Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Anyone have a RAZR V3i?

Anyone have a RAZR V3i?
MindFad
Posting Junkie
Mar 7, 2006, 12:41 AM

I was wondering about experiences/thoughts? I broke down and ordered one tonight. I always have liked the RAZR design and have always wanted one—despite its major "trendiness factor" right now. The better camera and extra memory is a nice plus, too, of course. My old phone (V600) is a bit beat up after 15 months of use, so I saw now as good a time as any for an upgrade.

Aside from any Motorola design/OS (which I actually like/don't have problems with) whining to come, I will post pics and thoughts when I get it.

I Bent My Wookiee
Mac Elite
Mar 7, 2006, 12:47 AM

Originally Posted by MindFad
Aside from any Motorola design/OS (which I actually like/don't have problems with) whining to come, I will post pics and thoughts when I get it.
Save yourself the trouble. It is pretty much just as crappy as the old with some minor hardware changes.

http://www.mobileburn.com/review.jsp...ource=MOSTREAD

"Barwaraaawww"

brapper
Professional Poster
Mar 7, 2006, 12:57 AM

There's a review at iLounge that says the camera isn't much better though it should be 4x better.
The V3i is a fine phone—great reception and sound, excellent industrial design—and you’d probably be tickled with it if you’re upgrading from an older phone. But if you’re a dedicated RAZR user and drop the cash for the V3i, at least, the import version of it without iTunes, you’ll more than likely be sorry.

MindFad  (op)
Posting Junkie
Mar 7, 2006, 01:18 AM

Originally Posted by I Bent My Wookiee
Save yourself the trouble. It is pretty much just as crappy as the old with some minor hardware changes.

http://www.mobileburn.com/review.jsp...ource=MOSTREAD
Right, then—now that you've got it out of your system, the thread can get going.

Nice pics.

The camera isn't a big deal for me, anyhow. I'm much more fond of its design than anything else. The higher-res pictures it can take (1024x678, I assume, whereas my current one is 640x480) is just a plus. The video recording and playback is a nice plus, too (my V600 can only play it).

I was curious for any current owners—how does this thing work when it comes to assigning pictures to people in your address book? Is it possible to just create a directory on the phone (via Bluetooth presumably) with all of my own call photos I have created—to fit the exact resolution of the outer screen, of course—and then assign them manually to each person in my address book? That would be nice and simple for me.

ambush
Banned
Mar 7, 2006, 01:46 AM

Consumerism at its best! Go Go Go!

MindFad  (op)
Posting Junkie
Mar 7, 2006, 02:06 AM

Originally Posted by ambush
Consumerism at its best! Go Go Go!
There's no profound and revolutionary point you are making.

It's just a goddamn phone—and I realize this.

Back to the thread, then?

macmad
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 7, 2006, 05:57 AM

I have a V3i and I'm very pleased with it, even though I have an EU version - no iTunes. The new transflash slot (64meg supplied) is a great addition, and the phone will mount on the OSX desktop as an external drive via USB after a visit to the 'connections' menu. Its iSync compatible too, again via USB. You can put pictures in new/different folders, but I've not done this via bluetooth. To be honest, OSX/RAZR bluetooth compatibility seems a bit flakey, but the USB cable works fine, and its supplied in the box. Hopefully this will be addressed in an iSync update. BTW, the camera is way better than the V600's. I upgraded from a V600.

MindFad  (op)
Posting Junkie
Mar 7, 2006, 11:19 AM

Ahh, cool. I didn't know they included the USB cable in the box. Excellent. I'm on that same upgrade path, too, from a V600.

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 7, 2006, 09:45 PM

Save your money. Wait for something better.

"Never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense." Winston Churchill

MindFad  (op)
Posting Junkie
Mar 8, 2006, 12:59 AM

Originally Posted by wdlove
Shut up. Just shut the hell up.

Who hijacked this guy's account?

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 8, 2006, 02:33 AM

holy crap.

ey, nice p hone!
ice

euchomai
Mac Elite
Mar 8, 2006, 02:57 AM

You are some kind of bot or something. I just can't figure you out at all, I go back and forth between you being a fake personality and a real boy. I just don't know.

