Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Will USB Device Power Ceiling Speakers?

Will USB Device Power Ceiling Speakers?
KeyLimePi
Mac Elite
Feb 13, 2007, 06:10 PM

This may not be the right forum, but the A/V forum is closed so...

My girfriend and I are moving into a new house with ceiling speakers in two rooms. Both speakers end in the same room (soon to be the computer room) with RCA jack inputs. I would like to be able to run audio out of my Powermac into the RCA jacks, but the speakers aren't powered so I'm not sure how to do this.

I found this device, which is basically a USB to RCA adapter. Will this be enough to power these speakers, or am I going to need something with an amp in the lineup.

Thanks.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Feb 13, 2007, 06:55 PM

USB is 2.5W max... so if your speakers plus that adapter need more than 2.5W, you need powered speakers.

KeyLimePi  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 14, 2007, 03:07 PM

Thanks. That's kinda what I figured, but I was hoping not.

If anyone can think of a simplier solution, other than buying a separate receiver or a pre-amp, let me know. I'd love to use my Mac's USB or even Firewire port if possible.

Or...I wonder if there is a PCI Express card that will do what I need? Think that's asking too much?

Forum Links
Forum Rules