Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > VPN connection preparation

VPN connection preparation
tramahound
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 24, 2004, 09:01 AM

I have a customer who just purchased a powerbook and he would like to log into his company's network via VPN. It's my understanding that he should only need to load the Cisco VPN client software, but he is saying he already loaded a version of the Cisco software and it is not letting him connect. I've read briefly about VPN networks, but I have never actually set one up as I do not have this luxury at work and I have never had a customer with this problem. What information should/would I need to get him connected? I cannot get his log on information, as I shouldn't due to security reasons, but what type of info would he need to enter in the client software, would he need matching versions of the application, in other words, if the network is running on, say, Cisco version 4.0 would he also need 4.0 client, or could it work with an older version of the client? What other setting are crucial for the connection? Are there any common problems with a VPN connection that I might be able to look out for in his instance?
Thanks a lot.

Forum Links
Forum Rules