Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Wireless MOUSE (which one to get?)

Wireless MOUSE (which one to get?)
Mallrat
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 29, 2003, 09:59 PM

I woud love to get a wireless mouse. I know there is bluetooth, but aren't there other options?

I'm not sure what they require though.

I mean I guess a dongle is better than some big receiver thing for an ibook.

currenlty I have a logitech optical mouse and it's still my favorite over. For 20 bucks it's just great.

Simple two button mouse with scrollwhell. If they have that one in a wireless form that might be the one for me.

So ibook users, who also use a wireless mouse, which one do you use?

I wish apple would understnad that people want a 2 button mouse and scroll whell are two awesome not to have.

50 bucks for an apple mouse? 20 bucks for a better one.

Anyway, thanks for all your opinions.

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 30, 2003, 07:31 AM

Couldnt you have made on topic and put both topics in them?
Also I think this needs to go into Peripherals...
I love microsoft mice and Apple keyboards personally.
we don't have time to stop for gas

vvedge
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 30, 2003, 10:41 AM

I bought the Apple BT Wireless mouse for $50 with a $20 coupon. It's nice, but only if you really like the Pro Mouse design. But if you had to buy one, get Bluetooth over RF. 3 feet of range just doesn't cut it, i mean for that much just get wired mouse.

Then again, the 2 button thing. Poo I say...
--whats this button do?

Goodbye koobi
... we had fun, but Apple Repair and the years have not been kind to you... godspeed...

fiddler
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 30, 2003, 11:18 AM

I use the Logitech MX700. Lots of buttons (very addictive), and it's comfy. A bit heavy because of the batteries, but I like the fact that the receiver doubles as a recharger.

The Placid Casual
Professional Poster
Oct 30, 2003, 12:28 PM

Originally posted by fiddler:
I use the Logitech MX700. Lots of buttons (very addictive), and it's comfy. A bit heavy because of the batteries, but I like the fact that the receiver doubles as a recharger.

Best. Mouse. Ever.

cantcstr8
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 30, 2003, 02:23 PM

I like my Apple wireless mouse for Bluetooth. The logitech is decent too.

Logitech=SUV with DVD player, sunroof, navigation system

Apple=porsche, goes fast

billybob128
Senior User
Oct 30, 2003, 05:30 PM

personally i like the kensington mouse in a box from www.kensington.com but i cant find a retailer in the uk for the rechargeable one so i might have to go for the non rechargeable

Mallrat  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 30, 2003, 06:19 PM

Originally posted by billybob128:
personally i like the kensington mouse in a box from www.kensington.com but i cant find a retailer in the uk for the rechargeable one so i might have to go for the non rechargeable
I went to play with the wirless mice at compusa. I liked the logitech mouses very much.

All have a slightly different feel. The one I liked best for was the one that I believe comes with the duo keyboard/mouse set and it was 40 for jsut the mouse.

I really liked the microsoft bluetooth mouse, but was unsure if that will works with a mac. It says PC on it. The other microsoft had the apple logo, but not the bluettooth one.

I think they were referring to the software not being compabtible, but do you really need software. Doesnt' OS X just recognize the device.

I bet it would work. I really liked the feel of it.

My questoin would be if I get that mouse, would the apple keyboard work with that bluetooth receiver.

pketelaar
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 30, 2003, 11:48 PM

Originally posted by Mallrat:

I bet it would work. I really liked the feel of it.

My questoin would be if I get that mouse, would the apple keyboard work with that bluetooth receiver.

thats a big 10-4. Im doing it right now on both jaguar and panther. the MS bluetooth reciever is recognized and they apple keyboard works fine. ms mouse is nice!

Mallrat  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 31, 2003, 12:27 AM

Originally posted by pketelaar:
thats a big 10-4. Im doing it right now on both jaguar and panther. the MS bluetooth reciever is recognized and they apple keyboard works fine. ms mouse is nice!
that's is great news. So that means I can buy the mouse (80 bucks I think) and apple keyboard if I choose (70) for a total of

That's better than the apple mouse, d- link and wireless keyboard for 190.

I guess I could get a cheaper keyboard.... but what other bluetooth keyboards are there?

skybolt
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 3, 2003, 12:44 PM

Just a note on the Logitech mice. I have a wireless optical Logitech mouse on my iBook. Since upgrading to Panther, if I close the cover on the iBook to put it to sleep (or any kind of sleep), and move the mouse, it wakes the computer up, even with the lid closed. I contacted Logitech and they said that their products did not support 10.3. They suggested I check back from time to time to see if new drivers are available. Until then, I just make sure not to move the mouse after sleep. Just a head's up!
Mary

ryaxnb
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 3, 2003, 05:34 PM

Logitech Cordless Optical.
Trainiable is to cat as ability to live without food is to human.
Steveis... said: "What would scammers do with this info..." talking about a debit card number!

ryaxnb
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 3, 2003, 05:36 PM

Logitech Cordless Optical. Cheap and reliable.
2 buttons, scroll, cordless RF, nice, Mac-friendly.
Trainiable is to cat as ability to live without food is to human.
Steveis... said: "What would scammers do with this info..." talking about a debit card number!

jtc
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 3, 2003, 09:11 PM

Originally posted by ryaxnb:
Logitech Cordless Optical.
I have one of these at work. The problem with using this with a laptop is that the transmitter/receiver is huge.

I like the targus wireless optical for portable use.

http://www.targus.com/us/product_det...sp?sku=PAWM10U

The transmitter can swivel 90 deg. so that it doesn't stick straight out.

fiddler
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 4, 2003, 09:44 AM

Originally posted by skybolt:
Just a note on the Logitech mice. I have a wireless optical Logitech mouse on my iBook. Since upgrading to Panther, if I close the cover on the iBook to put it to sleep (or any kind of sleep), and move the mouse, it wakes the computer up, even with the lid closed. I contacted Logitech and they said that their products did not support 10.3. They suggested I check back from time to time to see if new drivers are available. Until then, I just make sure not to move the mouse after sleep. Just a head's up!
My MX700 behaves exactly the same under Panther as it did in Jaguar. It doesn't wake up immediately after moving the mouse; you have to really move it around, to tell the OS that you really mean to wake it up. I don't have any trouble with my iBook waking up after slight accidental nudges.

[edit] and yes, this is using Logitech's software. I have Control Center 1.1.1, I think.

On a sidenote: MX700 + Expos� = Godlike app switching

Hold a button (any of the *8*) set to F9, hover to your desired window.. release! Smooooth...
( Last edited by fiddler; Nov 4, 2003 at 11:32 AM. )

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 5, 2003, 08:42 PM

Another vote for the MX-700.
The MX line of mice have the best optical sensor I've ever used. Even the cheap MX-310 on my wife's PC is super responsive and tracks no matter how fast you whip it around.

MacmanX
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 5, 2003, 09:03 PM

I use the Kensington wireless optical mouse. Slightly better range would be nice, but it works flawlessly. It has two buttons and a scroll wheel. Also, the RF receiver stores inside the mouse body (very handy).

I personally can not get used to having two buttons. I always click the wrong one, being used to the Apple Pro mouse. I suppose I could set the other button to act like the real one, but then what's the point of owning a two button mouse? Scroll wheel is nice though (when I remember it's there).

Cheers!
Satellite deployment by:
Ace Moving Co.

Forum Links
Forum Rules