Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > how do you customize a theme using themepark?

how do you customize a theme using themepark?
nycdunz
Senior User
Dec 15, 2004, 08:46 PM

do i need any other tools or should this be enough? I would like to modify themes, like combine different elements from different themes to make my own, can someone please shed some light on how to do this? for example i want to modify milk theme and make the finder bar a black color, and use some buttons from another theme, how would i do this? i been trying to mess around by loading the resrouce files for extras, itunes, etc, and saved it, yet i dont see a change, please help me. What am I doing wrong?

MacMan4000
Mac Elite
Dec 15, 2004, 08:57 PM

Originally posted by nycdunz:
do i need any other tools or should this be enough? I would like to modify themes, like combine different elements from different themes to make my own, can someone please shed some light on how to do this? for example i want to modify milk theme and make the finder bar a black color, and use some buttons from another theme, how would i do this? i been trying to mess around by loading the resrouce files for extras, itunes, etc, and saved it, yet i dont see a change, please help me. What am I doing wrong?
1. apply the theme you want using shapeshifter
2. open themepark
3. in themepark press command+n to make a new guikit
4. select "themes", and click "add"
4. if theme has a single image tiled* across the menu item selection goto step 6.
if the theme has "end-caps"* on the menu item selection goto step 5.
5. click "options", check "enable more menu customization"
6. choose "theme" > "merge with installed elements"
7. begin modding elements in a graphics program. (photoshop is best because themepark has "send to Photoshop" buttons.)

*Examples:
Tiled:

End-caps:

Holigen
Mac Elite
Dec 15, 2004, 11:40 PM

Nice little tutorial there (mac)man.

Now, how does one make the end caps of a window titlebar and metal window (as in eXec) to match the rest of the background (ie taking out that metal there)? And how does one make a good looking apple icon (white's fine).

Heh, this is mainly for a mod to eXec with FP3 that i saw justinp had made.

.: 15" PowerBook G4 - 1.5 GHz - 512 MB RAM - ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 128 MB VRAM - 80 GB HD @ 5400 rpm :.

nycdunz  (op)
Senior User
Dec 16, 2004, 12:48 AM

thanks appreciate the help , okay im having trouble changing the text color of the finder bar up top? I go to text colors, and tried a bunch of them, and go to preview, and still its the same, can you tell me which one is the finderbar text color? and the finder bar pull down menu text colors?

wish somebody can make a list and point out which text fields apply where on the desktop... so it can be much easier to mod...

digitaljames
Mac Elite
Dec 16, 2004, 12:50 AM

thanks appreciate the help , okay im having trouble changing the text color of the finder bar up top? I go to text colors, and tried a bunch of them, and go to preview, and still its the same, can you tell me which one is the finderbar text color? and the finder bar pull down menu text colors?

wish somebody can make a list and point out which text fields apply where on the desktop... so it can be much easier to mod...
Text color changes cannot be seen in preview. You must export and apply the theme.....

nycdunz  (op)
Senior User
Dec 16, 2004, 01:05 AM

Originally posted by digitaljames:
Text color changes cannot be seen in preview. You must export and apply the theme.....
damn that sucks, so everytime you wanna see a change in text color you have to export and apply? geez...

digitaljames can you tell me the best, fastest way to combine elements from multiple themes into 1? do i load up each theme that i want elements from in shapeshifter and save each button that i want into a folder, and repeat for all the themes that i want the elements from, then simply just drag each element into my new theme that i made in themepark?

kinda stuck...

nycdunz  (op)
Senior User
Dec 25, 2004, 09:05 PM

do you guys know where i go in themepark to change the LCD screen color of iTunes and the calculator? I can't seem to find those...

MacMan4000
Mac Elite
Dec 25, 2004, 11:25 PM

do you guys know where i go in themepark to change the LCD screen color of iTunes and the calculator? I can't seem to find those...
Those require an app skin... Its not a system wide resource.

roosta
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 26, 2004, 03:28 PM

Originally posted by MacMan4000:
1. apply the theme you want using shapeshifter
2. open themepark
3. in themepark press command+n to make a new guikit
4. select "themes", and click "add"
4. if theme has a single image tiled* across the menu item selection goto step 6.
if the theme has "end-caps"* on the menu item selection goto step 5.
5. click "options", check "enable more menu customization"
6. choose "theme" > "merge with installed elements"
7. begin modding elements in a graphics program. (photoshop is best because themepark has "send to Photoshop" buttons.)

*Examples:
Tiled:

End-caps:

what themes are these?

MacMan4000
Mac Elite
Dec 26, 2004, 03:34 PM

The top one it plain old aqua graphite. The bottom one is my theme, Avenger. Click my sig to get it.

roosta
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 26, 2004, 03:42 PM

Originally posted by MacMan4000:
The top one it plain old aqua graphite. The bottom one is my theme, Avenger. Click my sig to get it.
wow

its been so long since i used a default apple scheme.

thanks

Forum Links
Forum Rules