tension that was cranked up during the last few episodes of the third season. If the remainder of the season is retains this standard, I will be a very happy man.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Apr 5, 2008, 08:39 PM

I really like how they changed the intro as it really sets up the feel for the whole season.

"7 Cylons are know. 4 live in secret. 1 remains to be revealed." over "There are many copies...Cylons have a plan yadda yadda."
For the whole season to centre on them they must have some serious importance. Even more so than earth. My guess is these final 5 are the ones who have been leading the game from the beginning in a way to get humans and Cylons unite together on earth.

The only thing that worries me is that the writers are just ditching old stories with no closure over this final 5 bit. I mean they never really finalized why the cylons were cleaning up the original colonies for... something, declared peace with humans only to chaise them again, Caprica 6 & 8 were guiding them in a non-violent direction etc, what "And they have a plan" has to do with their original plan etc.

Visnaut
Senior User
Apr 5, 2008, 09:48 PM

Yeah, the cylon "plan", at least that of the seven, has never made much sense. You'd think after 40 years they'd have figured out exactly what to do and how to do it. Perhaps the plan has been of the final 5's choosing all along, as you suggest, sprinkles. The 7 were merely the blunt tools by which to put things in motion.

Caprica Six's assertion that they're programmed not to think about the final 5 is a strong indication that the seven are not really in full control of themselves. But neither are the final 4 at this point. Perhaps the final cylon is the only one who has been fully aware of the plan all along.

And for what it's worth, I have a strong feeling that the final cylon is Gaeta.

ThinkInsane
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 6, 2008, 01:50 AM

I hope the final cylon and the grand architect isn't Geata, I hope it's Doc Cottle. I frakin' love that guy. By far my favorite character on the show. Any guy that makes it into his 60's and is still only a Major has got to have a great back-story. And I seriously think it might be him.

Last season I was thinking how horrible an ending it would be if they find earth but it's 2000 years or so ago from our time, and Baltar changes his name to Jesus or some such tripe. Now I have a sick feeling that it might actually happen.
Nemo me impune lacesset

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Apr 6, 2008, 02:19 AM

I can't make up my mind whether the fifth cylon is Baltar or Starbuck...

zerock
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 6, 2008, 03:00 AM

i dont think Starbuck is the final cylon although it would make sense.

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Apr 6, 2008, 03:48 AM

Last season I was thinking how horrible an ending it would be if they find earth but it's 2000 years or so ago from our time, and Baltar changes his name to Jesus or some such tripe. Now I have a sick feeling that it might actually happen.
If that happens then the writers should be expelled from the guild for being frauds. That sounds like something cooked up be a pair of glue-sniffing high-school students... not talented writers.
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

ThinkInsane
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 6, 2008, 03:59 AM

I think it was the beard that put that thought in my head. It was the Cult of Baltar that put the queasy feeling in my stomach. And you're right about what should happen to anyone that would write such garbage.
Nemo me impune lacesset

mrtew
Professional Poster
Apr 6, 2008, 06:18 AM

I think it was the beard that put that thought in my head. It was the Cult of Baltar that put the queasy feeling in my stomach. And you're right about what should happen to anyone that would write such garbage.
Well then how about if they find earth but it's 20 years or so ago from our time, and Baltar changes his name to Jesus or some such tripe?

I love the U.S., but we need some time apart.

reader50
Administrator
Apr 6, 2008, 06:56 AM

I think it was the beard that put that thought in my head. ...
You're safe since the beard is gone now.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Apr 6, 2008, 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by mrtew View Post
I wonder if there's a place to see it in Canada besides youtube. I can't stand the low quality of youtube for good stuff.
There are *many* ways to see it in high quality in Canada besides YouTube.

Koralatov
Senior User
Apr 6, 2008, 09:25 AM

Well, Gaius and Jesus do have a certain similarity in sound, and one could easily see the former being corrupted into the latter…

Originally Posted by voodoo View Post
If that happens then the writers should be expelled from the guild for being frauds. That sounds like something cooked up be a pair of glue-sniffing high-school students... not talented writers.
…but, overall, I can’t see it happening, for the same reasons as voodoo. The standard of writing on Battlestar Galactica is of the highest, and I really, really would be surprised if they ended on something like that. It would certainly be a twist in the tale, but an exceptionally poor one. Overall, I think it will be something that no-one expects.