The Internet
Baninated
Mar 9, 2006, 06:03 AM

Hi wdlove, you seem really nice, perhaps we can chat sometimes using ichat, i hope you have an account.

version
Mac Elite
Mar 10, 2006, 08:41 AM

I'd go for it, Mindfad. It's a lovely looking phone.

Slight hijacking of the thread, but does anyone know of any Mac software for transferring pics to and from the V3 RAZR?

Cheers

Super Mario
Mar 10, 2006, 09:08 AM

We were doing a review of it on our site but when we recieved it we felt it was such a slight upgrade from the v3 we didn't have much to say about it that readers can't find about the v3.

MindFad  (op)
Posting Junkie
Mar 10, 2006, 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by version
I'd go for it, Mindfad. It's a lovely looking phone.

Slight hijacking of the thread, but does anyone know of any Mac software for transferring pics to and from the V3 RAZR?

Cheers
You can use the Bluetooth file sharing on your Mac to transfer to and from the RAZR. That's what I used with my V600, at least. If your Mac doesn't have it, you can always pick up one of those D-Link dongles for around $30.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Mar 10, 2006, 10:55 AM

-t

davesimondotcom
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 10, 2006, 11:01 AM

You can use the Bluetooth file sharing on your Mac to transfer to and from the RAZR.
Doesn't work if you are on Verizon unless you mod your phone... They disable some of the bluetooth functions to force you to email yourself photos.

Which reminds me, I need a TransFlash card...
[ sig removed - image host changed it to a big ad picture ]

MindFad  (op)
Posting Junkie
Mar 10, 2006, 11:03 AM

Yeah, screw Verizon in the ear.

macmad
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 10, 2006, 11:15 AM

You can use the Bluetooth file sharing on your Mac to transfer to and from the RAZR. That's what I used with my V600, at least. If your Mac doesn't have it, you can always pick up one of those D-Link dongles for around $30.
Nope, Bluetooth/OSX/RAZR doesn't work (works fine with a V600 though). You need the supplied USB cable, and the RAZR 3i mounts on the desktop as an external storage device.

version
Mac Elite
Mar 10, 2006, 11:16 AM

Yeah, only thing is, my PM hasn't got bluetooth. I really should buy the airport/bluetooth combo. At the moment I'm connecting it via USB. Pain in the arse that Moto doesn't have any Mac software like they do for Windows.

version
Mac Elite
Mar 10, 2006, 11:17 AM

I found a program called "BitPim", seems to be able to transfer all the multimedia stuff from Macs to phones, but having a problem getting it to see the v3.

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 10, 2006, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by The Internet
Hi wdlove, you seem really nice, perhaps we can chat sometimes using ichat, i hope you have an account.
Hi The Internet, thanks for the nice comment. Yes, I think that we could chat on iChat.

LOL
( Last edited by wdlove; Mar 10, 2006 at 11:58 AM. )

"Never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense." Winston Churchill

Pendergast
Mac Elite
Mar 10, 2006, 11:53 AM

I'd agree with wdlove if you had not purchased it yet.

In Canada, the v3c is pushed to consumers with big rebates. I think they are emtying their stores for something else.

Just my 2 cents; I am using a cell phone, but that's the one for the company I work for, so I am not into purchasing one these days at all.

But it does look cool, and integration with OS X seems satisfying, from what I read so far, if that's your thing...
"Criticism is a misconception: we must read not to understand others but to understand ourselves.”

Emile M. Cioran

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Mar 10, 2006, 11:55 AM

I don't get why people keep bringing up Verizon and the V3c in here when the original poster clearly stated that he was talking about the V3i, which is a GSM phone.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

Pendergast
Mac Elite
Mar 10, 2006, 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by CharlesS
I don't get why people keep bringing up Verizon and the V3c in here when the original poster clearly stated that he was talking about the V3i, which is a GSM phone.
Well, sorry. I guess I could not make the difference from the start.
"Criticism is a misconception: we must read not to understand others but to understand ourselves.”

Emile M. Cioran

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 10, 2006, 01:09 PM

I found a program called "BitPim", seems to be able to transfer all the multimedia stuff from Macs to phones, but having a problem getting it to see the v3.

bitpim is a really great program, but I think it doesn't work with GSM phones. I had it when I was on Sprin(CDMA) and it was great.

