Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > NHL - 2011 Stanley Cup Playoffs

NHL - 2011 Stanley Cup Playoffs (Page 8)
Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 14, 2011, 03:17 PM

Players on both sides have taken dives, a few from Vancouver have taking a lot of dives which im not impressed about but I think that stems from not having legit hits called too. I haven't actually seen them take dives in any other games this is something new with Boston Series.

The Ice is playing a big factor for our defense. They play far up and are normally part of the plays. They have not been able to get back fast enough in Boston to matter which is why Luongo is getting so many goals scored on him and they are not able to take part in the attacking zone as much because of this as well. Both teams slip and fall a lot more in Boston. The fastest games in the series have all been in Vancouver. Even Boston is a lot faster during there away games.

I think the home game crowds are getting in the heads of both teams. Boston is VERY loud like Vancouver. If we win the cup tomorrow it will show the importance of having home ice advantage in the series which might explain why so many President's Trophy teams statistically take the cup.
Blandine Bureau 1940 - 2011
Missed 2012 by 3 days, RIP Grandma :-(

scottiB
Professional Poster
Jun 14, 2011, 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by Athens View Post
If we win the cup tomorrow it will show the importance of having home ice advantage in the series which might explain why so many President's Trophy teams statistically take the cup.
Only 7 President's Trophy Winners in the past 24 seasons have won the Stanley Cup (29%). Of those 7, 3 went to 7 games.
I am stupidest when I try to be funny.

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 14, 2011, 03:52 PM

Hum thought it was a lot more then that

stumblinmike
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 14, 2011, 04:15 PM

Players on both sides have taken dives, a few from Vancouver have taking a lot of dives which im not impressed about but I think that stems from not having legit hits called too. I haven't actually seen them take dives in any other games this is something new with Boston Series.
Athens...a pathetic excuse. The Canucks are NOTORIOUS for their dives, it's how they "play". As a Canadian, I would think you would be outraged by their behavior. Oh well. In America, we play hockey like men, standing up, rather than on our knees, looking up.... God's watching this series, and he's rooting for the virtuous team, the honorable team, the Boston Bruins!

aristotles
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 14, 2011, 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by stumblinmike View Post
Athens...a pathetic excuse. The Canucks are NOTORIOUS for their dives, it's how they "play". As a Canadian, I would think you would be outraged by their behavior. Oh well. In America, we play hockey like men, standing up, rather than on our knees, looking up.... God's watching this series, and he's rooting for the virtuous team, the honorable team, the Boston Bruins!
Mike, first of all, Grow up. It is only a game.

Second, you must have blinders on because there were plenty of dives being taken by Bruins in past games in this series. There was also a lot of hooking and slashing committed by Marchand which were completely missed by the ref for some reason. In fact, one of goals in the earlier Boston games should have been disqualified because of the slashing he was doing just before.

See the following about this guy:
Why Brad Marchand is the most annoying Bruin in the playoffs - Puck Daddy - NHL�Blog - Yahoo! Sports
--
Aristotle
15" rMBP 2.7 Ghz ,16GB, 768GB SSD, 64GB iPhone 5 S⃣ 128GB iPad Air LTE

freudling
Banned
Jun 14, 2011, 07:39 PM

All the Luongo defenders. BULLSHIT.

He's a big part of the reason the Canucks lost those 3 games. Period.

Letting 8 goals in on 38 shots? 4 goals on 20 shots? And it's not just this horrific save percentage, but how fast these goals have come in... in bunches. The whole team goes in shock. You're in a period, doing well, all of a sudden, 5 minutes later, you're 4 goals in the hole.

And he even admitted the weak goals he let in last game. The coach even pulled him. I mean, come on, it deflates and derails the entire team.

Luongo is not the only reason the Canucks have been losing, but a big part of it.