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 6, 2008, 09:44 AM

Well, if Starbuck did in fact wind up in orbit over Earth, then it would have to be at least 60 or so years ago, maybe even more, because she didn't seem to notice any of the junk (satellites, etc.) that we have up there now. I would have assumed that some of it would show up on Draidus.

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Apr 6, 2008, 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
I think Baltar and Starbuck are too obvious. My money's on Doc, that he's been aware of it the whole time and that he's the one orchestrating everything (including 6 in Baltar's head, Baltar in 6's head, etc)

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Apr 6, 2008, 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by Wiskedjak View Post
I think Baltar and Starbuck are too obvious. My money's on Doc, that he's been aware of it the whole time and that he's the one orchestrating everything (including 6 in Baltar's head, Baltar in 6's head, etc)
I think that would be really really lame. I mean imagine the FINAL EPISODE of BSG ever where everyone is wondering who the final Cylon is and why they are so important and then boom... it is Gaita or the Doc? Pfff, they might as well make it Scruffy the janitor.

As for the whole Jesus/Baltar thing... I've been saying that since season 1 but they do seem to be dropping more and more hints in that direction. In the season 4 pilot they set up a religion building around him and his "worshiping" of "the one true god" when he is really talking to Six or begging for something from God. They also established the whole being on your knees and putting your hands together in the typical earth/christian fashion which wasn't an accident.

Not to mention it would play nicely with the Jesus getting killed for the sins of humanity and resurrecting after he dies.

But I do get the strong feeling now that the 7 Cylons are all instruments of God as they 7 have questioned their purpose "the one who programmed them to think the way they do" not to mention "programmed not to think of the Final 5". The final 5 must have had a plan way back then but now also have no memory of what they are perhaps as punishment or on purpose as it is needed to complete the master plan of Human/Cylon hybrids colonizing earth for a new beginning.

So far all we know about the five is that they live "in-between the place between life and death" whatever that means.

Ratspittle
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 6, 2008, 01:40 PM

When I tried to watch battlestar galactica on the "scifi rewind" my macbook pro just turns off after about 10 minutes!!! Really strange. Anyone know what could be going on with that? It is repeat-able. It happened about 4 times, I just gave up and tried it on my old MDD G4 and no problems (other than the jerky video, which I had on the MBP too.
BTW- I thought it was a good episode considering the crappy "all along the watchtower" BS of the last season finale
The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 6, 2008, 03:22 PM

I thought the last cylon was a character not introduced yet?
we don't have time to stop for gas

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 6, 2008, 06:11 PM

Friday's episode is available on Hulu.com.

I liked Baltar's line after returning from nearly being killed: "I cut myself shaving."

The writer's strike will probably mean that we won't see the end of this show for another year.

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

mrtew
Professional Poster
Apr 6, 2008, 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by Wiskedjak View Post
There are *many* ways to see it in high quality in Canada besides YouTube.
Wow you're such a tease but that's no help at all. Where? Any place I can see the actual episodes in HD??? If so, where?

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Apr 6, 2008, 11:08 PM

Originally Posted by mrtew View Post
Wow you're such a tease but that's no help at all. Where? Any place I can see the actual episodes in HD??? If so, where?
Well, the problem is that most of the options aren't appropriate for mention on MacNN.

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 7, 2008, 01:18 AM

I think it's time for a game of word scramble.

First word; ertbirotnt
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

Mithras
Professional Poster
Apr 7, 2008, 11:17 AM

Rent Tit, Bro.
Born Titter.
Brr -- I To Tent.

synthfiend
Apr 7, 2008, 12:20 PM

Gee, um... Spaghetti?

No no... Umm... Burrito Torrent?

lavar78
Professional Poster
Apr 7, 2008, 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by Mithras View Post
Rent Tit, Bro.
Born Titter.
Brr -- I To Tent.

