Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Help-pdf!!!!

Help-pdf!!!!
P_lam0
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 8, 2006, 11:50 AM

I have just finished my first semister at Uni and have to put together my coursework into one document. Because the university I go to does not have mac......., i have to save it as a PDF so the fomatting is teh same on the windows PC (saved originally as a .doc using latest version of microsoft word for mac).

I saved the file (.doc) as a PDF through the print dialog box and was shocked to see that it created 10+ different PDF files for the one documet, its as if is creating a new PDF at a section break within word......or summet!!!!

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE can any suggest why it would do this and how to correct it!!!!!!! (ASAP!!)

Cheers

P_lam0

Mithras
Professional Poster
Jan 8, 2006, 12:42 PM

This is a function of how Microsoft Word prints documents -- as you noted, it creates a separate print job for each section. Use something like the freeware CombinePDFs to stitch them together into a single PDF.

Love Calm Quiet
Mac Elite
Jan 9, 2006, 01:09 AM

Yes, the MS Word handling of SECTIONS sucketh.
I've forgotten all the problems I had... but the pagination, etc didn't work right.
I *abandoned* using sections when I have to use Word.

My second (and preferred) solution was to shift to InDesignCS (cheap as PageMaker upgrade).
Now for book-length projects I just use separate InDesign docs for sep chapters and combine them into an InDesign book. The way ID works is probably what MS *intended* Word to be able to do.

PS: Forgot to mention... life is WAY to short to hassle with MSWord.
TOMBSTONE: "He's trashed his last preferences"

rem
Forum Regular
Jan 9, 2006, 06:28 AM

This is just an idea if PDF combining is laborious with your doc... I have not tried it, but it might be worth a try...

Assuming that OpenOffice might do a better job than Word for Mac at generating PDFs, and that it should be able to open your .doc file without messing up formatting (verify that)... OOo might be worth a go.

Perhaps someone else has already tried?

Just a few more ideas...
. Save as rtf in Word. Open in TextEdit and if all looks well print from there.
. Save as HTML and send your prof a link
. A stab in the dark... there might be a way to print directly to a PostScript file (install a PS print driver first?), to see if PS works better than PDF
. Try PostScript
( Last edited by rem; Jan 9, 2006 at 06:41 AM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules