Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Battlestar Galactica [SPOILERS]

Battlestar Galactica [SPOILERS] (Page 69)
Sourbook
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 21, 2008, 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by design219 View Post
Oh man, if that thing turns out to be the star of Bethlehem!

They wouldn't dare.
I actually thought of that when the star went super-nova in The Eye of Jupiter.

But then thought... They wouldn't dare.

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Apr 21, 2008, 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by design219 View Post
Oh man, if that thing turns out to be the star of Bethlehem!

They wouldn't dare.
Dare?

Why not? Seems easy enough, but reaaaaally lame.
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Apr 21, 2008, 11:52 AM

If BSG turns out to be a really long sci-fi version of the Christmas story, I am going to laugh until I cry.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Apr 21, 2008, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
If BSG turns out to be a really long sci-fi version of the Christmas story, I am going to laugh until I cry.
Still i rather watch that every year at Christmas than the usual Xmas specials.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Apr 21, 2008, 12:30 PM

My first thought when I saw that comet what that it would be the star of Bethlehem ... and then the thought was quickly banished from my mind.

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Apr 21, 2008, 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by analogue SPRINKLES View Post
Still i rather watch that every year at Christmas than the usual Xmas specials.
Not defending some of the more atrocious Christmas specials, I can't imagine I'd want to watch BSG *again* after season 4 ends!

It's not that good.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Apr 21, 2008, 03:18 PM

Yeah it is.

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Apr 21, 2008, 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by analogika View Post
Yeah it is.
Why?

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Apr 21, 2008, 05:06 PM

What is not to like about BSG? It is easy to be an armchair critic of little bits and pieces and how things are executed, but as a whole BSG is an extremely ambitious project both in terms of its production value as well as the complexity of the story. You can watch any episode superficially and take away from it the basic struggle between human or cylon, or you can deconstruct the issues explored in any episode and have much deeper conversation and debate about this narrative.

Think about all of the material covered on BSG:

- the power of fear
- torture
- democracy
- the relationship between the military and civilian population
- work unions
- aristocracies
- the worth of humans as a species
- religion/faith
- politics
- the price of security
- sex

and so much more... In short, this is all really and intense deep stuff. If you are not noticing all of this subtext, perhaps you aren't really WATCHING the show? What other show really delves into all of this subject matter so well?

synthfiend
Apr 21, 2008, 05:32 PM

Anyone else notice that Alpha Centauri is a trinary system?
And from BSG WIki:

The constellation Orion appears in this episode. It is clearly visible in the background of the basestars shortly before Cavil's ships begin to attack, and may be visible when Cally looks out the window in the launch tube shortly before she is confronted by Foster. This would indicate that both fleets are relatively close to Earth. However, for them to see Orion in the same two-dimensional configuration as from Earth, they would have to be within a few light years of Sol and in a relatively narrow corridor between it an Orion.

( Last edited by synthfiend; Apr 21, 2008 at 05:36 PM. Reason: Added image)

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Apr 21, 2008, 05:35 PM

Well finding earth to me is the most obvious and unexciting part of the show. They will find it at the end, no question. The real issue is what time period and who actually makes it. It could be only the 2 Cylon Children survive or a small percentage of the fleet. I can't wait to find out though.

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Apr 21, 2008, 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
What is not to like about BSG? It is easy to be an armchair critic of little bits and pieces and how things are executed, but as a whole BSG is an extremely ambitious project both in terms of its production value as well as the complexity of the story. You can watch any episode superficially and take away from it the basic struggle between human or cylon, or you can deconstruct the issues explored in any episode and have much deeper conversation and debate about this narrative.

Think about all of the material covered on BSG:

- the power of fear
- torture
- democracy
- the relationship between the military and civilian population
- work unions
- aristocracies
- the worth of humans as a species
- religion/faith
- politics
- the price of security
- sex

and so much more... In short, this is all really and intense deep stuff. If you are not noticing all of this subtext, perhaps you aren't really WATCHING the show? What other show really delves into all of this subject matter so well?
It's a fun ride, but all those issues you mention are only superficially touched upon which makes the replay value very low in my books. While a good show, it's no classic.

