Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > My iPhone issues

My iPhone issues
tokyo2002
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 20, 2007, 07:40 PM

I have had my iPhone since the first week they came out and I am experiencing issues that almost make me want to get a different phone. (Although I never would)

1) While syncing with iTunes it will constantly connect and disconnect, even during the sync process. Eventually it does sync, but even during the course of writing these last two emails it has connected and disconnected multiple times and I got about 6 could not sync errors in iTunes.

2) I have never experienced more dropped calls in my life!!!!!! Prior to owning the iPhone I was with Sprint for 6 years and was always happy with their service. However, since switching to the iPhone and AT&T I drop calls left and right. Is anyone else experiencing this issue? I live in a large U.S. city, so reception should not be a problem.

This all started to happen to me after the first or second iPhone update. Is anyone else having major issues with their iPhone???

Thanks!!!

Cold Warrior
Nov 20, 2007, 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by tokyo2002 View Post
I live in a large U.S. city, so reception should not be a problem.
You'd be surprised. As Consumer Reports wrote about in an issue earlier this year, cellular reception in the larger metro/urban areas can vary noticeably by provider and city. Verizon was routinely rated tops in almost all places; AT&T was normally second, but did rate 3rd in a couple areas (IIRC).

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 20, 2007, 07:56 PM

Check your dock and/or cable to see if its causing your disconnect issues. Sounds like there's a faulty connection going on there.

And I've had nothing but great luck with reception on my iPhone. I used to have T-Mobile, with a lame Motorola phone, and I couldn't get even 1 bar in my apartment, now I get full reception. And I've only been in a few places where I got low reception. Never had a dropped call (yet).

Cold Warrior
Nov 20, 2007, 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by ::maroma:: View Post
And I've had nothing but great luck with reception on my iPhone. I used to have T-Mobile, with a lame Motorola phone, and I couldn't get even 1 bar in my apartment, now I get full reception. And I've only been in a few places where I got low reception. Never had a dropped call (yet).
did you stay with t-mobile and an unlocked iPhone, or AT&T?

AppleJockey
Forum Regular
Nov 20, 2007, 08:20 PM

tmobile here and no dropped calls

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 20, 2007, 10:04 PM

Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
did you stay with t-mobile and an unlocked iPhone, or AT&T?
Oops, sorry I didn't clarify that, I went with AT&T. I really have no complaints about them thus far.

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 20, 2007, 11:25 PM

1) While syncing with iTunes it will constantly connect and disconnect, even during the sync process. Eventually it does sync, but even during the course of writing these last two emails it has connected and disconnected multiple times and I got about 6 could not sync errors in iTunes.
This happens constantly at work (on a PC) if I try charge my iPhone and Apple bluetooth headset at the same time (on the same cable). If I unplug one of the devices it works fine. I don't think the PC USB ports can supply enough power to power both devices.

Do you have your iPhone plugged into your Mac (PC?) or is it going through a hub or anything? If it is going through a USB hub, try plug it directly into your computer and see if that helps.
Maybe a different USB port?

tokyo2002  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 21, 2007, 10:47 AM

I have my iPhone connected to a Mac through a USB hub. I will try connecting it directing to the mini this evening.

Let me give you a little more background on my connection issues. When I first got the iPhone, my girlfriend still had Sprint and connections were just fine. But now that she has an iPhone too we are constantly droppping calls when we talk to eachother. This is honestly the most frustrating thing. After all it is the i"Phone", and it is not doing a very good job of being a phone. (it does make an excellent iPod though)

QSilver
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 21, 2007, 10:50 AM

2) I have never experienced more dropped calls in my life!!!!!! Prior to owning the iPhone I was with Sprint for 6 years and was always happy with their service. However, since switching to the iPhone and AT&T I drop calls left and right. Is anyone else experiencing this issue? I live in a large U.S. city, so reception should not be a problem.

This all started to happen to me after the first or second iPhone update. Is anyone else having major issues with their iPhone???

Thanks!!!
Not sure if it's the network or the phone, but I think the call quality is very good. Had mine for three weeks now...haven't had a dropped call (or even a serious temporary drop-out).

Earth Mk. II
Mac Elite
Nov 21, 2007, 11:17 AM

I have my iPhone connected to a Mac through a USB hub. I will try connecting it directing to the mini this evening.

Let me give you a little more background on my connection issues. When I first got the iPhone, my girlfriend still had Sprint and connections were just fine. But now that she has an iPhone too we are constantly droppping calls when we talk to eachother. This is honestly the most frustrating thing. After all it is the i"Phone", and it is not doing a very good job of being a phone. (it does make an excellent iPod though)
It's quite possible that AT&T simply has poor coverage where your girlfriend is, or that her building is blocking/interfering with GSM signals (CDMA tends to perform better indoors).
/Earth\ Mk\.\ I{2}/

tokyo2002  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 21, 2007, 07:28 PM

Thanks for the replies so far. It does seem that my USB hub was the cause of the iPhone constantly connecting and disconnecting from iTunes. Now hopefully my call quality will improve!!!
Lewis Skolnick
Skolnick Electronics

Forum Links
Forum Rules