Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > 17" PowerBook Ship Date "Pool"

17" PowerBook Ship Date "Pool" (Page 2)
maelstrom65
Forum Regular
Mar 11, 2003, 07:29 PM

Well hell. Just looked at my "Order Status" page and the date which had said 03/11/2003 now says 04/15/2003. Knew something was gonna happen...time to get on the phone and rip the apple guy/gal a new one I guess. This is bullshit.

"Hermann Goering would have been better than Rimmer. Okay, he was a drug-crazed transvestite
but at least we could have gone dancing" - David Lister 3rd Technician JMCS Red Dwarf

PowerBook G4 17"
ADS External FW HD Enclosure w/ a WD120Gb 7200 RPM Drive
30Gb iPod
Logitech MX500 Optical Mouse
Logitech Elite Keyboard
Sony SJ22 Clie'
Powermate
Powerwave
iCurve
iBot Pro (Deceased)
iSight

AssassyN
Professional Poster
Mar 11, 2003, 07:36 PM

Originally posted by maelstrom65:
Well hell. Just looked at my "Order Status" page and the date which had said 03/11/2003 now says 04/15/2003. Knew something was gonna happen...time to get on the phone and rip the apple guy/gal a new one I guess. This is bullshit.

Agreed! That is insane! If mine changes I'm going to be an ill individual, of course, mine's pretty far off to begin with. Please call, and let us know what goes down.
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

donny31
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 11, 2003, 07:36 PM

Thats impossible: They do not change your order status date --they will email you if they go over and tell you that they apologize and you can either get your money back or cancel your order. they also set a new date for you. --is that what they did?

badnewsblair
Senior User
Mar 11, 2003, 07:40 PM

Yeah, I haven't checked my order status recently (4.30.03) because I'm at home on spring break and my number is on my PEECEE at my apartment. I would be pissed if they move my date any further back! I'm so far at the end of the line I guess it doesn't matter anyways...

Heheheh, I just noticed that I am a "Senior Member" on the boards here. Pretty impressive since my first post was Feb. 19th. Not even a month's worht of work.

Assassyn, what is your on or before date?
[ 15 inch Macbook Pro 2.8 GHz Core 2 Duo ][ 20 inch Intel iMac 2 GB RAM / 256 MB ATI XT 1600 ][ iPhone OG (3GS on Reservation)][ White iPod 5th Gen. 60GB ]

maelstrom65
Forum Regular
Mar 11, 2003, 07:43 PM

I got no email notification. I've been checking the page 3 or 4 times a day for a few days now as the old shipping date approached. I just checked it 20 min ago and saw the date had changed. I phoned Apple and the woman I talked to was nice enough considering I was half a decible short of yelling at her. She had no info as to why it was delayed and reiterated that the estimated shipping date isn't fixed in stone and that it could very well ship before then. I realize that it's just a ploy to keep me hopeful it will arrive before then. This thing is costing me over 6000 CAD and having it delayed is pissing me off to no end (as I'm sure it's pissing everyone else off too). I'm deploying to the middle east soon and would kinda like to have it before I go considering it's gonna be hard as hell getting it to me once I leave.

"Hermann Goering would have been better than Rimmer. Okay, he was a drug-crazed transvestite
but at least we could have gone dancing" - David Lister 3rd Technician JMCS Red Dwarf

PowerBook G4 17"
30Gb iPod
Logitech Elite Keyboard
Sony SJ22 Clie'
Powermate
Powerwave
iCurve
iBot Pro (Deceased)
iSight

swsteckly
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 11, 2003, 07:52 PM

My rep at macmall is now telling me the first week of April. I can't believe it.

What happened to the 7-10 week deal? That's next week, not the first week of April!

MacMall <--- for me to poop on!

LosJackal
Forum Regular
Mar 11, 2003, 08:02 PM

I wish Apple could have given you more information. Just realize that 4/15 is precisely 5 weeks from today, and buying one new today has a window of 3-5 weeks.

So all they're doing is admitting they're not meeting the deadline today, and putting out a new outermost date for shipping. Hardly useful information, I agree!

Apple has 7 days left to meet the original 7-10 week estimate, and it looks like they are going to use every day of it. Given the buzz lately, I believe the computers will begin to be widely available beginning next week, so I'm taking comfort in that I ordered early and directly from Apple....no middle reseller relaying it to me.

