Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > CGI or not CGI?

CGI or not CGI? (Page 2)
residentEvil
Professional Poster
Feb 24, 2007, 12:47 PM

i wanna see more of the flabby belly on the chick in the front right.

HOT and yummy!!!

yeee haw!

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Feb 24, 2007, 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by monkeybrain View Post
He's offended, that is harm, whether you believe he should have been offended or not.

No, offense is not necessarily harm. Offense is usually just somebody taking himself too seriously. He is not actually damaged in any meaningful way. We should try to avoid offending people just because it's polite, but frankly, you can't avoid offending everybody. There will always be some hypersensitive nutbar who gets offended if you make a joke about bananas.

Basically, I think the most beneficial solution is that people need to stop being offended at things that don't cause any harm. It doesn't help anyone. You don't benefit from being offended, and railing against the guy who offended you just gets him offended.
( Last edited by Chuckit; Feb 24, 2007 at 03:39 PM. )
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Buckaroo
Professional Poster
Feb 24, 2007, 04:56 PM

It's a mazing what they are doing with 3d these days.

http://www.3rd-art.com/images/gridgirls01c9.jpg

aristotles
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 24, 2007, 05:57 PM

As a first generation Finnish Canadian, I'm sick of hearing about all this racist crap. Grow up people.

As for stereotyping, I find myself seeing that there is not a lot of genetic diversity in Caucasians. I've seen quite a few people that are dead ringers for myself and many of my relatives.

I think there is quite a lack genetic diversity in all races and the only way to increase diversity is to drop all this race crap and hook up with whomever you wish regardless of race.
--
Aristotle
15" rMBP 2.7 Ghz ,16GB, 768GB SSD, 64GB iPhone 5 S⃣ 128GB iPad Air LTE

Kevin
Baninated
Feb 24, 2007, 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by residentEvil View Post
i wanna see more of the flabby belly on the chick in the front right.

HOT and yummy!!!

yeee haw!

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 24, 2007, 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by aristotles View Post
As a first generation Finnish Canadian, I'm sick of hearing about all this racist crap. Grow up people.
Canadians have it out for the Finnish?

residentEvil
Professional Poster
Feb 24, 2007, 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
i knew that would come creeping up. ha!

monkeybrain
Mac Elite
Feb 24, 2007, 11:03 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
No, offense is not necessarily harm. Offense is usually just somebody taking himself too seriously. He is not actually damaged in any meaningful way. We should try to avoid offending people just because it's polite, but frankly, you can't avoid offending everybody. There will always be some hypersensitive nutbar who gets offended if you make a joke about bananas.

Basically, I think the most beneficial solution is that people need to stop being offended at things that don't cause any harm. It doesn't help anyone. You don't benefit from being offended, and railing against the guy who offended you just gets him offended.
I do agree with you, and hate the PC trend. When I read the joke, I was not offended (although I have a Taiwanese girlfriend), but I did think that this is not the sort of joke that should be made on a public forum. Between friends I would say it is acceptable, then everyone knows the comedian is not racist.

mrtew
Professional Poster
Feb 25, 2007, 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by centerchannel68 View Post
Asians are easy. Try doing that with someone who has eyes that express emotion.
I always noticed that asians have eyes that are shaped differently but never thought of them as expressionless. I work with a lot of asians and a few of them are my good friends. Now I'm going to be looking at their eyes to see if they are emotionally dead and always wondering what they might be hiding. I hope this doesn't ruin any of my personal or professional relationships. I obviously will try not to do this and hope to forget all about your joke before I see any of them tomorrow, but if I can't maybe your second hand reverse-racism will spread to me a bit. That's why racial jokes are not acceptable, not only because people are pussys and get offended but because they are a back door for actual racism to become acceptable in society. If you can say any racist thing you want and then put a smily after it and claim that you're actually the offended one because everyone didn't laugh where does it end? Maybe I think burning crossses in front of black people's houses are a hilarious parody of the KKK.

I love the U.S., but we need some time apart.

centerchannel68
Baninated
Feb 25, 2007, 01:34 PM

K, I find that picture far more offensive than anything else in this thread. It's disgusting.

centerchannel68
Baninated
Feb 25, 2007, 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by mrtew View Post
I always noticed that asians have eyes that are shaped differently but never thought of them as expressionless. I work with a lot of asians and a few of them are my good friends. Now I'm going to be looking at their eyes to see if they are emotionally dead and always wondering what they might be hiding. I hope this doesn't ruin any of my personal or professional relationships. I obviously will try not to do this and hope to forget all about your joke before I see any of them tomorrow, but if I can't maybe your second hand reverse-racism will spread to me a bit. That's why racial jokes are not acceptable, not only because people are pussys and get offended but because they are a back door for actual racism to become acceptable in society. If you can say any racist thing you want and then put a smily after it and claim that you're actually the offended one because everyone didn't laugh where does it end? Maybe I think burning crossses in front of black people's houses are a hilarious parody of the KKK.
Yep, that's totally the same thing. No straw-man argument there, no sir.

