Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Quake 3 and 10.3?

Quake 3 and 10.3?
MilkmanDan
Mac Elite
Jun 17, 2004, 12:40 PM

I'm having issues getting Quake 3 to work for me in 10.3. I've got a full retail install sitting here, and then the quake 1.32 update. Now when i run the update it has me select the original install, which I do, and it brings up the ID Software logo, then everything goes white. Then nothing. Anyone else have issues in 10.3.2 with Quake?

Camali
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 17, 2004, 03:49 PM

I was having issues with Quake myself and basically it was just sound issues (everything sounded like chipmunks but the gameplay was fine).

After a couple of months I ran Cocktail and whatever it did, it fixed the sound issues for me. none after that. While it might not help you completely, give it a try and at least see if it does anything.

Wulfi
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 20, 2004, 03:55 PM

ever since the 10.3 updates, Q3 is crashing all the time. on my fave servers and in single player. i've ran permissions, techtool and disc warrior. still to no avail. even did a fresh install. is this happening to anyone else?

joe
Mac Elite
Jun 21, 2004, 12:53 AM

Originally posted by Wulfi:
ever since the 10.3 updates, Q3 is crashing all the time. on my fave servers and in single player. i've ran permissions, techtool and disc warrior. still to no avail. even did a fresh install. is this happening to anyone else?
Try locating the original Quake3 v1.32 update from 2002. There are some more recent v1.32 altivec and non-altivec updates that always crashed after a few matches on my G4s.

OTOH, if you're referring to the "white-out" problem on dual processor Macs you can get around that by typing vid_restart fromt the console - or binding it to a key (I use "r"). regards....joe

cla
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 23, 2005, 03:37 PM

Originally posted by Wulfi:
Yes, and it's getting rather frustrating. Quake 3 crashes every time I get a plasma or rocket splash in my face. I tried turning off the sound and it went stable, though I don't know if it was just a fluke. (Can't play without sound forever...)

I read these crash problems are NVIDIA machines only. The ATI Macs don't seem to have any problem whatsoever.

Joe (who probably won't answer since this thread is 8 months old), if I recall correctly, the original 1.32 release had "Awaiting Gamestate"-freezes. Or was that something else?

joe
Mac Elite
Feb 26, 2005, 07:47 PM

Originally posted by cla:
...Joe (who probably won't answer since this thread is 8 months old), if I recall correctly, the original 1.32 release had "Awaiting Gamestate"-freezes. Or was that something else?

I still lurk when I have time That seems to be every few weeks these days. hmm... I don't recall ever having the "awating gamestate" error. And while I have an ATI R9800 in my dual 1.42G4 tower now, my Nvidia GF4 Ti was just as stable.

In fact, the only problem I've ever had with Quake3 was the "whiteout" affect every few maps when using a dual processor Mac. I bought Quake3 Mac very shortly after it was released (with my 1st Mac) and have been through every Q3 update in OS9 and OSX. There may have been some quirks between versions, but "whiteout" is the only problem that remains. These days the whiteout problem is more of a minor inconvenience. I did a bind of the vid-restart comand to the R key. So if I enter a map and get the whiteout affect I just tap R and the video is restored without having to go to the console and typing vid-restart. Another way to avoid whiteout is to leave Q3 in single processor mode (r_smp 0). But Quake3 is one of the few games that gets a gigantic FPS boost from dual processors (assuming your GPU can keep up). So it's a shame to run Q3 with SMP off if you've got a dualie.

However, since your having a different problem, I'd try to locate the original v1.32 update. As I wrote previously there were several v1.32 updates for Quake3. The oldest / original v1.32 update was rock solid and it's the one I use. The later v1.32 update included G4, altivec, and G5 optimized versions. I remember trying the more recent altivec and G4 v1.32 updates but they weren't as stable for me. They were faster and would work great for a map or two and then crash. I'm not sure how to recognize the earlier v1.32 update. It may be dated Nov 3rd 2002 and run about 27.8MB. If you can find it someplace it's worth a try. If that doesn't solve the problem you may want to try running memtester or check for cooling problems near your CPU and GPU. Let us know if you get it figured out. Good luck!.......joe

Forum Links
Forum Rules