Still crossing fingers....
"Sawtooth" G4 450 desktop + SuperDrive
"Pismo" G3 500 PowerBook SOLD!
"Hammerhead" G4 PowerBook arrived!
www.canyouhearmenow.com

maelstrom65
Forum Regular
Mar 11, 2003, 08:09 PM

Originally posted by LosJackal:
I wish Apple could have given you more information. Just realize that 4/15 is precisely 5 weeks from today, and buying one new today has a window of 3-5 weeks.

So all they're doing is admitting they're not meeting the deadline today, and putting out a new outermost date for shipping. Hardly useful information, I agree!

Apple has 7 days left to meet the original 7-10 week estimate, and it looks like they are going to use every day of it. Given the buzz lately, I believe the computers will begin to be widely available beginning next week, so I'm taking comfort in that I ordered early and directly from Apple....no middle reseller relaying it to me.

Still crossing fingers....
That's the part that pisses me off the most actually. Not the delay itself (which I saw coming anyway), but the fact that I got no explanation as to why there is a delay or even notification that they had changed the date...that's poor customer service imho.

PowerBook G4 17"
30Gb iPod
Logitech Elite Keyboard
Sony SJ22 Clie'
Powermate
Powerwave
iCurve
iBot Pro (Deceased)
iSight

Mr Creosote
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 11, 2003, 09:03 PM

July 14th.

Where do I pick up my prize?

Patcarla
Mac Elite
Mar 11, 2003, 09:37 PM

A bit off topic but I don't want to post anew topic..I wonder if there is any way to get an estimate of how many 17" PB order have been placed since it was announced???
Powerbook 1.67ghz 15" (100GB HD, 128MB VRAM, 1.5GB RAM)

gator
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 12, 2003, 12:01 AM

Heh, if it takes this long (and for those of you who have the 17" PB on order I hope not) Fred Anderson may mention some sort of unit numbers during their next quarterly earnings conference call, probably sometime in mid-April.
12" PB 1 GHz Combo, 60GB, 512MB, AE
40GB iPod

AssassyN
Professional Poster
Mar 12, 2003, 12:05 AM

My "On or Before Date" is 4/7/03...not too bad in my opinion
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

yerrow
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 12, 2003, 04:28 AM

Sigh...

Got a word from my frequent mac shop that it's delayed, after so many false alarms last week. But he said that he's damn sure that we'll all see it before March ends.

So, it's waiting and waiting again.

I'm going to ignore about getting it. Maybe it will appear then?

Dave Hagan
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 12, 2003, 08:36 AM

You know what would be really pathetic if people who ordered their Dell 8500s last week go their notebook before everyone who ordered their 17" PowerBook TWO MONTHS ago. Afterall, the unofficial ship date of the new Dell Inspiron 8500 15.4 wide screen notebook is April 15th.
Dave Hagan | Apple Certified Technical Coordinator | iMac G5 1.9GHz | PowerBook G4 1.5GHz | Power Mac G4 933 MHz

HvyMtlMdns
Forum Regular
Mar 12, 2003, 09:31 AM

I just spoke with an Apple rep about my order. He told me that it would ship within the 7-10 week window and that it would ship "no later than March 25th." This was the same "on or before date" I was given on February 12th. FYI - I ordered mine on 1-9-03 via my university's campus computer store. Here's hoping Apple can stick with this date.

I'm getting close to the time where I really could use this laptop.
MacMini 2.0 Ghz C2D/160GB/2GB RAM/8x Dual-Layer SD/3X 1 TB Ext HDs; iMac C2D 20" 2.66 GHz/320GB/2GB RAM/8x Dual-Layer SD/20" Display with external 20" Apple Cinema Display; PB G4 1.67 GHz 17"/250GB/1 GB RAM/8x Dual-Layer SD; 5G iPod Classic 160GB; 2G iPod Shuffle; AppleTV

Appleman
Mac Elite
Mar 12, 2003, 12:39 PM

April first

Rjtz15
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 12, 2003, 02:06 PM

my guess is 3/25

here's something to ponder: apple's priorities. if an individual orders a single 17-incher and spends over 4 grand to get it fully loaded, that person would be on a lower priority for Apple in comparison for 3rd party retails that may order, say, a thousand, right? so, i'm thinking that apple will first ship to retailers before indiviuals because there's more money to be made in selling bulk quantities.

so what does that mean? apple will start shipping to individuals once the orders to retailers are met. i think thats why the dates keep getting pushed back, and thats why for the past 2 weeks apple's site has been saying 3 to 5 weeks for the ship date.

i'm glad mine was ordered through a retailer...

my $00.02

Karim
Senior User
Mar 12, 2003, 02:19 PM

I just spoke to an Apple Store and they said the exact opposite:

That Apple is going to ship the web orders first and to the stores last.

