Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Calendar alert questions

Calendar alert questions
kevs
Mac Elite
Nov 7, 2019, 07:23 PM

The tiny little red circle that indicates that that is today on Apple Calendar is just pathetic. Not enough to stand out. I need to have the whole column for the current day shaded in a subtle color. Is this possible? Thanks.

kevs  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 13, 2019, 07:19 PM

I just set my first alert on Calendar but nothing happened. Do I do something to make it happen. And what happens? Thanks.

kevs  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 21, 2019, 01:38 PM

I have reoccurring even on Calendar, but even then sometimes flake out and miss it. I tried to an alert nothing happens. It is supposed to beep or make sounds or what? Thanks!

reader50
Administrator
Nov 21, 2019, 03:09 PM

Events don't make sounds unless you specify an audio alert. Edit the event, add as many alerts (and alert types) as you like.

kevs  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 21, 2019, 04:09 PM

Thanks Reader. I don't see where to add sound, it just has option of when to add an alert. Does not say what alert will be.

reader50
Administrator
Nov 21, 2019, 07:53 PM

Instructions below are for Mojave. Sequence was simpler with earlier OSes. This feels unnecessarily complex.

Click on the Event. In the popup, the Date & Time area. Underneath those, it says "Add Alert, Repeat, or Travel Time". Click on that zone. It expands.

Among the options offered, you want "alert" at the bottom. It's a popup of assorted lead times - select "custom". That creates a new popup.

You want "Message with sound". I haven't tried "Open file" before, but you could select a custom sound file. Hit [ OK ] when done.

With an alert defined, a fresh alert showing "none" should appear below the first one. If not, hover over the bottom alert to make a (+) icon appear - you can add additional alerts as desired. At different lead times, or just more sounds.

kevs  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 22, 2019, 12:22 AM

Thanks Reader. So the sound is some random sound, and does it come on computers and iphone or just device you created it on? And duration?

reader50
Administrator
Nov 22, 2019, 12:53 AM

I'd imagine it is the standard Alert sound you set in Sound prefs pane. Duration is once per alert (set multiple for important events). Don't have any iOS devices to test on, but if Calender syncing is enabled, alerts should carry over.

If you want a different alert sound, record one. Then set the alert to Open your sound file. "Hey retard, you're going to be late. And the keys are by the door, where I left them."

kevs  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 22, 2019, 12:56 AM

Thanks Reader, will see how this goes.. Duration seconds? maybe like alarm.. and shut if off.. we'll see...

Forum Links
Forum Rules