Average sci-fi, but better than the original.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Apr 21, 2008, 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by voodoo View Post
You're bonkers. What's better...Firefly and Babylon 5 right?

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Apr 21, 2008, 06:16 PM

It's a fun ride, but all those issues you mention are only superficially touched upon which makes the replay value very low in my books. While a good show, it's no classic.

The touching on part and leaving things open for interpretation and discussion is exactly what I like about it. Would you prefer if it had some sort of blatant viewpoint and agenda?

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Apr 21, 2008, 06:19 PM

Gonna hafta agree with voodoo here. It's a really good show, but I don't find myself driven to rewatch any past episodes (with the exception of the liberation of New Caprica), while I've rewatched Firefly a few times now (Babylon 5 I can't even get through a first watching).

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Apr 21, 2008, 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by Wiskedjak View Post
Gonna hafta agree with voodoo here. It's a really good show, but I don't find myself driven to rewatch any past episodes (with the exception of the liberation of New Caprica), while I've rewatched Firefly a few times now (Babylon 5 I can't even get through a first watching).
So the question still is... what is better?

lavar78
Professional Poster
Apr 21, 2008, 07:36 PM

I must be the only person who couldn't get through Firefly once. Maybe I'll try again someday, but I just didn't get it.

"I'm virtually bursting with adequatulence!" - Bill McNeal, NewsRadio

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Apr 22, 2008, 05:43 AM

Let's argue taste until next episode of BSG comes on. I think I'm just going to enjoy BSG until the end and then move on.

bishopazrael
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 22, 2008, 11:36 AM

I gotta say I'm 34, so I grew up with Star Wars and all that.... I think BSG has tremendous replay value. I've got all 3 seasons on my video drive.
Backups are like guns and condoms. It's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Apr 22, 2008, 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by lavar78 View Post
I must be the only person who couldn't get through Firefly once. Maybe I'll try again someday, but I just didn't get it.
Yep, you're certainly the only Sci-Fi fan that I know who wasn't totally hooked on Firefly

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Apr 22, 2008, 12:36 PM

Yep, you're certainly the only Sci-Fi fan that I know who wasn't totally hooked on Firefly
i dunno about that. Out of all my Sci-fi friends we all didn't like the Firefly movie. I still don't get what people thought was so brilliant about it... guess that is why it got canned so quick.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Apr 22, 2008, 01:10 PM

i dunno about that. Out of all my Sci-fi friends we all didn't like the Firefly movie. I still don't get what people thought was so brilliant about it... guess that is why it got canned so quick.
I stand corrected.

The movie wasn't as good as the TV series, but it did answer alot of questions raised. It wasn't really stand-alone, in my opinion.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Apr 22, 2008, 01:20 PM

I stand corrected.

The movie wasn't as good as the TV series, but it did answer alot of questions raised. It wasn't really stand-alone, in my opinion.
I agree that the movie wasn't as good as the TV series, but I though the opposite way about it: The movie was obviously not the direction the TV series was going. In the TV series, they established that River was a basket case because her amygdala was removed. In the movie, the explanation was totally different. Another example: There were already Alliance operatives tracking River in the TV series, but they were totally different from the Operative in the movie.

By the way, when Jewel Staite came into the Stargate panel at Comic-Con last year, everyone went crazy. So I think it's pretty safe to say that sci-fi fans generally like Firefly all right.
Chuck
___

analogika
Posting Junkie
Apr 22, 2008, 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by bishopazrael View Post
I gotta say I'm 34, so I grew up with Star Wars and all that.... I think BSG has tremendous replay value. I've got all 3 seasons on my video drive.
Almost the same age, pretty much the same opinion.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Apr 22, 2008, 02:54 PM

I stand corrected.

For me so much about it was typical Sci-fi except for the whole cowboy attitude.