I told him, in my experiences, it was the reverse and he said this time it is going to be different.

FWIW

Rjtz15
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 12, 2003, 02:23 PM

Originally posted by Karim:
I just spoke to an Apple Store and they said the exact opposite:

That Apple is going to ship the web orders first and to the stores last.

I told him, in my experiences, it was the reverse and he said this time it is going to be different.

FWIW
supposedly retailers have started to receive them, but yet it seems that no one has one yet.
-Rich
Bondi iMac
Wallstreet PowerBook G3
Al-Book 17"

DJMike
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 12, 2003, 03:27 PM

Originally posted by Rjtz15:
supposedly retailers have started to receive them, but yet it seems that no one has one yet.
Resellers will get orders first....

Rjtz15
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 12, 2003, 04:55 PM

Originally posted by DJMike:
Resellers will get orders first....
then hopefully people who ordered their PBs from resellers will get them before apple ships to people who ordered them directly.... i'm tired of waiting...
-Rich
Bondi iMac
Wallstreet PowerBook G3
Al-Book 17"

badnewsblair
Senior User
Mar 12, 2003, 05:13 PM

4.7.03 is pretty good Assassyn. I got 4.30.03. So at very least, I can get a reliable report from you before mine arrives.

My two cents is that resellers will get it first. I want to get mine firt so that pisses me off, but I think that makes more sense. Sucks though!
[ 15 inch Macbook Pro 2.8 GHz Core 2 Duo ][ 20 inch Intel iMac 2 GB RAM / 256 MB ATI XT 1600 ][ iPhone OG (3GS on Reservation)][ White iPod 5th Gen. 60GB ]

chrisutley
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 12, 2003, 05:19 PM

On March 17 Apple Computer will ship the 17-inch PowerBook, and you'll see why all this wild speculation is just wild speculation.
MacBook and iMac Core 2 Duo 24"

doyouflip
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 12, 2003, 08:10 PM

On March 17 Apple Computer will ship the 17-inch PowerBook, and you'll see why all this wild speculation is just wild speculation.
Alright...you can't just say that and leave it. Do you have a basis for this statement? If so, what is it? If not, are you saying it based on blind faith, or hopefullness? Throw us a bone here.

ichibod
Mar 12, 2003, 09:24 PM

Yeah, I'm going to agree and say that Apple will stick to its 10 weeks from January 7th and be sometime next week with the people who ordered getting theirs, and then on down the list. I still have 32 days at least, but I'm predicting end of this month. Wishful thinking I suppose =)

orsadude2
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 12, 2003, 10:16 PM

Ok, so it's like this...I've got folks who swear by apple. I decided I'll try one out. Of course I want a powerbook. I heard the 12 and 17 are the newest models and the 15 hasn't had the latest upgrades. I don't know if it's true or not but I wouldn't mind a 15. Then I hear that the 17 is so much more superior than the 15, if I'm gonna plunk down that type of change, I may as well get the 17. So I'm like, cool and I go to look for one. Well I see advertisements all over the place, especially from MACMALL. I even do one of those build sheets online at apple.com. The next thing I know I'm getting this phone call from some apple rep. She says she can hook me and square away this and that. I was ready to pull out the old VISA. I told the rep to hold off, because there is an Apple store in the new Manchester Mall in St Louis. I roll my happy butt out there, some 45 miles away from my house just to see they have everything BUT the 17. I'm like who buys without a test drive these days? The rep called and asked me was I ready? I was like yea, as soon as I actually touch one. I haven't heard from the rep and it's been two weeks.

Question, should I order 1 now or just wait until May. I have no need for one until around 16 May?

Also can I get some more forums listings so I can stay abreast of the situation. You 17in "owners" are cracking me up. Don't worry, I feel your pain. I waited 6 months to recieve a Hurst shifter for my 2001 C5 Corvette. Talk about being torqued to the max!

swsteckly
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 13, 2003, 12:04 AM

I don't think a pre-order would do you much good at this late date, other than tie you to one retailer. Early pre-orders probably got us early buyers a week or two earlier shipment, but now, I don't think it would make much difference. In a week or so, start calling all of the retailers, at least once a day. That way, if they have just a few in, you'd have a better chance of getting one than if you just called every once in a while.

