Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iOS Apps > iOS 12: Can only get/send messages in wifi

iOS 12: Can only get/send messages in wifi
Thorzdad
Apr 29, 2019, 11:00 AM

Yet more post-iOS 12.2-update fun on my wife's 6s (I got the Photos thing sorted out, but this other issue is a real puzzler)

Ever since her 6s was updated to iOS 12.2, she has not been able to send or receive iMessage texts unless she is in wifi. If she's outside of wifi, the only texts she can receive are old-school SMS texts sent from my old, dumb flip-phone. If I send her an iMessage from my iPad, she will not receive it until she is in wifi. Likewise, if she tries to send me an iMessage when she's outside wifi, it will not be sent until she's back in wifi.

She has "Send as SMS" enabled, but obviously Messages is not obeying. As I noted, she's definitely receiving SMS texts (from my dumb-phone), just not iMessages. And, Messages isn't opting to send as SMS, either.

Everything was working perfectly until her phone was updated to iOS12.2. We're on Verizon, if that matters.

For those who are familiar with the iOS 12 update, were the defaults for any settings changed in that update? Is there anything we might be missing that Apple may have changed? As far as I can tell, all of the settings on my wife's phone are the same as before the update, but I so rarely have to mess with it that I'm not entirely sure.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 29, 2019, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by Thorzdad View Post
Yet more post-iOS 12.2-update fun on my wife's 6s (I got the Photos thing sorted out, but this other issue is a real puzzler)

Ever since her 6s was updated to iOS 12.2, she has not been able to send or receive iMessage texts unless she is in wifi. If she's outside of wifi, the only texts she can receive are old-school SMS texts sent from my old, dumb flip-phone. If I send her an iMessage from my iPad, she will not receive it until she is in wifi. Likewise, if she tries to send me an iMessage when she's outside wifi, it will not be sent until she's back in wifi.

She has "Send as SMS" enabled, but obviously Messages is not obeying. As I noted, she's definitely receiving SMS texts (from my dumb-phone), just not iMessages. And, Messages isn't opting to send as SMS, either.

Everything was working perfectly until her phone was updated to iOS12.2. We're on Verizon, if that matters.

For those who are familiar with the iOS 12 update, were the defaults for any settings changed in that update? Is there anything we might be missing that Apple may have changed? As far as I can tell, all of the settings on my wife's phone are the same as before the update, but I so rarely have to mess with it that I'm not entirely sure.
Try calling Verizon and have the phone reactivated. We had to do that when we added an iPad to get a bogo XS. Verizon put the iPad on the old line. I called and had them switch the XS to the old line to save having to call everyone with the new number. After the switch the XS would only text on WiFi. I had to call and the csr had to reactivate/initialize the phone several times.
45/47

Thorzdad  (op)
Apr 29, 2019, 01:39 PM

Not sure why that would happen, though. The 6s is over a year old and my iPad is at least 4 years old and is a wifi-only model. Nothing’s been added to the line.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 29, 2019, 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by Thorzdad View Post
Not sure why that would happen, though. The 6s is over a year old and my iPad is at least 4 years old and is a wifi-only model. Nothing’s been added to the line.
Could be the SIM card died. I had to get a new one for the 6S plus we had. It had the card from the 5S when I traded it in for the 6S plus.
45/47

Thorzdad  (op)
Apr 29, 2019, 05:10 PM

She can still make/receive phone calls. Still could be the SIM, in some way, I suppose. I tried calling her and got her voice mail. It never showed up in that Visual Voicemail thing Verizon does. Something’s definitely amiss.

P
May 3, 2019, 07:50 AM

Most likely there is an operator settings update that you need for Verizon, and it didn't get applied. Contact them.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Forum Links
Forum Rules