Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Quicklooking a just-saved NeoOffice document causes Finder CPU to go to 100%

Quicklooking a just-saved NeoOffice document causes Finder CPU to go to 100%
Ham Sandwich
Aug 7, 2011, 04:48 PM

Just though I would clarify since I've been trying to pin down this problem for the last month.

When selecting a (big spreadsheet, for example) NeoOffice document and previewing it with Quicklook, then working on the document and saving it, clicking back over to the Finder window causes CPU to go to 100% for like 5 seconds. On a larger spreadsheet, Finder just seems to lock up, 100% CPU load indefinitely until forced to close.

When I view another folder (without the NeoOffice document), save the edited document, then switch back to Finder, then I get no Finder load.

Is this a problem with Quicklook or NeoOffice? Which developers should I contact?

If anyone else can confirm this, then definitely try it.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Aug 7, 2011, 05:09 PM

Apple. The Neo/Open/LibreOffice guys have no part of this, it is Quicklook's job to handle the file types it supports, which in this case I'm assuming is OpenDocument (an open file format as its title suggests).

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 7, 2011, 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
Apple. The Neo/Open/LibreOffice guys have no part of this.
Unless they provided the QuickLook plug-in for that certain file type.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Aug 7, 2011, 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by TETENAL View Post
Unless they provided the QuickLook plug-in for that certain file type.

True, although I'd except that it would be Apple writing the plugins themselves based on the specs of the file format.

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 7, 2011, 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
True, although I'd except that it would be Apple writing the plugins themselves based on the specs of the file format.
That is an unreasonable expectation. Apple cannot provide QuickLook plug-ins for any conceivable file type. That's the job of the application provider for that file type.

As far as I can tell Apple provides plug-ins for MS-Office and OpenXML documents, but not for the OpenDocument format.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Aug 7, 2011, 10:08 PM

Originally Posted by TETENAL View Post
That is an unreasonable expectation. Apple cannot provide QuickLook plug-ins for any conceivable file type. That's the job of the application provider for that file type.

As far as I can tell Apple provides plug-ins for MS-Office and OpenXML documents, but not for the OpenDocument format.

Why not? Apple supports opening and saving OpenDoc in iWork, and I think those documents also open in TextEdit, so they've already done the work in supporting the document format.

Forum Links
Forum Rules