Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > How to make Mac OS X's mail server get users from Windows AD?

How to make Mac OS X's mail server get users from Windows AD?
Gossamer
Professional Poster
Oct 27, 2006, 01:03 AM

I need to get a Mini running OS X server to work with our Active Directory server running under Windows. The Mini is currently on the domain but I don't know how to set up the workgroup manager to interface with Active Directory to get users and such. We want to keep a single list of user accounts for our system, and the directory server has to be under Windows. Any way to do this?

goMac
Posting Junkie
Oct 27, 2006, 02:20 AM

Originally Posted by Gossamer View Post
I need to get a Mini running OS X server to work with our Active Directory server running under Windows. The Mini is currently on the domain but I don't know how to set up the workgroup manager to interface with Active Directory to get users and such. We want to keep a single list of user accounts for our system, and the directory server has to be under Windows. Any way to do this?
Keep in mind despite all my attempts to ever make Active Directory work with OS X, I've never got it working.

That said, you might want to try making the server a client of the Active Directory server, and then perhaps it will be able to provide that data via ldap. That's my best guess.
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

Gossamer  (op)
Professional Poster
Oct 27, 2006, 12:59 PM

The server is a client of AD. Does LDAP need to specifically and separately installed/set up on the Directory Server?

CatOne
Mac Elite
Oct 27, 2006, 05:59 PM

Yes, bind it in Directory Access (applications/utilities). There is a pane for Active Directory.

Be aware this REQUIRES you have forward and reverse DNS set up properly. They must be perfect. OS X cannot fall back to WINS in cases of broken DNS like Microsoft Windows can.

There's tons of documentation on this at www.apple.com/server/documentation. In particular the user admin and directory services admin guides have walkthroughs.

Gossamer  (op)
Professional Poster
Oct 31, 2006, 12:31 AM

Okay, the Mini is definitely bound to the active directory. When I open up Workgroup Manager and enter the PDC's IP address, it tells me that "The address you entered is not reachable. Please check your network connection."

Gossamer  (op)
Professional Poster
Oct 31, 2006, 02:20 AM

Alright, I've got all of the users showing up in Workgroup Manager and authenticating with Active Directory, but I can't get mail settings I create to stick. I change mail from 'none' to 'enabled,' click 'save,' select a different user, then go back to the original user, and the mail settings are back to 'none.' If I try and create a new preset, I get the error "eDSNoStdMappingAvailable (-14140)."
Any ideas? Could I instead get users via LDAP? We have the LDAP server set up and I can select it from within the Workgroup Manager, but when I try and authenticate, I get a "login information is not valid" error. How would we set up a user on the Windows LDAP server correctly?

CatOne
Mac Elite
Oct 31, 2006, 01:56 PM

Alright, I've got all of the users showing up in Workgroup Manager and authenticating with Active Directory, but I can't get mail settings I create to stick. I change mail from 'none' to 'enabled,' click 'save,' select a different user, then go back to the original user, and the mail settings are back to 'none.' If I try and create a new preset, I get the error "eDSNoStdMappingAvailable (-14140)."
Any ideas? Could I instead get users via LDAP? We have the LDAP server set up and I can select it from within the Workgroup Manager, but when I try and authenticate, I get a "login information is not valid" error. How would we set up a user on the Windows LDAP server correctly?
Active Directory *is* LDAP.

The issue you have now is that your home directory locations are screwed up. The system probably doesn't know where to find them. You need to log onto the directory using Workgroup Manager and set up the home directory... you probably want it to be on the local hard drive.

You really need to read the user management guides at www.apple.com/server/documentation, or take Apple's class on this. It's all rather straightforward, but not something I have the time to provide a walkthrough for here ;-)

Forum Links
Forum Rules