"I'm virtually bursting with adequatulence!" - Bill McNeal, NewsRadio

finboy
Apr 7, 2008, 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
It's gotta be one of those two. BUT Baltar didn't hear the music. Starbuck was away, so she COULDN'T hear the music.

I think Gaius is the last of the 5, and he CREATED all of them using DNA from the other 4 "hidden" ones. And that's why he can't kill himself. He may be human, or this may be an "updated" form. He is the creator.

Any idea what Tigh's archetype is? Any of them? Linkies?

Koralatov
Senior User
Apr 7, 2008, 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by finboy View Post
It's gotta be one of those two. BUT Baltar didn't hear the music. Starbuck was away, so she COULDN'T hear the music.
I don’t think it will be one of them; I think it’ll be someone nobody suspects—I think Batlar and Thrace are too obvious.

Any idea what Tigh's archetype is? Any of them? Linkies?
Grumpy, dysfunctional, cynical alcoholic?

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Apr 7, 2008, 01:58 PM

I think it's time for a game of word scramble.

First word; ertbirotnt
rhymes with:
mitt ... tore it

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 7, 2008, 02:03 PM

I think we can figure out who the final Cylon will be through a process of elimination.

And the filter is: 'Who would look pretty good, to one sex or the other, coming out of a pool of goo looking all shiny.'

This eliminates Bill Adama and Roslin. I'm going to conveniently forget that this eliminates Tigh as a Cylon as well.
( Last edited by Lateralus; Apr 7, 2008 at 10:36 PM. )
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

lavar78
Professional Poster
Apr 7, 2008, 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by Koralatov View Post
I don’t think it will be one of them; I think it’ll be someone nobody suspects—I think Batlar and Thrace are too obvious.
Agreed. I actually like the Doc Cottle idea.

For a really wild theory, making the final Cylon either Cally or Helo would make one of the human-Cylon "hybrids" actually the first pure Cylon baby.

"I'm virtually bursting with adequatulence!" - Bill McNeal, NewsRadio

Mithras
Professional Poster
Apr 7, 2008, 03:04 PM

Incidentally, do they really only have one doctor -- a do-it-all surgeon, OBGYN, and family practice guy -- in a human population of, what, 40,000?

Visnaut
Senior User
Apr 7, 2008, 03:17 PM

Most of the rips online are not true HD. They may say "HD" in the filename, but that's because they ripped from an HD source. It's still only encoded at a resolution equivalent to DVD, which really isn't that much better than what it's broadcast at on Space. So I'd rather not bother.

Even if I did find a nice 9GB transport stream online, I wouln't have the patience to download it. The way Rogers throttles torrents now, it'd finish downloading sometime next year.

I'd much rather Space go HD, or for Rogers to start featuring more hi-def specialty channels, like Universal HD.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Apr 7, 2008, 04:09 PM

About the only place I know of to find HD stuff is Usenet (where I download stuff at over 1 MB/sec with my home connection)

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Apr 7, 2008, 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by Visnaut View Post
Most of the rips online are not true HD. They may say "HD" in the filename, but that's because they ripped from an HD source. It's still only encoded at a resolution equivalent to DVD, which really isn't that much better than what it's broadcast at on Space. So I'd rather not bother.
While not true HD, compressed HD is still pretty damn good. When I compress my own content for viewing on the AppleTV, outside of scenes with smoke/mist, I rarely notice the compression.
( Last edited by Wiskedjak; Apr 7, 2008 at 04:42 PM. )

ghporter
Administrator
Apr 7, 2008, 08:05 PM

I'm going to conveniently forget that this eliminates Tigh as a Cylon as well.
That would have been a "strategic placement" rather than the other type. Oh and "EW!" You not only can't unsee anything, you can't "un imagine" it either. Thanks.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

andi*pandi
Apr 7, 2008, 10:51 PM

thank you comcast on demand, for letting me watch BG; even though the comcast cable box died and that's why it wasn't recorded in the first place.

oh, and liked the ep very much. The kara stuff and baltar stuff.

the final 1? has to be someone who is aware, not a sleeper, and controlling everything. I say they meet that someone on earth.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Apr 7, 2008, 11:00 PM

So wait was Tai in the first Cylon war? I just watched that documentary and R.D.M. said he has known Adama for 35 years NOT 45 (since the first cylon war).