I use BluePhoneElite for sending/receiving texts and other things on my RAZR V3(when I'm at my computer, at least). Bluetooth file tranfers for everything else (videos, mp3, pics).

I've found that having a PC around with the popular modding programs on it is a good thing as well.
ice

version
Mac Elite
Mar 10, 2006, 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by IceEnclosure
bitpim is a really great program, but I think it doesn't work with GSM phones. I had it when I was on Sprin(CDMA) and it was great.

I've found that having a PC around with the popular modding programs on it is a good thing as well.

Cheers. Yeah it does look like a good program, pity about GSM phones. I've got a PC here, but it's a hassle using it. I wonder if Virtual PC would work in this instance?

Krusty
Professional Poster
Mar 10, 2006, 02:39 PM

Ahhh 'Fad, I remember the days when you were just a wide-eyed kid asking if a cell phone was even worth it ... with a plastic bag on your head. Now you've gone all feature-crazy and nutty like the rest of us foot-draggers who finally resigned ourselves to spending a shockingly high portion of our incomes so that we can have something nobody even knew they needed 15 years ago.

But I digress. As cool as the RAZR form factor is, I played with one fairly extensively at the Cingular store on a couple of occasions and something about the width of the body and the feel of the etched keys just didn't sit right with me. If you are fine with it, then the form factor, it should be a very usable device. I wouldn't buy one even if I liked the form factor ... it still has no EDGE data capability which gets a HUGE amount of use by yours truly ($20/mo for unlimited at speeds that average around 125k in a range from about 80 to about 150k). I us BT tethering though my iBook and have even begun using a few very useful mobile apps directly from my phone (Google Mobile and Opera Mini to name my favorites).

On a side note (and since it doesn't warrant its own thread), I'd have to say that cameraphone functionality is the most surprising thing that I thought was basically useless that I am now completely sold on. I have to take quick and dirty pictures fairly often and a good 1.3 - 2.0 mp camera phone that's on my hip is a heck of a lot more useful to me than and 3 or 4 mp camera that's still sitting in the office ... or at my house ... or even down in the car.

I Bent My Wookiee
Mac Elite
Mar 10, 2006, 02:44 PM

They just got pulled from some carriers:

http://www.consumerist.com/consumer/...rry-159676.php

"Barwaraaawww"

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 10, 2006, 02:54 PM

Cheers. Yeah it does look like a good program, pity about GSM phones. I've got a PC here, but it's a hassle using it. I wonder if Virtual PC would work in this instance?

virtual pc has an issue with recognizing USB devices, at least the RAZR, IIRC
ice

Heavy Fluid
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 10, 2006, 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by macmad
Nope, Bluetooth/OSX/RAZR doesn't work (works fine with a V600 though). You need the supplied USB cable, and the RAZR 3i mounts on the desktop as an external storage device.
It doesn't? That is funny, this morning I sent 3 wallpapers to my RAZR via Bluetooth from my G5.

As for waiting until something better comes along, I don't agree with that. The RAZR is a pretty sweet piece of equipment, and I absolutely love mine. I accidentally dropped mine on my hardwood floors, and it is fine. Pretty durable for being so small and thin. Sure, it is a "gotta have it" phone, but it is that way for a reason.
In a barrier free world, who needs Windows™ and Gates?

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Mar 10, 2006, 06:08 PM

Sending files to the RAZR via Bluetooth works fine, unless it's a Verizon RAZR.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

MindFad  (op)
Posting Junkie
Mar 11, 2006, 01:37 AM

Originally Posted by Krusty
Ahhh 'Fad, I remember the days when you were just a wide-eyed kid asking if a cell phone was even worth it ... with a plastic bag on your head. Now you've gone all feature-crazy and nutty like the rest of us foot-draggers who finally resigned ourselves to spending a shockingly high portion of our incomes so that we can have something nobody even knew they needed 15 years ago.
Haha. Times have changed, eh?

