Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > How to "auto minimize" an application upon open?

How to "auto minimize" an application upon open?
nickhos38
Nov 3, 2007, 09:48 AM

I hope I am putting this post into the correct forum...

I would just like to know how I can set an application to minimize automatically when I open it. I actually have the application set to open automatically when I log in, but I want it minimized when it opens.

I understand that I can set the application to hide when it opens upon login, but in this particular case, I would prefer for it to be minimized.

If this obviously sounds like a novice question, I apologize ...I am a novice! Thank you.

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 3, 2007, 10:16 AM

I don't think there is an option to minimize instead of hide when you login.
You could use an Applescript that would open the application and minimize it, and run the Applescript when you login.

nickhos38  (op)
Nov 3, 2007, 10:24 AM

Applescript. I know it exists, but I have know idea how to use it. I'm sorry, but I need to ask if you can give me a hint on how to set up this Applescript...

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 3, 2007, 10:48 AM

set app_to_run to "TextEdit"

activate application app_to_run
tell application "System Events"
tell process app_to_run
keystroke "m" using {command down}
end tell
end tell

* Copy and paste that into Script Editor (/Applications/AppleScript/Script Editor).
* Change the part up there that says "TextEdit" to the exact name of the application you want to open, in quotes.
* File > Save.
* Open your Login Items (System Preferences > Accounts > Login Items) and add the script to there.

zro
Mac Elite
Nov 3, 2007, 12:31 PM

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Nov 3, 2007, 12:37 PM

Out of curiosity, why do you want it minimized instead of hidden?
Vandelay Industries

nickhos38  (op)
Nov 3, 2007, 07:12 PM

Art V., I am using a nifty little app called "Airfoil." It minimizes to the menubar, which is nice, but it does not open in a minimized state, which makes things rather untidy (at least for those of us who proudly suffer from UI-OCD) since I have it set to open upon login.

mdc, the script you gave me successfully opened when I stuck it in my Login Items. Was it supposed to open in the Script Editor, or was it supposed to automatically run? After the script opened in Script Editor, I pressed the "Run" button in the toolbar. This opened up the app, but it did not minimize it. I pressed "Run" a second time, and then the app minimized like it was supposed to.

Am I doing something wrong? How can I get this to work.

I appreciate all the help and posts here. Thanks.

nickhos38  (op)
Nov 3, 2007, 09:45 PM

Ok, I figured out how to make the script work. (You have to save it as an application...not a script! DUH!)

Told you I was a novice.

Thanks for the help. Much obliged.

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 4, 2007, 09:03 PM

Oh yeah, sorry, I forgot to tell you to save it as an application and not a script.
Glad it works.

Forum Links
Forum Rules