Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Warcraft 3 Installation Problems

Warcraft 3 Installation Problems
MindFad
Posting Junkie
Mar 20, 2007, 11:18 AM

The Scenario
So I'm a big WoW fan. I've only had a little exposure to the whole Warcraft series series, and that was through WCIII a long time ago, so I bought the the WCIII:RoC/WCIII:FT Battlechest (I love Starcraft, so I know I'll love this—and only $40!).

I have a MacBook Pro 15" 2GHz. I installed straight from the discs: WCIII:Roc first, and then installed WCIII:FT right after. I assumed they wouldn't work on the Intel machine straightaway, and this was confirmed when I went to launch WCIII:RoC (v1.0.7)—the screen goes black, looks like we're about to get rolling, and we come back to the Finder and crash.

Fine, no problem—there's an Intel version out now! So I downloaded the WCIII:RoC (v1.2.1a) patch (and the WCIII:FT 1.2.1a for afterwards, but didn't attempt installing it).

The Problem
The problem comes in when I attempt to update with the 1.2.1a updater (which supposedly updates any version of the game, including the straight install from the disc, to the latest). When I attempt to update, I get the following error:

I've tried a Google search and a search here on 'NN with no luck (only mentioned once on Google on Blizzard's Chinese support site). So I dunno what to try next, but hopefully someone has run into this, or may know what I should do!

As a note, I did attempting reinstalling. It did not work. I tried another machine (PPC), and also received the same error. The install order (as per suggestion of the updater page) on all attempts was WCIII:RoC CD > WCIII:FT CD > WCIII:RoC 1.2.1a Updater (error).

Thanks for any help!
( Last edited by MindFad; Mar 20, 2007 at 12:52 PM. )

goMac
Posting Junkie
Mar 20, 2007, 11:33 AM

Sounds like bad install cd's. Bad checksum means one of your files that got installed was different than the updater expected.
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

JonoMarshall
Senior User
Mar 20, 2007, 12:17 PM

Wasn't there a bad batch of CDs that didn't work for Macs back along?

Or was the problem that they simple didn't include the Mac files even though the box stated both versions, etc?

chrisdisregard
Mar 20, 2007, 02:28 PM

( Last edited by chrisdisregard; Nov 23, 2019 at 06:05 PM. )

MindFad  (op)
Posting Junkie
Mar 22, 2007, 12:20 AM

Tried one more time in desperation. No go. Same deal. If it turns out there is indeed a problem with the discs, is there some sort of replacement program with Blizzard that I might try? I think I've lost the receipt to Best Buy, and I don't think they would've taken it back anyway—maybe for an exchange. Damn it!

No word from Blizzard tech support yet either. I got an autoreply, but it said to reply back if it didn't solve my problem. Something about graphics was their solution, so I replied and explained that that does not help me. They're supposed to have a "technician" working on a solution for me and should get back to me within three business days. I guess that puts me at Friday as my third business day.

I shall keep you posted.

MindFad  (op)
Posting Junkie
Mar 25, 2007, 02:46 PM

Five days and nothing. Tech support FTL.

skye23412
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 29, 2007, 12:52 AM

i would torrent the .iso's and just use your serial number

MindFad  (op)
Posting Junkie
Mar 30, 2007, 02:48 AM

OK, it works. The one order I did not try:

Install WCIII:RoC CD —> WCIII:FT CD —> (SKIP RoC 1.2.1a PATCH) —> WCIII:FT 1.2.1a Patch

Now it freakin' works! Yay. Now we know—and knowing is half the battle.

mr. burns
Senior User
Mar 30, 2007, 12:14 PM

i started playing WoW without a whole lot of background lore knowledge and decided to play WC3. it really is cool how much you learn about the current situation in azeroth by playing it. i haven't finished the expansion yet, i'm in the middle of the last campaign, but it was definitely cool getting the whole story behind lady vashj, kael'thas and illidan, since they are the latest dungeon bosses.

not all who wander are lost.

Velocity211
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 3, 2007, 09:09 PM

Warcraft 3 doesn't even work for me on my Powerbook, when I try to start it, it goes to a black screen then crashes then back to the finder. I didn't apply any patches, started the game just right after I installed RoC.
iMac 24" | Core 2 Extreme 2.8GHz | 4GB RAM | 500GB HD
PowerBook G4 15" HR | 1.67GHz | 2GB RAM | 100GB HD
R.I.P 1995 Toyota Supra NA-T

MindFad  (op)
Posting Junkie
Apr 6, 2007, 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by Velocity211 View Post
Warcraft 3 doesn't even work for me on my Powerbook, when I try to start it, it goes to a black screen then crashes then back to the finder. I didn't apply any patches, started the game just right after I installed RoC.
Same here, and I'm on an Intel machine. Try applying the patches. If you have Frozen Throne, skip the RoC patch as I mentioned above.

Rumor
Apr 6, 2007, 06:09 PM

Mine worked for a while, then one day it quit. Goes to load, then back to finder. No error message at all. I uninstalled and reinstalled with patch (FT) to no avail. Uninstalled and reinstalled without patch, no avail. Installed RoC only, no avail. Repaired permissions, tried all the processes again, no avail.

At this point, I think the only thing that will work is an OS reinstall.
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

MindFad  (op)
Posting Junkie
Apr 6, 2007, 10:50 PM

May be corrupt preferences. One of the troubleshooting tips is to delete absolutely everything in your preferences folder that has to do with Blizzard. Corrupt prefs are one of the things that can make it just stop working like that.

Rumor
Apr 7, 2007, 12:13 AM

Which ones belong to Blizzard?
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

Forum Links
Forum Rules