Unacceptable. Period.

stumblinmike
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 14, 2011, 07:48 PM

WAAAAAAAAHHHHH-
The ROOKIE is a monster! He's hurting our angels... First off, that dude took a dive and it cost your team a goal. That's what I call justice (God is watching!). Why don't one of your tough guys put him in his place? Surely you have someone who can handle a ROOKIE!!! I see slashing and crosschecking after the whistle from both teams. I see diving from only one team. You got a lot of nerve naming yourself after a great philosopher....

aristotles
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 14, 2011, 11:20 PM

WAAAAAAAAHHHHH-
The ROOKIE is a monster! He's hurting our angels... First off, that dude took a dive and it cost your team a goal. That's what I call justice (God is watching!). Why don't one of your tough guys put him in his place? Surely you have someone who can handle a ROOKIE!!! I see slashing and crosschecking after the whistle from both teams. I see diving from only one team. You got a lot of nerve naming yourself after a great philosopher....
Seriously? Are you an adult or a 12 year old? I would guess the latter. Go play with your Xbox or something.
--
Aristotle

James L
Mac Elite
Jun 15, 2011, 12:58 AM

Originally Posted by aristotles View Post
Seriously? Are you an adult or a 12 year old? I would guess the latter. Go play with your Xbox or something.
He talks about things "real men" do while arguing on an Apple centric internet bulletin board. Given that level of irony I'd say your question has already been answered.

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 15, 2011, 02:44 PM

HA! The 2 canucks taking the most dives are American players. So try again and no they are not notorious for dives. Its a recent development in this series. There is nothing honorable about the Boston Bruins, nothing. I would go as far as to say its the dirtiest team in the entire NHL and lacks even the most basics in sportsmanship. The team should be dissolved for being such a disgrace to all pro sports.

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 15, 2011, 02:55 PM

Oh and don't get me started on Boston Fans. The team seems to attract the worst society has to offer. Loud mouth obnoxious arrogant drunken hosers who have a violent disposition. They have no regards for personal property and the vandalism they commit in the support of the NHL's most disgraceful team and are border line psychopathic low life's that I will be happy to see return to the bottomless pits of hell which they arose from when this is all over.

That said its just a game boys

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 15, 2011, 05:36 PM

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 15, 2011, 07:56 PM

$8600!!! for tickets

Game 7 of this match up how now exceeded ticket pricing for Gold Medal Hockey at the 2010 Olympics and the highest ticket prices of the Superbowl which until now had the record.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/stan...7-tickets.html

This is just insane. Side note every single road in this city leading into Vancouver as far as the valley is jammed up.

TV ratings for this series is exceeding every sporting event in this country as well, game 6 had more viewers then the Gold Medal hockey game. Does it get any better then this.

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Jun 15, 2011, 10:05 PM

Doesn't look good right now, at all.

RobOnTheCape
Senior User
Jun 15, 2011, 10:51 PM

4-0. From my perspective it looks perfect!

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Jun 15, 2011, 10:53 PM

It's a wrap. Killer defense and goaltending.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jun 15, 2011, 11:55 PM

Congrats to the Bruins. I was hoping Vancouver would finally get its due, but I'm fine with all the Boston teams (except the Pats).

cjrivera
Professional Poster
Jun 16, 2011, 02:25 AM

Originally Posted by exca1ibur View Post
Doesn't look good right now, at all.

... not good at all.

CTV British Columbia - Looting breaks out as riots intensify in Vancouver - CTV News
"It's weird the way 'finger puppets' sounds ok as a noun..."

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 16, 2011, 02:28 AM

Its pretty bad, prob worse then the 94 riot. 150 000 to 200 000 people where downtown for the game.

Early reports, Saint Pauls has handled 150 people in the last few hours and is currently a code orange, no more patients. 6 Stabbings, one person fell off the georga viaduct, 11 car fires, 1 building fire. Sears, Hudson Bay, Futureshop, London Drugs have been looted along with dozens of smaller shops. RCMP from metro Vancouver are there, even Abbotsford and Delta have sent riot units to Vancouver. At least 4 different major hot spots unlike the 94 one which was just one hot spot originally.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jun 16, 2011, 03:06 AM

So incredibly stupid... Basically a case of having so much emotion and not being adult enough to channel it in ways that don't involve hurting others.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 16, 2011, 03:22 AM

Wow. And I thought Boston fans were bad.

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 16, 2011, 03:51 AM

Was mostly a group of Indo Canadians that started it with intent to regardless of what type of event. Who brings mokilok cocktails downtown just for the fun of it. After which the mob mentality kicks in sucking thousands of others into it.

