Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Heads-up Wii Owners: Christmas Tree Lights!

Heads-up Wii Owners: Christmas Tree Lights!
rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 11, 2007, 09:36 PM

I had a Wii-mote (well all of them actually) that was acting very strange and not being picked up by the motion sensor over the last few days. It would read the right half of the TV fine, but then be jerky and flat-out disappear on the left side of the screen....very irritating. After a little bit of research and help from the Nintendo forums, I found this little nugget:

Verify that there are no bright light sources, including sunlight, behind or near the TV, shining towards the Wii Remote or reflecting off the TV screen. Avoid sources of infrared light in the gameplay area such as electric, propane or kerosene heaters, flames from fireplaces or candles, and stoves or other sources of heat. If there are bright lights shinning directly behind the TV or on the screen, turn the lights off.

Sure enough, our Christmas tree sits pretty close to the TV and the tree lights were causing the interference. Turning off the tree immediately restore the Wii-mote and sensor motion back to where it should be.

Just wanted to give you a heads-up in case you experience the same thing. I was about 85% sure I was going to have to send off the motion sensor to get repaired.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Dec 11, 2007, 09:45 PM

Related tip: There's a "calibrate sensor" option or something like that in the Wii's settings. It basically shows you what the Wiimote is seeing (normally it will just be two rhythmically blinking lights from the Wii sensor bar). You can use that to figure out where interference is coming from. You can also adjust the sensitivity so less bright lights don't affect it.
( Last edited by Chuckit; Dec 11, 2007 at 09:55 PM. )
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 11, 2007, 11:01 PM

My Wiimotes go schizo if I try to play my Wii when the sun's setting, because one of my side windows of the bay window in my living room faces West, and my TV faces that window. If you go to the calibration thing, there are like ten little white dots on the screen. Closing the blinds takes care of it.
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Dec 14, 2007, 01:48 PM

I've had no problems with mine, and our Christmas tree sits only about 3-4 feet to the left of the TV.

Forum Links
Forum Rules