JoshuaZ
Professional Poster
Feb 25, 2007, 09:16 PM

Blah. Everyone is a little bit racist. Everyone. About something. Its a fact of life, society, or just something built into our DNA. I`d just be happy if everyone would stop being dicks and stop complaining about the small things.

This from a guy who every day is the minority everywhere he goes, in one of the most xenophobic and racists countries in the world. Nothing is more fun than having a packed train, yet no one will sit near you. Or having people get off buses just because you get on. Or having everyone assume everything about you because you`re white. (Or being super surprised that you can use chop sticks. I`ve been living here for a year and a half, you see me using chop sticks every day at lunch, why are you still suprised about it!)

Anyone who complains about racism who isn`t a minority try living somewhere where you are, then go back and see if the little stuff really matters.e

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Feb 26, 2007, 12:11 AM

It's official: MacNN is comprised almost entirely of "glass is half empty" folks. It's CG, and it looks pretty dang good to me.

Goldfinger
Professional Poster
Feb 26, 2007, 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by JoshuaZ View Post
Blah. Everyone is a little bit racist. Everyone. About something. Its a fact of life, society, or just something built into our DNA. I`d just be happy if everyone would stop being dicks and stop complaining about the small things.

This from a guy who every day is the minority everywhere he goes, in one of the most xenophobic and racists countries in the world. Nothing is more fun than having a packed train, yet no one will sit near you. Or having people get off buses just because you get on. Or having everyone assume everything about you because you`re white. (Or being super surprised that you can use chop sticks. I`ve been living here for a year and a half, you see me using chop sticks every day at lunch, why are you still suprised about it!)

Anyone who complains about racism who isn`t a minority try living somewhere where you are, then go back and see if the little stuff really matters.e
Very true.

iMac 20" C2D 2.16 | Acer Aspire One | Flickr

Gee4orce
Professional Poster
Feb 27, 2007, 12:39 PM

Pah - I want to see a proper use of this technology. Like using it to make nudie shots

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 27, 2007, 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
It's official: MacNN is comprised almost entirely of "glass is half empty" folks. It's CG, and it looks pretty dang good to me.
We're giving it the critical eye. No one says its crap.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Feb 27, 2007, 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by Gee4orce View Post
Pah - I want to see a proper use of this technology. Like using it to make nudie shots
OK:
Pretty SFW unless tasteful cgi-breasts offend

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

hart
Senior User
Feb 27, 2007, 07:20 PM

saying "I was just joking" is something children say as a weak excuse for being mean. And I say to the children "saying something hurtful and then saying it was just a joke doesn't make it less hurtful."

This isn't PC sourness, it's common courtesy.

Saying people of another race than you have expressionless faces is a)not funny and b)racist and a racist joke is no less an example of racism than a political speach.

Of course, knowing the source I'm not suprised.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Feb 27, 2007, 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by hart View Post
Of course, knowing the source I'm not suprised.
I will have to defer to your greater expertise on lacking courtesy and saying hurtful things.
Chuck
___

scaught
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 27, 2007, 07:59 PM

My best friend in High School was from Nepal. My boss and basically '2nd father figure' in my life was Japanese. You're barking up the wrong tree.
I was with you until the "some of my best friends are ___" defense. Cmon rob, you're smarter than that.

Kevin
Baninated
Feb 28, 2007, 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by - - e r i k - - View Post
Nothing... (Link Broke)

BTW Rob once told me asian women have horizontal vaginas.

Is that true?

centerchannel68
Baninated
Feb 28, 2007, 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by scaught View Post
I was with you until the "some of my best friends are ___" defense. Cmon rob, you're smarter than that.
It's nothing to do with being smart. My point was that OBVIOUSLY I'm not serious about it, since my best friend throughout HS was asian, and so is my 2nd dad. It was OBVIOUSLY a joke, hence why many people were laughing about it. But hey, if you want to be a big pussy and get sand in your vagina and upset about it, go ahead. I'm done with this thread. wah wah wah.

