Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > ClearDock or equivalent for Intel Mac?

ClearDock or equivalent for Intel Mac?
slimmy
Forum Regular
Feb 14, 2006, 05:21 PM

I'm looking for a way to get a transparent dock again with MacOS 10.4.4 for Intel. Are there any apps out there yet?

Thanks

Roberto

ICD2k3
Feb 14, 2006, 05:55 PM

( Last edited by ICD2k3; Feb 14, 2006 at 06:48 PM. )
15" 1.33 Powerbook - 1.25 RAM - 100GB Seagate 5400

rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 18, 2006, 06:39 PM

v2.3.7 of TransparentDock will probably be Universal and due within the next week.

D'Espice
Mac Elite
Mar 6, 2006, 08:27 AM

Well, 2.3.7 is not Universal but PPC only and - surprise surprise - doesn't work on Intel Macs. Are there alternatives? ClearDock doesn't work either (too old)?
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one
pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid across the line broadside,
thoroughly used up, worn out, leaking oil, shouting GERONIMO!"

markus
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 9, 2006, 11:22 PM

anything else besides cleardock and transparentdock that allow you to move the dock position (to the bottom right side) and allow you to set background opacity that is also intel mac capable???

thanks

aneurysm
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 13, 2006, 01:42 AM

markus, tinker tools will do what you are after; its currently only ppc, but it runs fine on my mbp.

-aneurysm
( Last edited by aneurysm; Mar 13, 2006 at 08:38 AM. )
[FONT=Arial]in an extreme example of the proletarians shouldering the blunders of they're "bush league" boss'- i'm a fed.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial Narrow][i realize how crude my grammar can be, no need to point it out; thank you.][/FONT]

iREZ
Professional Poster
Mar 14, 2006, 04:34 PM

onyx can reposition the dock as well...but alas, its only ppc.
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

qnxde
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 15, 2006, 05:40 AM

Just get someone on a PPC mac to apply transparentdock with the settings you want, and then copy their dock to your coreservices folder (and rename your original one) - it will be running in rosetta but then I've never particularly seen Dock.app hogging the CPU so i don't think you'd notice a speed hit. It's worth a shot anyhow.

You can't eat all those hamburgers, you hear me you ridiculous man?

echosphere
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 15, 2006, 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by qnxde
Just get someone on a PPC mac to apply transparentdock with the settings you want, and then copy their dock to your coreservices folder (and rename your original one) - it will be running in rosetta but then I've never particularly seen Dock.app hogging the CPU so i don't think you'd notice a speed hit. It's worth a shot anyhow.
Tried that exact same thing. Don't do it, it will mess up your Intel.

The commands for how the dock 'looks' is stored in a smaller Universal app within the CoreServices file. (the look of your dock is not stored in .PNG or PDF files anymore, mind you)

If you replace the one from your friend it will be PowerPC only and will start to flash then crash your dock on restart, constantly.
I'm from the government and I'm here to help

markus
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 16, 2006, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by aneurysm
markus, tinker tools will do what you are after; its currently only ppc, but it runs fine on my mbp.

-aneurysm
but then i wont have intel only app's on my luv machine!!!

EatingPie
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 25, 2006, 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by markus
but then i wont have intel only app's on my luv machine!!!
I agree fully -- the suggestion to use a PPC verson of an app that's ALWAYS RUNNING is ludicrous (especially when it already exists as Intel).

Now, in the case of TinkerTool, it's a one-off. You run it, it does the settings magic, and then you uninstall it (it writes data to preference files).

In terms of Transparent Dock, where are the files that hold the background/foreground data? I assume they're embedded in the binary executable.

-Pie

Just because I like pie doesn't mean I'm a pussy.

Forum Links
Forum Rules