I mean ass kicking Asian Girls, aliens that all speak english and act human, typical spaceship sets... and SPACE ZOMBIES!

Nothing for me stood out as hugely different or mind blowing.

BSG because it has none of those things. No spaceship bridge with a chair facing a viewscreen and everyone facing forward so they can steer, no aliens that all look human with a few bumps and green skin, no exploring for new races, no charted space with borders, no laserguns, NO DAMN TECHNOBABLE!

That is why I love BSG.

design219
Professional Poster
Apr 22, 2008, 03:01 PM

Nothing for me stood out as hugely different or mind blowing.
Except one of the main characters being a prostitute.

My stupid iPhone game: Nesen Probe, it's rather old, annoying and pointless, but it's free.
Was free. Now it's gone. Never to be seen again.
Off to join its brother and sister apps that could not
keep up with the ever updating iOS. RIP Nesen Probe.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Apr 22, 2008, 03:12 PM

For me so much about it was typical Sci-fi except for the whole cowboy attitude.

I mean ass kicking Asian Girls, aliens that all speak english and act human, typical spaceship sets... and SPACE ZOMBIES!
Uh…what? Did you watch the show? Aside from a spaceship (and I didn't think Serenity's rickety-boat version of a spaceship was that typical), none of those things were actually in Firefly.

BSG because it has none of those things. No spaceship bridge with a chair facing a viewscreen and everyone facing forward so they can steer, no aliens that all look human with a few bumps and green skin, no exploring for new races, no charted space with borders, no laserguns, NO DAMN TECHNOBABLE!
Most of these things, however, are true of Firefly. The only person on the "bridge" (which wasn't really a bridge in the Star Trek sense) was the pilot, there was no viewscreen, there were no aliens or new races, and the only time the show used anything like technobabble was when they wanted to show how geeky Kaylee is.
Chuck
___

Don Pickett
Professional Poster
Apr 22, 2008, 04:46 PM

I don't find myself rewatching very many TV shows at all. The only one which comes to mind lately is The Wire.
The era of anthropomorphizing hardware is over.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Apr 22, 2008, 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
Uh…what? Did you watch the show? Aside from a spaceship (and I didn't think Serenity's rickety-boat version of a spaceship was that typical), none of those things were actually in Firefly.
No I didn't watch the show. I was going to start off with the movie and since I thought it would have a bigger budget it would make a good impression and I would just to the TV series.

I didn't like much of anything about the movie so I passed on the show.

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 22, 2008, 05:07 PM

The movie didn't have any of those things either. No aliens, no laser guns, no "starship bridge," no philanthropic missions of discovery, and to be honest I think that traditional action fight scenes are downright atypical in sci-fi. It's loads better than the stupid karate chops that Kirk and McCoy used to whip out. And they explicitly address your language issue; there's a universal language but it's an evolution of english and chinese. They all speak it because everyone came from the same place, which they explained in the first 30 seconds of the movie... sigh, I think I just got trolled. I want the last 20 seconds of my life back.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Apr 22, 2008, 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Skeleton View Post
The movie didn't have any of those things either. No aliens, no laser guns, no "starship bridge," no philanthropic missions of discovery, and to be honest I think that traditional action fight scenes are downright atypical in sci-fi.
Sorry dude but it was pretty bland. I can name other sci-fi movies that had a more distinct look than it did.

And yes it did have that typical spaceship bridge with everyone looking forward in chairs with buttons in front of them for them to "fly around" in space like it was a 747.

BSG got the CIC down packed along with a lot of other things. They have phones with wires for gods sake and wear spacesuits to fly small ships! For that alone they deserve props.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Apr 22, 2008, 05:56 PM

Firefly is the best because it didn't have sound in space.

They'd have a perfect 100 if it weren't for the "slow moving in space" action. So they get a 99.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 22, 2008, 06:01 PM

Why shouldn't it have looked like a 747? It was a cargo ship

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Apr 22, 2008, 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by olePigeon View Post
Firefly is the best because it didn't have sound in space.
Fine but 2001 and beat them to it by 40 years but at least they tried.
Why they put sound in the movie then?