Honestly, though, it's become fairly useful in the 15 months that I've owned one. I personally like the design, and the keypad suits me fine for the most part. That's one thing I actually didn't like very much about my V600. With this RAZR, now I'll have to get used to the smooth surface. The V600 always had odd buttons to me, so maybe I'll get used to it quicker than most.

I almost got a SLVR, but I like the flip-phone. I got a decent Krusell case for it, too.

I'll try and get a shot with a Publix bag on my head.

MindFad  (op)
Posting Junkie
Mar 11, 2006, 01:39 AM

Affecting the V3is? Or just current V3s sold through T-Mobile and Cingular?

brapper
Professional Poster
Mar 11, 2006, 03:11 AM

blah

brapper
Professional Poster
Mar 11, 2006, 03:12 AM

Originally Posted by IceEnclosure
virtual pc has an issue with recognizing USB devices, at least the RAZR, IIRC
I can confirm that.
BIG to that.

Montezuma58
Senior User
Mar 11, 2006, 09:53 AM

It's just the GSM version.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Mar 11, 2006, 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by Montezuma58
It's just the GSM version.
Er, both the V3 and the V3i are GSM.

I think the article was just referring to the V3, though.

I Bent My Wookiee
Mac Elite
Mar 11, 2006, 01:17 PM

The new model as far as I know.

"Barwaraaawww"

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Mar 11, 2006, 01:29 PM

No, it's the V3.

1. The article mentions that the affected phones were sold by Cingular and T-Mobile, and Cingular, AFAIK, isn't selling the V3i yet.

2. The article mentions that the RAZR was listed as "Temporarily out of stock" on Cingular's web site, and if you go to Cingular's web site and look at the V3, it says "Temporarily out of stock." Ergo, the article is talking about the V3.

You could have easily looked this up yourself.

I Bent My Wookiee
Mac Elite
Mar 11, 2006, 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by CharlesS
You could have easily looked this up yourself.
Since I have no plans on buying the POS I can't be bothered. I was a leap for me even to find the story showing the recalls.

But Mindfad could have looked it up if that is what you mean.

"Barwaraaawww"

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Mar 11, 2006, 01:52 PM

Since I have no plans on buying the POS I can't be bothered. I was a leap for me even to find the story showing the recalls.
Well, you seem to have tons of time and energy to spend constantly looking for info you can use to blast this phone. Anyway, MindFad asked a question, and yes, he could have looked it up. But you should have looked it up since you were trying to answer the question. Instead, you, while having no idea what you were talking about, just posted what you wanted to be true so that you could fuel your irrational hatred for this phone (which I really don't understand - it's just a phone, and not a bad one at all).

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 11, 2006, 03:41 PM

Nothin' wrong with my RAZR on Cingular

(that consumer guy seems like a hater. I think he bent his wookie)
ice

MindFad  (op)
Posting Junkie
Mar 11, 2006, 08:47 PM

But Mindfad could have looked it up if that is what you mean.
I only asked to get you to actually read the article—which takes, what, 60 seconds? It's funny how that works out. Of course there's no mention of the V3i in there. But you seem to find the time to Google useless articles like that to sh¡t all over threads. Because you don't like the phone. Yeah ... we get it. Your sage buying advice and uncompromising opinion duly noted, thanks.

I Bent My Wookiee
Mac Elite
Mar 12, 2006, 03:17 AM

"Barwaraaawww"

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Mar 12, 2006, 03:23 AM

http://news.com.com/Apple+recalls+mo...3-5715002.html

I guess the MacBook Pro really sucks, due to this recall. Never mind that this recall was for the PowerBook G4, the previous model...

Actually, since they had a problem with a limited number of computers at some point in time, this obviously means that all Macs, no, I mean MAC's, are all unstable pieces of junk. Right?

Well, that settles that. Time to shut down MacNN and all switch to Windows boxes...

The Internet
Baninated
Mar 12, 2006, 06:44 AM

thread fails
reason: not enough wdlove

qnxde
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 12, 2006, 09:02 AM

Just so people know - I did a firmware update on my K750i using the supplied USB cable and Virtual PC - so it is possible.

You can't eat all those hamburgers, you hear me you ridiculous man?

MindFad  (op)
Posting Junkie
Mar 12, 2006, 11:02 AM

wat

Forum Links
Forum Rules