Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Opinion: 17" iMac Core 2 Duo or 20" iMac Core Duo?

Opinion: 17" iMac Core 2 Duo or 20" iMac Core Duo?
rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 14, 2006, 11:36 AM

I have the opportunity to get a brand new 20" iMac 2.0 GHz Intel Core Duo for $999 that comes with 1GB of RAM. It's a really good deal ($1699 originally); however, should I go with a Core 2 Duo iMac instead based soley on the processor? Screen real estate isn't all that important to me, but I've heard the Core 2 Duo is much better than the Core Duo. I could spend the same amount of money roughly and get the new 17" iMac Core 2 Duo with 1GB of RAM as well.

Thoughts on this? Any insight and suggestions would be much appreciated.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Nov 14, 2006, 12:12 PM

No, C2D is not that much better. It's about 15% faster with equivalent clock on average from what I have read. Not worth passing up that deal.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

rickey939  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 14, 2006, 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
No, C2D is not that much better. It's about 15% faster with equivalent clock on average from what I have read. Not worth passing up that deal.
Good to know, thanks. I am indeed leaning towards the 20" Core Duo at this time...

WOPR
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 14, 2006, 12:42 PM

I faced the same choice, new 17" or refurb 20" of the older iMac. I went for the newer one and don't regret it at all.

 iMac Core 2 Duo 17" 2ghz 3gb/250gb ||  iBook G4 12" 1.33ghz 1gb/40gb

rickey939  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 14, 2006, 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by WOPR View Post
I faced the same choice, new 17" or refurb 20" of the older iMac. I went for the newer one and don't regret it at all.
The thing that intrigues me about the Core 2 Duo is since it being 64-bit, it will probably give me a few more years of functionality....again, I'm only assuming that would be the case.

Hiramw
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 14, 2006, 03:20 PM

Hi,

I think the 64-bit Core 2 Duo processor is an advantage. And I think you are right it would extended its useful life in the long run.

You might consider this chart I made for another thread.

Unless the larger screen of the 20" Core Duo is important to you, I would recommend the 17" Core 2 Duo.

Hiram

CheesePuff
Professional Poster
Nov 14, 2006, 03:39 PM

Right. And even if it was only 15% increase is average speed, that's 15% you would not be getting by going with the newer model. And like you said, it's 64-bit.

rickey939  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 14, 2006, 06:16 PM

Well, I went with the 20" Core Duo...I couldn't pass it up for the price and even got it for $909, whereas, I was quoted $999 earlier. Tough to beat that price!

I'm coming from a 667 MHz TiBook (DVI), so I'm going to be a very happy camper to say the least.

Thanks again everybody for your input, I truly appreciate it.

Hiramw
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 14, 2006, 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by rickey939 View Post
Well, I went with the 20" Core Duo...I couldn't pass it up for the price and even got it for $909, whereas, I was quoted $999 earlier. Tough to beat that price!

I'm coming from a 667 MHz TiBook (DVI), so I'm going to be a very happy camper to say the least.

Thanks again everybody for your input, I truly appreciate it.
Hi,

You got a really good deal on your iMac. I'm sure you will enjoy it.

Hiram

rickey939  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 15, 2006, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by Hiramw View Post
Hi,

You got a really good deal on your iMac. I'm sure you will enjoy it.

Hiram
Definitely, I'm excited for it to arrive.

Thanks!

Forum Links
Forum Rules