Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Alternative Operating Systems > Parallels Desktop for Mac: Beta 2 (Build 3094) Available!

Parallels Desktop for Mac: Beta 2 (Build 3094) Available!
rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 21, 2006, 02:42 PM

WizOSX
Mac Elite
Dec 21, 2006, 07:26 PM

And it now handles USB devices well!!

TheMosco
Mac Elite
Dec 21, 2006, 09:07 PM

I heard that Windows Media DRM doesn't hasn't worked.

Has anyone tried Napster or any of the other services in this beta?
AXP
ΔΣΦ

MikeD
Mac Elite
Dec 21, 2006, 09:53 PM

Is this the new beta that allows you to run your BootCamp windows version as well?
2009 MacMini 2.0 C2D 4GB (3,1) - Needs update!
11" MBA (2010 1.6GHz C2D)
iPhone 4 / iPad!
Hooked on Apple since the IIGS

rickey939  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 21, 2006, 11:22 PM

Originally Posted by MikeD View Post
Is this the new beta that allows you to run your BootCamp windows version as well?
That was Beta 1, this is Beta 2...

Both of them allow that feature.

MikeD
Mac Elite
Dec 22, 2006, 12:51 AM

I was reading about the activation stuff on there. Does this mean I need to call microsoft and get some kajillion # and letter sequence from them as well as read them this huge string of numbers just to get it working? It was a 15 minute phone call when I did that before. Ugh... Windows is working AOK in boot camp now but would like to have the option of going into parallels as well...
2009 MacMini 2.0 C2D 4GB (3,1) - Needs update!
11" MBA (2010 1.6GHz C2D)
iPhone 4 / iPad!
Hooked on Apple since the IIGS

ghporter
Administrator
Dec 22, 2006, 06:55 AM

Originally Posted by MikeD View Post
I was reading about the activation stuff on there. Does this mean I need to call microsoft and get some kajillion # and letter sequence from them as well as read them this huge string of numbers just to get it working? It was a 15 minute phone call when I did that before. Ugh... Windows is working AOK in boot camp now but would like to have the option of going into parallels as well...
No. Windows will connect, via the Internet, to Microsoft and handle the whole activation thing itself. The whole manual thing is what happens when this process doesn't work properly, or you do something odd like install the same copy on a different machine and you have to explain why in order to get that new machine running.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

fady
Dec 22, 2006, 02:25 PM

I am having a hard time downloading the new trial... anybody else or is it just me... it appears to stall after a few megabytes.

F.
fady :-)
proud owner of a MacPro.

dn15
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 22, 2006, 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by fady View Post
I am having a hard time downloading the new trial... anybody else or is it just me... it appears to stall after a few megabytes.
I've tried a few times today and it claims to finish downloading each time -- but when attempting to mount the image I get an error that there are no mountable filesystems. I tried it on multiple computers with the same results every time.

Toyin
Mac Elite
Dec 23, 2006, 01:02 AM

This beta is FAST

I use Parallels primarily for work, where I need to use IE 7 with full active-x controls and to print to a bunch of Windows printers. It now takes 5 seconds to suspend or re-launch parallels. I've got IE 7 in my dock and it launches faster then my native Firefox and almost as fast as Safari.

The new coherence mode is improved and I like the direction it's going in. The interface is still a little bit of a cludge but it's light years ahead of the last stable build in terms of efficiency.
-Toyin
13" MBA 1.8ghz i7
"It's all about the rims that ya got, and the rims that ya coulda had"
S.T. 1995

utw-Mephisto
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 23, 2006, 04:09 AM

Same problem here : Trying for a few days now .. just finished another download .. gonna check .... again ...

Edit: IT WORKED ...

TheMosco
Mac Elite
Dec 25, 2006, 05:49 PM

So I installed bootcamp and then went to install this beta. I ran into two issues:

The trackpad on my new macbook wouldn't work at all. Not sure why.

Second, navigating with the keyboard, it said that I had to re-activate my copy of windows. Does that mean I am going to have to re-activate everytime I switch between bootcamp and parallels?
AXP
ΔΣΦ

ghporter
Administrator
Dec 25, 2006, 07:00 PM

Mosco,

First, did you install all the drivers from your Boot Camp-produced CD? That's what the trackpad issue sounds like.

Second, you have to activate Windows ONCE for each installation (or major change in hardware). Activation can be completely automatic as long as you have an Internet connection-this is the preferred method in fact.

The issue of "multiple activations" between Parallels and Boot Camp has come up, and it turns out to be a non-issue. No sweat.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

TheMosco
Mac Elite
Dec 25, 2006, 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
Mosco,

First, did you install all the drivers from your Boot Camp-produced CD? That's what the trackpad issue sounds like.

Second, you have to activate Windows ONCE for each installation (or major change in hardware). Activation can be completely automatic as long as you have an Internet connection-this is the preferred method in fact.

The issue of "multiple activations" between Parallels and Boot Camp has come up, and it turns out to be a non-issue. No sweat.
yeah, I did install all the drivers for bootcamp. I am guessing I should uninstall the trackpad drivers?
AXP
ΔΣΦ

rickey939  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 26, 2006, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by Toyin View Post
This beta is FAST

I use Parallels primarily for work, where I need to use IE 7 with full active-x controls and to print to a bunch of Windows printers. It now takes 5 seconds to suspend or re-launch parallels. I've got IE 7 in my dock and it launches faster then my native Firefox and almost as fast as Safari.

The new coherence mode is improved and I like the direction it's going in. The interface is still a little bit of a cludge but it's light years ahead of the last stable build in terms of efficiency.
I agree, this beta is screaming thus far....

Love it!

TheMosco
Mac Elite
Dec 29, 2006, 04:09 PM

Beta3 is out and it fixed some of my issues with the keyboard and stuff. I made the mistake of activating windows in bootcamp instead of parallels, so now I can't activate it in bootcamp through the internet because it said that i had exceeded activation. Hopefully, when I get home from work, I can call the and get this sorted out.

And if not? just wait until i get back to school and find someone to buy me their 5 dollar copy of windows pro.
AXP
ΔΣΦ

Forum Links
Forum Rules