Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > Corel Painter on Intel Mac

Corel Painter on Intel Mac
Hulk
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 31, 2007, 10:21 AM

Has any one had experiences, good or bad, running Corel Painter software on the Intel based Macs? They (Corel) haven't gone "universal" but claim it works OK with Apple's Rosetta, but I'm skeptical.

bluedog
Mac Elite
Feb 1, 2007, 10:41 AM

I still have it installed on my PPC machine. I'll see if I can test it out on my Intel iMac and let you know. I'm guessing you have a little performance hit, but Rosetta is really really astounding with what it does if you have enough RAM.

bluedog
Mac Elite
Feb 2, 2007, 11:21 PM

While I didn't stress it too much, on my 24" iMac with 1GB RAM (2.16mhz core2duo) it seems to run fine. I didn't think it was bad for use. I tested a 1440x800 72dpi image, maybe on a higher rez it would slow.

I think you'll be fine with it for a short-term and then soon enough a UB would work. Is there anything specific you'd like me to try?

I tried a 2880 x 1600, 300dpi and put about 3 layers on. Seemed fine other than the watercolor layer. I haven't used that before on a PPC so I don't know if it is a little slow to begin with or not. Definitely usable.
( Last edited by bluedog; Feb 2, 2007 at 11:35 PM. )

Hulk  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 3, 2007, 03:33 AM

Appreciate your time and effort. This was the last of my concerns regarding Intel Macs and after your posts I went ahead and ordered my new Mac Pro. With twice the RAM and almost twice the clock speed as my present G-4, I shouldn't be slowed too much. My business (portrait painting) is pretty straight foward and I don't get into all the fancy stuff in Painter. Besides, my sources say Corel is in the process of going Universal "some time soon" and I can upgrade the software.

Thanks.
( Last edited by Hulk; Feb 3, 2007 at 03:34 AM. Reason: spell correction)

bluedog
Mac Elite
Feb 7, 2007, 09:50 PM

They just announced PainterX that will be a universal binary. I'd say hold out on this one unless its going to be an upgrade for you anyhow.

http://www.corel.com/servlet/Satelli...=1170190225079

Expected to be available late February, you can preorder it today.

godzookie2k
Mac Elite
Feb 10, 2007, 08:36 PM

I use it all the time on my macbook pro (2.16 2gigs of ram). Its surprisingly not too bad, but it could be way faster.

godzookie2k
Mac Elite
Feb 19, 2007, 04:12 PM

Painter X is shipping by the way, aside from it being a unibin, there isn't much else worth upgrading for. unless you count a whole pile of new bugs.

Forum Links
Forum Rules