Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Best Powermac out to my receiver?

Best Powermac out to my receiver?
KeyLimePi
Mac Elite
Feb 24, 2007, 03:36 PM

I just got a new receiver for our ceiling-mounted speakers. It's a Sherwood RX-4105 (on sale at Circuit City for $79.99), and the only input is by RCA jacks. I'm wondering the best way to go out of my G5 and into the receiver, preferably without using the stereo out jack, which I currently have connected to my desktop JBLs.

I was thinking I could get a USB adapter, like the iMic, but that would mean giving up one of my USB ports. I'd love to use the optical audio out, since it's not doing anything, but I don't know much about toslink cables. Is there a way to use this to get to an analog/RCA input? Or should I do something else altogether?

Any suggestions are appreciated.

spice003
Forum Regular
Feb 27, 2007, 01:43 AM

get a y splitter then you can use them both

KeyLimePi  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 27, 2007, 03:01 PM

You know, after some thought I've decided I'm going to use an Airport Express with Air Tunes. The Airport has a steror out jack, and I can get a cheap adapter cable with RCA jacks on one end and mini-plug on the other.

Even though the receiver will only be about 10 feet from my Powermac, I like not having to worry about the extra cabling. Plus I like how Air Tunes works with iTunes, so I can play music from either my desktop or my laptop. I've played with Air Tunes before and I really don't think there will be any discernable signal loss.

Forum Links
Forum Rules