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Apr 22, 2008, 06:04 PM

Come *on* already next BSG episode, the crew is getting restless here and can't spend the entire week discussing the (deep oh so deep) plot!

jokell82
Professional Poster
Apr 22, 2008, 07:17 PM

And yes it did have that typical spaceship bridge with everyone looking forward in chairs with buttons in front of them for them to "fly around" in space like it was a 747.
It had a bridge like the Millennium Falcon had a bridge (read: it had a place to fly the ship from). But it was nothing like the typical Star Trek bridge or anything like that.

All glory to the hypnotoad.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Apr 22, 2008, 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by jokell82 View Post
It had a bridge like the Millennium Falcon had a bridge (read: it had a place to fly the ship from).
Well I guess since it looked like a stretched Millennium Falcon that makes it just an unoriginal so thanks for proving that point

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Apr 22, 2008, 07:31 PM

Well I guess since it looked like a stretched Millennium Falcon that makes it just an unoriginal so thanks for proving that point
Wait — you're complaining about lack of originality in a thread about the remake of Battlestar Galactica?
Chuck
___

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 22, 2008, 07:58 PM

Come *on* already next BSG episode, the crew is getting restless here and can't spend the entire week discussing the (deep oh so deep) plot!

I've been watching those episodes of the 1978 series that abe posted. I didn't realize the "frak" thing was from that show. I hate that part. I would rather they bleeped it like South Park does.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Apr 22, 2008, 08:02 PM

Woah woah woah. You think this:

Looks like this:

WTF?

JoshuaZ
Professional Poster
Apr 22, 2008, 09:06 PM

Holy wow. Its like looking in a mirror.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Apr 23, 2008, 12:14 AM

Originally Posted by jokell82 View Post
Woah woah woah. You think this:
Weird, I thought we were talking about the design of the cockpit looking like a 747 and now you are comparing the exterior ship design? WTF?

analogika
Posting Junkie
Apr 23, 2008, 02:03 AM

Have to agree - how did this thread devolve into a stupid sci-fi geek pissing match?

OMG Death Star OWNZ Y'ALL!

jokell82
Professional Poster
Apr 23, 2008, 07:48 AM

Weird, I thought we were talking about the design of the cockpit looking like a 747 and now you are comparing the exterior ship design? WTF?
It looked like you meant the overall Serenity design looked like a stretched out Millennium Falcon. But even still, I really don't think these two are all that similar:

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Apr 23, 2008, 11:25 AM

So in other words they both looked like flight decks with windows so you can steer around those pesky stars and hope nothing breaks the glass.

Anywho... moving on....

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 23, 2008, 03:14 PM

Just like that damn space shuttle, eh?
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Apr 23, 2008, 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by RAILhead View Post
Just like that damn space shuttle, eh?
Yup, cuz they might need it to land, funny how moon shuttles and any other spacecraft have different layouts. If firefly does it because people think this is how spaceships should look then the audience is stupid.

Strangely in the future they can make ships that travel faster than the speed of light but still need a window to see where they are going.

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 23, 2008, 04:00 PM

Serenity and the Millenium Falcon both land and take off from the ground, and fly through the atmosphere to do it. So... what doesn't make sense here?

PS: there was no faster than light travel in Firefly. But wait, there is in BSG, in the fighters, which have... windows! What was your point again?

analogika
Posting Junkie
Apr 23, 2008, 04:02 PM

Focus, guys: B S G.

Not Star Wars, not Serenity, and not Close ****ing Encounters of the Third ****ing Kind.

Knock it off.

Mithras
Professional Poster
Apr 23, 2008, 04:16 PM

The entire framing of the Viper fighters is unrealistic in BSG. One would expect the fighting to be done as in our own modern warfare -- i.e. from far away, with fast and smart missiles & remote sensing technology. But the close-in "dogfight" style obviously makes much more exciting television, so I don't hold it against them.

Forum Links
Forum Rules