Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > 15.2" Aluminium powebook RAM problem?

15.2" Aluminium powebook RAM problem?
+ spiral +
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 22, 2003, 12:15 PM

I've read a few threads that refer to some horror stories about the 15" but can't find those threads.

I got a 512mb memory stick from 18004Memory and it doesn't work at all. I called 18004Memory and they said alot of manufacturers are pulling the chips from their sites or not saying they are for the 15" because "alot of people are having issues and apple knows about it"... he suggested returning my machine to Apple and that Apple is recalling some of the units.

Could people please relay their experiences with 3rd party RAM? I've read a few people who have had no problem at all. Thanks.

+ spiral +  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 22, 2003, 01:38 PM

Looking through these boards and the Apple.com boards, it sounds like maybe 18004memory is just a sucky vendor and was (it seems to me) just trying to save face. Can anyone confirm or deny that?

Also, if you've had no problems adding 512mb of memory to your powerbook 15", could you please say where you got your memory? Thanks.

Dennis the Phantom Menace
Forum Regular
Oct 22, 2003, 01:41 PM

Apple machines are a bit finicky when it comes to RAM. For some reason they only work with high quality goods. Problems arise because many vendors sell crummy RAM. Try crucial.com next time.

machem
Forum Regular
Oct 22, 2003, 01:42 PM

The only "problem" with the HW is that it appears to be quite picky about the quality of the RAM. I'd go with the choir here and use a vendor like Crucial or OWC. These guys provide quality RAM, and will take back faulty stuff, no question (and not blame your HW).

I got a 512, shipped for $107 from OWC. How much less was this place? I think we are being spoiled by the overall low cost of RAM, so $5 savings seems like a lot (it is 5%, after all, right?), but with RAM so cheap, you really need to think of how much your time is worth.

Good luck.
1.25GHz 1024M SD 15" AlBook

+ spiral +  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 22, 2003, 01:54 PM

You know, this was the one time i DIDN'T buy from crucial or OWC and i got burned. Thanks for the comments. The ram was $109 from 18004Memory. $10 less than OWC. I'm so sorry!! "I'll never not buy from OWC again x 100"

I just got 2 512 sticks from OWC, but it was $119. When did you get the $107 deal?

Thanks again.

machem
Forum Regular
Oct 22, 2003, 02:02 PM

Originally posted by + spiral +:
You know, this was the one time i DIDN'T buy from crucial or OWC and i got burned. Thanks for the comments. The ram was $109 from 18004Memory. $10 less than OWC. I'm so sorry!! "I'll never not buy from OWC again x 100"

I just got 2 512 sticks from OWC, but it was $119. When did you get the $107 deal?

Thanks again.
Ordered mine Sept. 16, right after I ordered the 'book. Damn price fluctuations.
1.25GHz 1024M SD 15" AlBook

bamchum
Forum Regular
Oct 22, 2003, 02:55 PM

I've read a few threads that refer to some horror stories about the 15" but can't find those threads.

I got a 512mb memory stick from 18004Memory and it doesn't work at all. I called 18004Memory and they said alot of manufacturers are pulling the chips from their sites or not saying they are for the 15" because "alot of people are having issues and apple knows about it"... he suggested returning my machine to Apple and that Apple is recalling some of the units.

Could people please relay their experiences with 3rd party RAM? I've read a few people who have had no problem at all. Thanks.
How can they not offer you a refund if the memory was sold as specifically for the PowerBook 15" and it doesn't work in it? That's false advertising, not a "compatibility problem."

C-Bear
Forum Regular
Oct 22, 2003, 02:55 PM

Originally posted by Dennis the Phantom Menace:
Apple machines are a bit finicky when it comes to RAM. For some reason they only work with high quality goods.
Water seeks its own level.
When the wine is bitter, become the
wine

acedloring
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 22, 2003, 05:48 PM

Its funny, I too ordered a 512 memory stick for my 15" 1.25ghz and it caused all sorts of problems with my computer (let alone that my screen has gotten the white spots twice). 18004memory gave me the same excuse: that there was an "industry wide" memory problem and that Apple is going to recall the powerbooks. Obviously this would be a nice thought but 99% likely to be a way to "save face" as someone else put it. I have heard that other people are having better luck with memory from other vendors. When I finally get my PB back from repair I will either buy from crucial, otherworld, or Ramjet.

+ spiral +  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 22, 2003, 10:03 PM

Originally posted by bamchum:
How can they not offer you a refund if the memory was sold as specifically for the PowerBook 15" and it doesn't work in it? That's false advertising, not a "compatibility problem."
Sorry. I didn't mean to imply that they weren't giving me a refund. To their credit, they are refunding everything without my asking as well as the shipping. The "industry wide problem - return to apple" was just to throw me off the trail. It worked well because i spent 40 minutes researching this epidemic which is pretty much my machine and any others that have memory from 18004Memory. Also to their credit, they don't have any memory listed for the 15" PB, but DealRam lists 18004Memory as having 15" PB memory with the price. That is how i found it. I think DealRam is probably doing them a disservice. Since they don't actually list the 15" on their site, they could have told me to screw myself but were very cool about giving me a refund.

When i called OWC they said when the 15" PB first came out there were problems with the ram because apple didn't release the hardware spec in time, but ever since those first few rocky weeks they haven't had any issues. So, for memory that is sure to work OWC is one good place to go.

bamchum
Forum Regular
Oct 24, 2003, 03:27 AM

Sorry. I didn't mean to imply that they weren't giving me a refund. To their credit, they are refunding everything without my asking as well as the shipping. The "industry wide problem - return to apple" was just to throw me off the trail. It worked well because i spent 40 minutes researching this epidemic which is pretty much my machine and any others that have memory from 18004Memory. Also to their credit, they don't have any memory listed for the 15" PB, but DealRam lists 18004Memory as having 15" PB memory with the price.
I'll think that you'll find that they do have memory listed for the 15" Powerbook.

Well, today I finally got my 2 512MB RAM chips, one from 1800MEMORY and the other from OWC. I've had them in the machine for several hours now and haven't had the slightest problem even though I feared the worst.

MacServer
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 24, 2003, 08:07 PM

I bought my 15" memory from MemoryX (Swissbit), and they worked without any problem. Many brands doesn't work after a machine sleep, but this one does.
They also carry Samsung memory, which is the OEM brand that Apple sells. I highly recommend this store for memory upgrades.

HouseSold
Senior User
Oct 25, 2003, 12:07 AM

Great service and success with www.oempcworld.com

What's unique is they will buy your other memory back from you, not really a trade-in, but keeps your desk drawer from filling up with old sticks.

Great service and good prices.

Been buying from them for several years.

arajara
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 28, 2003, 06:18 AM

Originally posted by MacServer:
I bought my 15" memory from MemoryX (Swissbit), and they worked without any problem. Many brands doesn't work after a machine sleep, but this one does.
I got my 512 MB for the new AlBook from OWC and it made the computer crash a lot? So they sent me another stick within a week. But sometimes I am not able to wake up from sleep. Is that what you are talking about MacServer?

Forum Links
Forum Rules