Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > OS X screen capture weirdness

OS X screen capture weirdness
bohdanz
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 14, 2003, 11:07 AM

I'm running 10.2.6 and out of the blue, when I use command+shift+4 to do a screen capture, the resulting picture is in pdf format.

It always used to end up as a TIFF file.

I didn't change any setting anywhere that I can think of.

How do I make TIFF the default again for screen capture?

Thanks in advance.

cybergoober
Mac Elite
Aug 14, 2003, 11:11 AM

The default screen capture format in 10.2.x is pdf. If you want tiff screen captures use the Grab application in /Applications/Utilities.

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Aug 14, 2003, 11:13 AM

I sure hope Panther allows users to make screen shots whatever they would like (format wise)...

-Q-
Aug 14, 2003, 11:18 AM

You can do that today. Open the resulting PDF in Preview and save it to whatever format you like.

Although it would be nice, like ScreenSnapz Pro allows, for you to select the format before you take the shot.

ZackS
Banned
Aug 14, 2003, 11:23 AM

Append Control to your keystroke (any of the screencap ones) and the capture goes to the clipboard. Then open Preview.app (I keep it in the dock now for this purpose) and press Command-N. Then you can save as any format you'd like without any messy, extra PDF files. If you do this and Paste into an iChat message entry box, the system converts the format to jpeg automatically upon sending. It's cool.

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Aug 14, 2003, 11:26 AM

go to versiontracker & download "kunvert"...brilliant!
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Aug 14, 2003, 11:48 AM

Originally posted by fisherKing:
go to versiontracker & download "kunvert"...brilliant!
Yeah, that is a very nice, simple app...

york28
Senior User
Aug 14, 2003, 04:13 PM

Tcolors of my screenshots sometimes get altered by using Command-shift-4, but not with Grab, so I use that.
We need less Democrats and Republicans, and more people that think for themselves.

infinite expanse

moki
Ambrosia - el Presidente
Aug 15, 2003, 09:56 PM

Originally posted by bohdanz:
I'm running 10.2.6 and out of the blue, when I use command+shift+4 to do a screen capture, the resulting picture is in pdf format.

It always used to end up as a TIFF file.

I didn't change any setting anywhere that I can think of.

How do I make TIFF the default again for screen capture?
<shameless plug>

Snapz Pro X lets you save your screen captures in TIFF, JPEG, whatever you want, and has oodles of useful features. See my .sig for a link.
Andrew Welch / el Presidente / Ambrosia Software, Inc.

reynard
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 17, 2003, 12:35 AM

Although I use Snaps Pro X, I am curious why I can't seem to use the grab feature in OSX. In fact, I can use ANY of the features under the services menu. They are always greyed out.

Im a just a consumer type user but I'd hate to be missing out on something on OSX. Am I doing something wrong?

fireside
Professional Poster
Aug 17, 2003, 01:19 AM

Originally posted by moki:
<shameless plug>

Snapz Pro X lets you save your screen captures in TIFF, JPEG, whatever you want, and has oodles of useful features. See my .sig for a link.
how freaking long is it going to take you guys to release a beta of iSeek. after deleting my harddrive i want its precedecor, but thanks to you it got bought out. i mean, jeeze, does it take 6 months to release a beta??

DVD Plaza
Senior User
Aug 17, 2003, 04:48 AM

The format changed to PDF as of Jaguar.

I tend to capture by firing up the terminal and punching in screencapture -c to send the screen to the clipboard (which I then paste into Photoshop) - using the terminal allows DVD screens to be captured as well (the keystroke method is denied if you have a DVD onscreen).

fireside
Professional Poster
Aug 17, 2003, 09:08 PM

Originally posted by DVD Plaza:
The format changed to PDF as of Jaguar.

I tend to capture by firing up the terminal and punching in screencapture -c to send the screen to the clipboard (which I then paste into Photoshop) - using the terminal allows DVD screens to be captured as well (the keystroke method is denied if you have a DVD onscreen).
wouldnt that also capture the Terminal too?

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Aug 17, 2003, 10:33 PM

"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

JKT
Professional Poster
Aug 18, 2003, 07:46 AM

Originally posted by reynard:
Although I use Snaps Pro X, I am curious why I can't seem to use the grab feature in OSX. In fact, I can use ANY of the features under the services menu. They are always greyed out.

Im a just a consumer type user but I'd hate to be missing out on something on OSX. Am I doing something wrong?
Services only function when an application supports the Service on offer and if you have enabled the that application to input the Service's result.

To get the Grab service to work, use an app such as Stickies, Mail or TextEdit. Note that all of these apps can accept image input.

In your Sticky/Compose Message/TextEdit window, click the window to place the insertion point on the page.

Go to the Services menu and the Grab options should now be available.

Tip. If by bringing your Sticky/Compose Message/TextEdit window to the front, you have obscured what you wanted to take a screenshot of, when using the selection or timed screenshot options, you can command-tab back to the object/app that you wish to grab the shot of before taking it and it will still be dumped to the Sticky/Compose Message/TextEdit window.

Edit: Corrected my grammar
( Last edited by JKT; Aug 19, 2003 at 07:23 AM. )

reynard
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 18, 2003, 02:41 PM

Thank you very much JKT! More than anything, you have eased my mind. I know now that I dont have some bug in my services menu.

And thanks too for the tip on how to avoid obscuring my screen shot. I had forgotten about the command-tab thing. Id read it once, but being a novice, didnt use it enough to solidify it.

JKT
Professional Poster
Aug 19, 2003, 07:27 AM

Not a problem... it took someone else to tell me how to get the Grab Service to work before it clicked into place. One thing I should add is that not all applications are programmed to support Services. Apps written in Carbon tend to be the ones that don't (if you know what Carbon is - don't worry if you don't, it isn't important), so don't expect this to work all the time.

Edit: Also, you might like to know that the command-tab thing also works for drag and drop so if e.g. you take a screenshot and it is dumped to the desktop, you can drag the screenshot off the desktop and while holding it, command-tab to e.g. Mail and then drop it into your compose window. Useful if you tend to work with a fully obscured desktop like I do.

Forum Links
Forum Rules