Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Favorite Earbuds

Favorite Earbuds
::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 20, 2007, 08:02 PM

So I'm in the market for a new pair of earbuds. My current pair, (Sony MDR-EX71's), are wearing out. I love em, but one of the wires is now exposed and will soon die I'm sure.

So I'm wondering if anyone has any favorite earbuds? I prefer the more in-ear style, like my Sony's. They are more comfortable to me. I'm looking for something that sounds decent, and doesn't cost too much.

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 20, 2007, 08:24 PM

why not just buy a new pair, or something close? since you like the ones you have now

-a

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Feb 20, 2007, 08:25 PM

Exposed wires don't necessarily mean death for the buds. My original pair of iPod earbuds continued to work long after the wires were exposed.

I have only had experience with three kinds of earbuds: cheap Sony, old iPod standard and Apple In-Ear. As you can probably guess, the In-Ear are my favorite pair. Many don't care for them, though.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

::maroma::  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 20, 2007, 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by brassplayersrock View Post
why not just buy a new pair, or something close? since you like the ones you have now

-a
Actually, I most likely will get a new pair of the one's I already have. I was just wondering if there are some out there that I'm missing that are just too good to pass up. But as I look around more, I'm finding that the one's that sound awesome are quite a bit more expensive than these $50 Sony's.

Exposed wires don't necessarily mean death for the buds. My original pair of iPod earbuds continued to work long after the wires were exposed.
Did you leave them exposed? I suppose I could use some tape to cover them back up. At least it would extend the life of these a bit longer.

macforray
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 20, 2007, 09:21 PM

Oh... EARBUD. Sorry.
macforray

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 20, 2007, 09:23 PM

a) heat shrink tubing available at radio shack will cover the wires nicely.

b) my favorite pair is EarPeace LiveWires. They were custom fitted for me at Macworld. The owner of the company stuffed cotton in my ears, shot silicone into the ear canal, and then pulled the silicone out by removing the cotton. 4 weeks later, I have custom molded headphones.

It's very similar to what I imagine it would be to get fitted for a hearing aid - but the headphones are fantastic.

I hated wearing ear buds before them, and now I can.

GSixZero
Mac Elite
Feb 20, 2007, 09:25 PM

I have Shure E2Cs. They're probably a little over priced, but I quite like them.

ImpulseResponse

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 20, 2007, 10:13 PM

i have the 71's as well, bought them on ebay in yuppie white. they've held solid other than the time they caked with ear wax and i had to melt it out.

Forum Links
Forum Rules