PS: I like how Tirisas or whatever won't answer my questions about ignorance and humor. He knows he's wrong.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Feb 28, 2007, 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by scaught View Post
Eh, using a weak defense against a weaker accusation, you're still coming out on top.
Chuck
___

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 28, 2007, 11:17 AM

Let's put all the bickering over Asians' appearances aside. Instead, I'm sure we can agree they're all really good at math, though.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Feb 28, 2007, 07:28 PM

Nothing... (Link Broke)
Odd. article link

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

mrtew
Professional Poster
Feb 28, 2007, 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by Dakar² View Post
Let's put all the bickering over Asians' appearances aside. Instead, I'm sure we can agree they're all really good at math, though.

Outrageous! I'm truly outraged! Now you've gone too far!

I love the U.S., but we need some time apart.

centerchannel68
Baninated
Feb 28, 2007, 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by Dakar² View Post
Wah! I take offense to that since a close friend is Asian! Now I won't be able to look at him the same way again because I'll wonder if he's good at math! Wah wah! You can't make jokes about anything even if it's obviously a joke because I have sand in my vagina! Wah! Culturally insensative! Wah!

JoshuaZ
Professional Poster
Feb 28, 2007, 08:58 PM

I wish someone would lock this thread. Its getting way out of hand.

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 28, 2007, 11:50 PM

Originally Posted by JoshuaZ View Post
I wish someone would lock this thread. Its getting way out of hand.
By my calculations, it could happen any moment. If only the girl in the OP were real, she could double-check them.

Tiresias
Mar 1, 2007, 03:24 AM

PS: I like how Tirisas or whatever won't answer my questions about ignorance and humor. He knows he's wrong.
What question?

Kevin
Baninated
Mar 1, 2007, 07:42 AM

hart
Senior User
Mar 1, 2007, 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
I will have to defer to your greater expertise on lacking courtesy and saying hurtful things.
I think we're all experts on Rob at this point.

centerchannel68
Baninated
Mar 1, 2007, 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by Tiresias View Post
What question?
I've asked you twice. Please go back and find it, it's not that hard.

Hint: It has a picture of a redneck near it. Both times.

Tiresias
Mar 1, 2007, 12:47 PM

I don't get that photo.

What's he protesting?

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 1, 2007, 12:48 PM

WONG!

scaught
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 1, 2007, 02:34 PM

It's nothing to do with being smart. My point was that OBVIOUSLY I'm not serious about it, since my best friend throughout HS was asian, and so is my 2nd dad. It was OBVIOUSLY a joke, hence why many people were laughing about it. But hey, if you want to be a big pussy and get sand in your vagina and upset about it, go ahead. I'm done with this thread. wah wah wah.

You're so cute when you flatter yourself.

centerchannel68
Baninated
Mar 1, 2007, 02:41 PM

I don't get that photo.

What's he protesting?
It doesn't matter what he was protesting. The 'humor' is that he's obviously some ignorant redneck, and he's protesting people to 'get a brain', and then calls them 'morans'. MORANS. Did he mean 'morons'?

Hence, that picture has been all over the internet, because it's HILARIOUS. Why? Because of his ignorance. Hence, MAKING FUN OF HIS IGNORANCE IS FUNNY.

motoyen
Forum Regular
Mar 1, 2007, 10:05 PM

I don't know many Asians would find it funny.

It's an in-joke for non-Asians who share the outgroup blindspot of thinking Asian eyes express less emotion that those of non-Asians.

It's not that big a deal. I just don't think stupid racial stereotypes should be passed off as harmless jokes.
I'm Asian and I find it funny.

SSharon
Professional Poster
Mar 2, 2007, 12:03 AM

It doesn't matter what he was protesting. The 'humor' is that he's obviously some ignorant redneck, and he's protesting people to 'get a brain', and then calls them 'morans'. MORANS. Did he mean 'morons'?

Hence, that picture has been all over the internet, because it's HILARIOUS. Why? Because of his ignorance. Hence, MAKING FUN OF HIS IGNORANCE IS FUNNY.
My law school put up new signs this morning warning us that some exit doors are now alarmed. The sign said "Attentin" c'mon, it's a damn law school.
AT&T iPhone 5S and 6; 13" MBP; MDD G4.

Tiresias
Mar 2, 2007, 01:42 AM

Yeah, it's funny, but what's your point?

Mocking the photo is not racist humour. It's mocking ignorance, or bad spelling, or bad hair. And that's qualitatively a different thing.

Apples and oranges. Overruled.

centerchannel68
Baninated
Mar 2, 2007, 10:06 AM

But you said ignorance isn't funny. You lose.

Forum Links
Forum Rules