Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Iron Man 3 Visual Effects [Spoiler Warning]

Iron Man 3 Visual Effects [Spoiler Warning]
olePigeon
Clinically Insane
May 11, 2013, 10:03 PM

Just ranting.

So, Industrial Light & Magic did the visual effects for Iron Man 1 and 2. I thought it was pretty good. They mixed up an actual prop Iron Man suit with CG, which I think is the best way to go. The people have something to interact with, which makes the acting better. The overall effects were good, as is expected from ILM.

So then I just saw Iron Man 3, and what the hell? The CG on that movie sucked. The CG suits didn't cast the right shadows, they hovered a good 1/2" off the ground while they walked, and the suits would often be perspectively wrong when the actor tried to interact with it (like when Pepper hugs the autonomous Iron Man suit.) They couldn't map the face of any of the actors correctly on the CG suit, be it Stark, Pepper, and especially the President.

I was wondering why it was so crap for such a high budget film, and I thought that ILM had really gone down hill since Disney bought it all. Then the credits rolled, and found out the CG was done by WETA.

That company needs to stop. They're the Michael Bay of visual effects. They suck, yet Hollywood keeps giving them more.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
May 12, 2013, 04:58 AM

I didn't notice any of that. Maybe the 3D masked the issues for me. But now that you've mentioned it, it will probably bug the hell out of me when I see it again.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
May 12, 2013, 04:38 PM

They might break the $1Bn mark by this weekend. Doesn't look like that many people saw what you saw. I didn't.

I'm disappointed by the weaknesses(?) of the Iron Men in this one. They just get ripped apart.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
May 12, 2013, 05:46 PM

The very though that the human body contains enough energy to melt metal is ridicules. The idea if it surviving the release of said energy deserves someone losing their job.

olePigeon  (op)
Clinically Insane
May 13, 2013, 12:04 PM

It made money because it was the last of the Iron Man films. I notice the flaws because I look for them, it's one of my metrics for judging a good movie. The technical execution is an important part for me, as much as the story, dialog, and direction. For a lot of people (most, probably) they simply don't care. It's "good enough." For me, when I don't notice those issues, I enjoy the film much more.

I can only suspend belief so much before one of those 4 factors destroy a film. For Iron Man 3, it scored very low on the technical, low on the story (probably lower if I cared about comic books), average for dialogue (Joss Wheedon made it funny), and about average on direction (I wasn't expecting much from a super hero film.)

The company got a ton of undeserved Oscars, and it's inflated their ego. Unfortunately, they haven't learned anything from their last films. I like that other companies are stepping up to the plate, but ILM sets a pretty high bar. However, if your CG is giving me flashbacks to Birdemic, it's not a good thing.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
May 13, 2013, 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by BLAZE_MkIV View Post
The very though that the human body contains enough energy to melt metal is ridicules. The idea if it surviving the release of said energy deserves someone losing their job.
Did you see the Hulk use a single punch to stop an alien ship over a thousand times his own mass? And where does the Hulk's mass come from?

You need to lighten up a bit (no, a lot) on the faults of comic book physics.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
May 13, 2013, 03:36 PM

I was judging it based on Captain America who is supposed to be the unreproducable pinnacle of super soldiers in that universe. They didn't trot out gamma rays they did it with DNA. You want comic book physics fine, give me comic book physics not real world physics.

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
May 13, 2013, 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by BLAZE_MkIV View Post
I was judging it based on Captain America who is supposed to be the unreproducable pinnacle of super soldiers in that universe.
Says who?

Cap couldn't stare down many of the Marvel heroes and villains. Spiderman, Wolverine, the Thing, or even light-weights like Northstar could take him apart. And those are guys who's powers are based in "science."

The specific method by which Cap became Cap is "unreproducable," but other methods are not. The Marvel universe is loaded with mutants and freaks way tougher than him.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
May 13, 2013, 10:09 PM

None of those guys abilities are based on science. If you want unrealistic results then you need to unrealistic cause. I'm fine with that. I mean they didn't even turn into half lizards.

Forum Links
Forum Rules