Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > DVD Player and Stuffit it Expander questions (New Mac User, Please Help!)

DVD Player and Stuffit it Expander questions (New Mac User, Please Help!)
wdale
Nov 30, 2002, 03:48 PM

Hi, I just received my powerbook today, first impressions, absolutely great.

However, I am a switcher and have a number of questions.

When I load Stuffit Expander (from Application/Utilities/) It takes 37 bounces to load, is this normal?

Also when I play a DVD in DVD Player I have an annoying green line at the bottom of the picture, I have no dead pixels on my screen usually and I think this is more a video issue. How can I solve this and what is causing it? I have tried a number of DVD's. Gladiator and Any Given Sunday included.

On a related note, the DVD player also has black lines top and bottom of screen despite the DVD's being widescreen, and I'm running full screen dvd player mode.

Finally, how do I change the icon of a file for example the library folder?

Thanks for all your time
( Last edited by wdale; Nov 30, 2002 at 05:30 PM. )

phobos
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 30, 2002, 04:50 PM

Welcome to the mac community. 37 bounces for an app to open and certainly for stuffit expander isn't normal.Try reinstalling the the program.
Also the green line isn't normal.I would advise you to reinstall the whole os just to be sure. If you are new to this you won't have installed anything important so it's worth the try to reinstall and have a completely workable machine.
The black line on top and bottom are normal.On widescreen dvd's you won't get a full screen picture. The 1.85/1 movies will give you less black bars then the 1.33/1. Also because you have a widescreen on 4/3 res movies you will not get black bars on top and bottom but on left and right.
Hope this helps.

Weezer
Mac Elite
Nov 30, 2002, 04:56 PM

you could try opening the DVD with VLC (www.videolan.org) Go to File, open Disk, and select DVD. See if there are green lines then.

wdale  (op)
Nov 30, 2002, 05:25 PM

I turned version checking off in Stuffit and it now loads in 1 bounce!

I have also installed VideoLan (VLC) and when I play a DVD through this there doesnt seem to be a green line problem. i would really like to get DVD Player to work though so what does this problem and apparent lack in VLC suggest?

Thanks guys (and girls)

Anomalous
Mac Elite
Nov 30, 2002, 05:43 PM

Originally posted by wdale:

Finally, how do I change the icon of a file for example the library folder?
Select the file in the Finder and Show Info (command-I). Click on the icon in the Info window and you can paste in a new icon.

libraryguy
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 30, 2002, 06:35 PM

I realize that someone already answered the changing icon question but I thought that sense you were new the the platform a more in depth explanation may be needed. First, you have to find an icon that you want to use in place of the original. Click on that file (just once...to select it) the hit command (apple button) and then I or while in the finder go to File-->Get Info. Once the get info windo opens you will see the icon in the upper left corner. Click on that icon and then hit command-c or go to the Edit menu and select Copy. Now, find the icon you wish to change. Do a Get Info on that item (the same as you did before with the other icon), select the icon in the Get Info window and hit command-v to paste it or Edit-->Paste. Hope that helped. Good Luck!

"When you do the common things in life in an uncommon way, you will command the attention of the world." -George Washington Carver

mjarski15
Forum Regular
Nov 30, 2002, 07:16 PM

Originally posted by libraryguy:
I realize that someone already answered the changing icon question but I thought that sense you were new the the platform a more in depth explanation may be needed. First, you have to find an icon that you want to use in place of the original. Click on that file (just once...to select it) the hit command (apple button) and then I or while in the finder go to File-->Get Info. Once the get info windo opens you will see the icon in the upper left corner. Click on that icon and then hit command-c or go to the Edit menu and select Copy. Now, find the icon you wish to change. Do a Get Info on that item (the same as you did before with the other icon), select the icon in the Get Info window and hit command-v to paste it or Edit-->Paste. Hope that helped. Good Luck!
I know this works to change most icons, but how do you change the icons in your home folder or the folders in your home directory.

Forum Links
Forum Rules