Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > iAlert - for web site update notifications

iAlert - for web site update notifications
opti
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 18, 2004, 12:14 AM

I just noticed this app today as it was updated to version 1.3, and I was surprised to see no mention of it on the boards here. Has anyone checked it out? I haven't given it a try yet, but assuming it works properly, its killer feature for me is the ability to notify you of website updates. I've caught the RSS bug too (using NewsFire for that), but several of the sites I check regularly don't do RSS.

iAlert site

It's free (as in beer) too

Of course, if there's another program that offers this functionality I'd like to hear about it.

Turnpike
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 18, 2004, 12:54 AM

if you know any scripting language, Growl is a great way to work it

write a script (use the included forum growl as a template, if you need) that will notify you on update and also write to a log file so you can check it when you've been away.

I haven't checked the app you linked (will do so presently) but I know you can achieve what I think you described using Growl and a bit of scripting. Of course, if scripting isn't your thing, then you're better off with a complete solution, which I gather this app must be.

Forum Links
Forum Rules