Good luck!

badnewsblair
Senior User
Mar 13, 2003, 03:25 AM

This is addressed to "orsadude2":

I've had the rare opportunity to play with the fabled 17-inch for a significant amount of time and trust me, it is worth the money (and the wait for the 'few' of us that preordered them)!

My advice, wait it out. If you don't need it till' around the 16th of MAY, then wait till like the first of May. The 17-inch will be in stores and you can just waltz right in and buy it right then and there. That's my 1.5 cents.

Appleman
Mac Elite
Mar 13, 2003, 04:10 AM

Originally posted by orsadude2:
I have no need for one until around 16 May?
May 16 sounds like a good guess!
A bit safe guess though...

pamelah
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 13, 2003, 04:37 AM

I just think it's hilarious that no one actually has a clue and all of these are just guesses and speculation on top of rumours....lol. (hence the reason for the "pool" which I joined in at earlier at March 20..it's my third year wedding anniversary and the end of winter (or beginning of spring on the leap year) so things have to happen in threes right? lol

I have no idea when I'll get mine. I ordered on the 18th of February with a distributor...called him up (for the apple student developer hardware discount deal) and so I don't have a little shopping cart I can look at to see the expected date...I'm not sure if that's better or worse.

I finally broke down and called him today though to see if he's heard anything. He said he hasn't heard one word. He said that apple isn't talking and that companies generally don't talk unless they have something good to say. Here's another bit of speculation though....he's thinking the end of the month sounds about when they'll start trickling in.

lol...who knows...I'll just sit back and rub my dry eyes that are dried up from crying about it too much

I can't remember this much anticipation for anything though...even sex for the first time...or any christmas (never knew what i was getting so i couldn't build it up in my head)....nothing. I have built this up so much in my head that sometimes I forget that it's "just" a computer....and having a reliable one will just have to make me work harder! On second thought...do I want a computer at all!?!? LOL
Architecture:Design | 17" alPB | 23" cinema display etc...

Hollywood
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 13, 2003, 07:40 AM

All rumours will point at shipping date of the 1st of April. If you have some addition like me (update to 1Gb, you possibly have to wait a few days longer.
But the good news is that it's coming soon and then we have topics on the experiences of working with the 17"PB.
Don't believe what you see.
See it and Believe it.

Richard Hollywood
Hollywood Special After Effects
www.hollywoodsae.com

badnewsblair
Senior User
Mar 14, 2003, 02:06 AM

"But the good news is that it's coming soon and then we have topics on the experiences of working with the 17"PB."

Done... http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.p...hreadid=146457

(... sorry for the blatant "Neener neener neener!". Had to.)

orsadude2
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 14, 2003, 04:59 PM

thanks...sounds like a plan...now to refinance this mortgage and get some cash out to pay for the thing.....(tax free is the way for me)

Originally posted by badnewsblair:
This is addressed to "orsadude2":

I've had the rare opportunity to play with the fabled 17-inch for a significant amount of time and trust me, it is worth the money (and the wait for the 'few' of us that preordered them)!

My advice, wait it out. If you don't need it till' around the 16th of MAY, then wait till like the first of May. The 17-inch will be in stores and you can just waltz right in and buy it right then and there. That's my 1.5 cents.

chrisutley
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 15, 2003, 12:43 AM

That was mine too!

Originally posted by iChristopher:
I predict... March 17. I hope it's this week, but that's my prediction and I'm sticking with it.
MacBook and iMac Core 2 Duo 24"

issachar
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 15, 2003, 08:13 AM

If you check out my post..."I recieved a tracking number" you will find proof that indeed the 17" powerbook is beginning tos ship. I ordered the day of the keynote and always had a on or before 3/20/03 ship date...and now what do the naysayers do!

Simian
Mar 15, 2003, 10:52 AM

I say today. LOL

I win hahahahaha!
They say the mind bends and twists in order to deal with the horrors of life...
...Sometimes the mind bends so much it snaps in two. :)
TMB-PS2

Karim
Senior User
Mar 15, 2003, 11:15 AM

Looks like the Apple store person I talked to was right. They are shipping web orders out first, before the Apple store gets them... Unlike every other previous time.

Well, hopefully we all get them soon somehow!

Forum Links
Forum Rules