Madison
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 16, 2011, 05:01 AM

Woo hoo! 2011 Stanley Cup Champion Boston Bruins! That has a nice ring to it. What a series, unbelievable. Great battles, phsyical, emotional, and mental too. Outstanding performances from several players were a thing of beauty to watch. First of all, and I mean this sincerely, kudos to the Vancouver fans for staying at the arena for the presentation of the Cup and Conn Smythe awards, AND for cheering the Boston players when they skated around with the awards, that was all class, and I appreciate it as a Bruins fan.

It was great to see Horton take the Cup around the ice, I didn't notice if Savard was on skates or not, that would have been nice, but I assume he was in street clothes for it. Oh well, I'm rambling, woo hoo!

freudling
Banned
Jun 16, 2011, 05:40 AM

So I just came back from the riots. I've got video inside the riots... Cars on fire, and turned over. I saw 3 police cars on fire in complete flames. Buildings on fire. Water shooting out from office buildings. People smashing in cars. I saw 2 Hummers totally burnt. Streets have been packed. Helicopters doing parallels.

Riot squad in full force, with rubber bullets and tear gas, wearing gas masks. I saw a van get totally turned over and then smashed in. I knew this would happen, and when I woke up this morning, I said to my girlfriend, look at all these people: so cock sure the Canucks would win. I knew they wouldn't because they just weren't good enough.

And I knew the riot would happen.

Luongo, you are number 1 to blame. Sedins... where the hell were you? You're on my crap list too.

Good job though Boston, you deserve the win.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jun 16, 2011, 08:29 AM

After waking up to the headlines that I didn't expect in the slightest, I wish I could go back and rescind my support. Fans that behave this way don't deserve a championship at all.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Jun 16, 2011, 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
After waking up to the headlines that I didn't expect in the slightest, I wish I could go back and rescind my support. Fans that behave this way don't deserve a championship at all.
I totally expected this, with either a win or a loss on Vancouver's part. There are people who WANT to riot and extremely large crowds are a great way to get away with breaking the law.

RobOnTheCape
Senior User
Jun 16, 2011, 09:44 AM

Yep - it was that sludgy ice at the Garden last night that did the Canucks in - oops I mean at the Rogers Center.

BadKosh
Professional Poster
Jun 16, 2011, 10:41 AM

Riots in Canada? I never would have thought, after all the BS we've heard, how much better and civil our northern neighbors are that they acted like that. Gee, drunken, loud destructive jerks......Just like Ireland or somesuch.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Jun 16, 2011, 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by BadKosh View Post
Riots in Canada? I never would have thought, after all the BS we've heard, how much better and civil our northern neighbors are that they acted like that. Gee, drunken, loud destructive jerks......Just like Ireland or somesuch.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 16, 2011, 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by freudling View Post
I said to my girlfriend, look at all these people: so cock sure the Canucks would win. I knew they wouldn't because they just weren't good enough.
Originally Posted by freudling View Post
So everyone just pipe down and realize: Vancouver is the better team. Too fast, too good. Period. End of story.
Anyways...

A few thoughts... First of all, the Canucks laid a big fat egg. After the second goal the team simply gave up. They played with no fight and no passion. It was like they already knew what was going to happen and they just accepted it. They had the eyes of the hockey world on them and they completely blew it. I blame the team more then Luongo.

I know I've said that I hate the Canucks, and a bunch (but not all) of their fans... but honestly, last night, I felt sorry for the fans. I know what it's like to heavily emotionally invest in a team and then see them fail spectacularly... but I can't imagine what it must feel like to come so close and yet be so far away. I almost feel like it would be better just to lose in the first round then have to suffer that kind of heartbreak.

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 16, 2011, 11:47 AM

This riot was very different from the 94 riot. In 94 a lot of people got drunk things went on late into the night and got out of hand and the police over reacted when some one was hurt and some cops got trapped in a crowed and that over reaction sparked a riot. This time around some small groups of people went downtown to start a riot win or lose. And this time the cops under reacted which allowed it to do far more damage then the 94 riot. This one started right as the game ended and it was from people who''s was to start one. So stupid.

aristotles
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 16, 2011, 11:58 AM

@ort888: Really? Did you have to post that? It's over. The Bruins won, good for them. Now move on already.

