Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > If you're gonna make a theme...

If you're gonna make a theme...
TheSpaz
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 14, 2004, 08:46 AM

...Change the ENTIRE interface. It's sickening how many times I see a theme with a half orignal interface and half Aqua. Did this person get lazy and wanted to release the theme quickly, or do they REALLY think it looks good like this?

http://www.resexcellence.com/themes/...wood121_lg.jpg

If I ever make a theme... I'm gonna make it TOTALLY different than Aqua (Nothing against you Max. Smooth Stripes and Aqua Extreme makes Aqua BETTER, not worse)

OptimusG4
Mac Elite
Jan 14, 2004, 09:58 AM

I completely agree. And I also remember when Michael Coyle was webmaster at ResEx, he made the same comment and claimed that he would not allow half themes such as wood to be shown on his site. Looks like that changed when Scott took over.
"Another classic science-fiction show cancelled before its time" ~ Bender

15.2" PowerBook 1.25GHz, 80GB HD, 768MB RAM, SuperDrive

cgc
Professional Poster
Jan 14, 2004, 10:39 AM

It looks pretty cool...but those buttons gotta get changed. You're right, half-done theme.

rhythmicmoose
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 14, 2004, 11:51 AM

I agree. Thank goodness www.macthemes.net only covers, um, complete themes. I get all excited when I see a new theme screenshot on ResEx, but then I blow it up and I'm all disappointed.

RydDragyn
Jan 14, 2004, 01:18 PM

Resexcellence has gone downhill since Scott took over, in many areas. Half-assed themes, stupid polls...I wish he would talk about gui customization instead of himself. Self-indulgent crap too much of the time.

Also- the screenshots section's standards has gone down horribly. 2/3 of the submissions are Aqua-themed. Pretty if you're an Aqua-lover...but it's not customization.

Oh well...I guess that's what you get when you replace a highly qualified technophile with a highly uninspired graphic artist.
( Last edited by RydDragyn; Jan 14, 2004 at 01:28 PM. )

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Jan 14, 2004, 01:20 PM

I can't stand Aqua mods... I haven't used one ever since a Max theme. A brown Aqua is very ugly...
click one

scaught
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 14, 2004, 01:28 PM

i mean. not to be horribly critical of a persons work or anything, and i mean this in the nicest way. and its not like ive done a theme before, but i do have 2 eyeballs that function pretty well behind the refractive glass in my glasses which i guess merits me to say:

that is ugly as f**k.

Twister
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 14, 2004, 04:32 PM

I agree that most things should be changed in new themes, BUT that takes FOREVER. I'd rather someone release themes as they are in progress, than have to wait months for them to get finished. Yes it's nice to see complete themes, but for those of us who want to make themes, but don't have a lot of time, showing off what we have done is good enough for now. I say if it's an incomplete theme than you make sure the version number reflects it so people know that this is an unfinished theme.

smeger
Mac Elite
Jan 14, 2004, 05:47 PM

Yeah, I'm with Twister here. It's hard to make a theme - I'd rather people come out with an incomplete one as part of learning how to make a theme than not try it at all. Todays aqua mod is tomorrows beautifully complete theme. Or something like that.
Geekspiff - generating spiffdiddlee software since before you began paying attention.

OptimusG4
Mac Elite
Jan 14, 2004, 05:50 PM

I agree to a point...if its a work in progress, then say so. Don't release a theme thats half done and expect us to know if its complete or not. If they are a work in progress, then I have nothing to complain about.
"Another classic science-fiction show cancelled before its time" ~ Bender

15.2" PowerBook 1.25GHz, 80GB HD, 768MB RAM, SuperDrive

Patcarla
Mac Elite
Jan 14, 2004, 06:23 PM

Originally posted by smeger:
Yeah, I'm with Twister here. It's hard to make a theme - I'd rather people come out with an incomplete one as part of learning how to make a theme than not try it at all. Todays aqua mod is tomorrows beautifully complete theme. Or something like that.
I agree with you, making a theme is hard and take some time. But what is difficult and time consuming is making each and every elements from scratch.
This ''wood theme'' is 95% a hue shift of aqua so why not appliyng the hue to everything (that can be done is less than a day even if you're in the learning curve)??
Powerbook 1.67ghz 15" (100GB HD, 128MB VRAM, 1.5GB RAM)

bbxstudio
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 15, 2004, 12:36 PM

Originally posted by TheSpaz:
...Change the ENTIRE interface. It's sickening how many times I see a theme with a half orignal interface and half Aqua. If I ever make a theme... I'm gonna make it TOTALLY different than Aqua
Yeah, but that takes time - and nobody around here seems to appreciate that... they'd rather have a million and one uninspired Aqua clones right this minute rather than have to wait for something unique.

EatingPie
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 15, 2004, 01:34 PM

Originally posted by bbxstudio:
Yeah, but that takes time - and nobody around here seems to appreciate that...
Well I appreciate that!

That's just me of course...

What's maybe a bit frustrating are the "announcements" of themes that take 30 years to complete. I think that contributes to impatience... Though it also contributed to that really funny iVapour announcement!

-Pie

Just because I like pie doesn't mean I'm a pussy.

RampantResEx
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 15, 2004, 01:52 PM

Way back when (1999) Michael Coyle gave me the opportunity to share my first attempts in digital art at ResExcellence, that's an amazing thing to me. In turn I want to give everyone that same opportunity to share their work with a larger audience.

The Wood theme does have a lot of Aqua in it still, you have to look beyond that and see how well the other elements play with each other. I've seen where Wood was before this update and the progress is very good - it's a theme worth following for it's potential to become something else as the artist/developer moves ahead.

Scott Chitwood

EatingPie
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 15, 2004, 02:17 PM

On an off-topic note, anyone know where that Space Shuttle Icon in the Wood Screenshot can be found? IE, what Icon set?

-Pie

Just because I like pie doesn't mean I'm a pussy.

solidfox
Jan 15, 2004, 10:24 PM

If I ever make a theme... I'm gonna make it TOTALLY different than Aqua (Nothing against you Max. Smooth Stripes and Aqua Extreme makes Aqua BETTER, not worse) [/B]
Yeah...but I'm sure you'll also understand everyone that didn't have the energy or time to finnish it completely.
Geez...how many resources are there? 500? 1000? (And then all the app makeovers...and icons...if you're really serious)

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Jan 15, 2004, 10:34 PM

Originally posted by bbxstudio:
Yeah, but that takes time - and nobody around here seems to appreciate that... they'd rather have a million and one uninspired Aqua clones right this minute rather than have to wait for something unique.
Now look what you've done guys, you've jadded BBX... Sure hope you appreciate Omega when it's finally done.
click one

Tulkas
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 15, 2004, 11:45 PM

Shameless plug: www.xthemes.net

I think people have gotten really mixed up. Themes like wood are beginner efforts. They are usually fairly ugly and amateur but hey, its a step to better things.

Those cows won't know what hit 'em. They won't know what hit them even after it hits them, because they're cows.

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Jan 16, 2004, 01:30 AM

Originally posted by Tulkas:
Shameless plug: www.xthemes.net

I think people have gotten really mixed up. Themes like wood are beginner efforts. They are usually fairly ugly and amateur but hey, its a step to better things.
It's true, but you could go a bit farther even for a first theme.
click one

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Jan 16, 2004, 02:52 AM

Hey, can I get my Zelda icons edited out of there? I kid, I kid. Whatever. It ain't the best theme I've ever seen, but it ain't the worst, either.

Forum Links
Forum Rules