That means the final 4 could be 35-45 years old with real or false memories.

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Apr 8, 2008, 02:06 AM

I get the feeling that the writers haven't got a clue what they have been doing for the first three seasons and are equally clueless now in the fourth.

Every episode feels like editorial damage-control which only paints them farther into a corner.

I'll give them the benefit of the doubt for now and reserve final judgement until the season ends, but it doesn't look good from my point of view..

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 8, 2008, 02:18 AM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
That would have been a "strategic placement" rather than the other type. Oh and "EW!" You not only can't unsee anything, you can't "un imagine" it either. Thanks.

I am not responsible for your mind's inability to keep itself in check.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

mrtew
Professional Poster
Apr 8, 2008, 06:25 AM

I get the feeling that the writers haven't got a clue what they have been doing for the first three seasons and are equally clueless now in the fourth.
Every episode feels like editorial damage-control which only paints them farther into a corner...
Totally. It's that "Twin Peaks" writing style where everything is based around surprising the viewers and derailing their expectations. It's entertaining for a while until the whole thing collapses. No resolution could possibly satisfy us after all this buildup or even make any sense. Luckily BSG is a good show still and it's got an end date and it's sure a lot better than being stuck watching CSI Miami and Two and a Half Men. I'd throw out my TV if not for BSG and the few other actually entertaining shows that I know of.

If Tai has known the Admiral for almost as long as the Cylons have been gone then they sure 'evolved' and came up with 'a plan' FAST! Unless the final 5 existed before the Cylons, (or possibly even before the humans).

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 8, 2008, 09:57 AM

"Tai"? Please, it's Tigh.

Why is it that pretty much everyone but you two are able to follow along with the story just fine? Where are you guys confused?
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

andi*pandi
Apr 8, 2008, 03:33 PM

if everything is cyclical and has happened before, then yes, maybe the final 5 existed before the cylons.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Apr 8, 2008, 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
if everything is cyclical and has happened before, then yes, maybe the final 5 existed before the cylons.
Well they do have a 2000 year old temple....

Eug
Clinically Insane
Apr 8, 2008, 03:44 PM

Personally I was totally unimpressed with the way the last 4 (of the 5) were introduced. It just seems so contrived. "Yeah, that will ruffle some feathers in the BSG fanbase." And music? WTF?

It reminds me of that Monty Python sketch about that guy who sees a doctor because he hears folk music.

It was a little more interesting in the premiere with the eye thing and the imagined shooting thing, but we'll have to see how this plays out.

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Apr 8, 2008, 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
Then the show will end by some planet being colonized, them screwing it up and colonizing another 12 planets.

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Apr 8, 2008, 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by RAILhead View Post
"Tai"? Please, it's Tigh.

Why is it that pretty much everyone but you two are able to follow along with the story just fine? Where are you guys confused?
I'm confused about the whole human looking cylons for one thing. I thought it was established that humans created the cylons and then these were evolved from the 'toasters'. Now they're supposed to be ancient? Confuses me.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Apr 8, 2008, 04:06 PM

Dunno if this was already posted:

Amazon.com Wire's Blog: Interview with Katee Sackhoff (Amazon Wire #68) Permalink

The main point here that's of interest is that she claims she truly doesn't know what the end of the season will bring. It sounds to me that in part the writers were flying by the seat of their pants.

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 8, 2008, 04:29 PM

I'm confused about the whole human looking cylons for one thing. I thought it was established that humans created the cylons and then these were evolved from the 'toasters'. Now they're supposed to be ancient? Confuses me.
People most want what they don't have? The cylons have an especially short history, so they get most turned on by pretending they have an ancient one. It's not them that's old, it's their god/temples/stories/whathaveyou. Makes sense to me.

Forum Links
Forum Rules