You hate the Canucks? Really? Are you that sour of a person? You need to find a new focus in your life.
--
Aristotle

freudling
Banned
Jun 16, 2011, 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by ort888 View Post
Anyways...

A few thoughts... First of all, the Canucks laid a big fat egg. After the second goal the team simply gave up. They played with no fight and no passion. It was like they already knew what was going to happen and they just accepted it. They had the eyes of the hockey world on them and they completely blew it. I blame the team more then Luongo.

I know I've said that I hate the Canucks, and a bunch (but not all) of their fans... but honestly, last night, I felt sorry for the fans. I know what it's like to heavily emotionally invest in a team and then see them fail spectacularly... but I can't imagine what it must feel like to come so close and yet be so far away. I almost feel like it would be better just to lose in the first round then have to suffer that kind of heartbreak.
Vancouver is the better team. But in this series, they beat themself. After they lost in Boston both games getting blown out, I was sure Boston would take it. You're right, they looked beaten from the beginning of Game 7. Boston deserves the win. Mentally the Canucks beat themself. They were fully capable of winning the cup.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 16, 2011, 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by aristotles View Post
@ort888: Really? Did you have to post that? It's over. The Bruins won, good for them. Now move on already.

You hate the Canucks? Really? Are you that sour of a person? You need to find a new focus in your life.
What fun is sports without teams to hate. Yes, I hate the Canucks. I'm going to continue to hate the Canucks. I've explained why earlier in this thread.

You don't have sports teams that you hate? The Blackhawks maybe?

BadKosh
Professional Poster
Jun 16, 2011, 12:26 PM

Getting STOMPED for trying to STOP the looting??

Crowd Attacks Man During Vancouver Riot - Real Radio 104.1....Text us 50352

Wadda bunch of rednecks...or is that frostbacks?

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 16, 2011, 01:04 PM

And most of the people beating that man down didn't even look like hockey fans just punks out there to cause mayhem.

freudling
Banned
Jun 16, 2011, 03:09 PM

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Jun 16, 2011, 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by ort888 View Post
What fun is sports without teams to hate.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 16, 2011, 03:31 PM

Oh and don't get me started on Boston Fans. The team seems to attract the worst society has to offer. Loud mouth obnoxious arrogant drunken hosers who have a violent disposition. They have no regards for personal property and the vandalism they commit in the support of the NHL's most disgraceful team and are border line psychopathic low life's that I will be happy to see return to the bottomless pits of hell which they arose from when this is all over.

That said its just a game boys
Shit, for a moment there I thought that you'd seen the same news story that I had.

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 16, 2011, 03:53 PM

In a statement released today VPD has already identified some of the people who started the riot as the same people during the violent Olympic protests the G20 in Toronto and the summit in Seattle.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Jun 16, 2011, 08:39 PM

In a statement released today VPD has already identified some of the people who started the riot as the same people during the violent Olympic protests the G20 in Toronto and the summit in Seattle.
Do you have a link for that? I was saying this to a coworker, who wants to believe that G20 rioters have loftier motivations than looting, but so far the only quote I've been able to find from the VPD says that "the makeup of the riot crowd is vastly different than that of those seen during last year's Olympics".
CTV British Columbia - 'Criminals, anarchists, thugs' behind post-Cup riot - CTV News

CollinG3G4
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 16, 2011, 10:06 PM

The property damage was worth it due to this picture.

The Vancouver riot picture everyone’s talking about - The Globe and Mail

freudling
Banned
Jun 16, 2011, 10:09 PM

Anyway, life goes on as usual here in Vancouver. It's over.

Where do the Canucks go from here?

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 17, 2011, 05:25 AM

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 17, 2011, 08:06 PM

This makes me smile

Flash bang to the balls

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 30, 2011, 06:37 PM

First round of charges for the Vancouver riot. 25 of the expect 300+ that will be laid. Gee only took half a year for the first batch. I expect all this will be over by 2020

Forum Links
Forum Rules