Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Wii Fit

Wii Fit
rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
May 24, 2008, 11:15 PM

Anybody have it? Any good?

Andhee
Mac Enthusiast
May 25, 2008, 09:01 AM

Yeah, I have it, its alright I suppose, can be pretty fun. Make sure you have your blinds closed on your windows, otherwise people walking around outside would you think you were a pr*ck.
Macbook mid 2007: 2Gb Ram, Intel core 2 duo, 2.16GHz, 500Gb HDD, Snow Leopard 10.6.6
HTC HD7 (Windows Phone 7!)
iPod 5G 80GB
iPod Mini 4GB (Blue)

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
May 25, 2008, 11:10 AM

my brother has it, I think it's ok. I don't think its a replacement for exercise, more to hilight how unfit you are.
we don't have time to stop for gas

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
May 25, 2008, 12:41 PM

As someone who does prefer the outdoors.... i gotta give this one a 'meh'. i'm sure the public will eat it up, but its not my sort of thing.

Cheers

Demonhood
Administrator
May 25, 2008, 02:54 PM

i anxiously anticipate when they incorporate it into a first person shooter.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
May 26, 2008, 10:04 AM

In typical Nintendo "we can't make enough of something simple" it is sold out everywhere I look.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
May 26, 2008, 03:58 PM

Same here, anybody surprise though, I find hilarious there are bathroom scales more expensive than Wii Fit…

brightwindows
Baninated
dealstudio spammer
May 27, 2008, 03:34 AM

It is very popular right now. I have been searching for it from amazon, bestbuy and buy.com, all of them are out of stock. Anyway I have found a deal on the Wii Fit with Balance Board Nintendo for $90, that's the lowest price I can find, is that a good buy?

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
May 27, 2008, 08:09 AM

I'm not even impressed that it's sold out. It's probab,y being under produced like the Wii itself to simulate higher demand.

sek929
Posting Junkie
May 27, 2008, 10:38 AM

This is exactly the opposite of the kind of game I want to play after a long hard day of work.

Might be good for little fat kids I guess.

Zeeb
Mac Elite
May 27, 2008, 11:18 AM

A gym membership would be much more effective. Still, its better than nothing if your lifestyle is work, eat and sleep. I'm not surprised demand is so high. A lot of people are ashamed to go to the gym or exercise in public for whatever reason.

ajprice
Professional Poster
May 27, 2008, 12:00 PM

Other games will use the Wii board as well as Wii Fit, like Raving Rabbids 3 (going by the video that this still comes from - its a bit of a hint!).

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

wallinbl
Professional Poster
May 28, 2008, 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by Zeeb View Post
A gym membership would be much more effective. Still, its better than nothing if your lifestyle is work, eat and sleep. I'm not surprised demand is so high. A lot of people are ashamed to go to the gym or exercise in public for whatever reason.
I'm getting a little bored with everyone comparing a Wii Fit a gym. Gyms are expensive (LifeStyle costs as much in a single month as a Wii Fit). Gyms are not located at my house, which means extra time to and from. Gyms don't allow my kids to enter, which means I need childcare in order to go there. Gyms are usually not 24/7, which means I can't go when it's convenient for me.

I use the local municipal gym when it's convenient. I have the Wii Fit, and I can use it more often than I can get to the gym. So, it's not a replacement, just a supplement.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
May 28, 2008, 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by ajprice View Post
Other games will use the Wii board as well as Wii Fit, like Raving Rabbids 3 (going by the video that this still comes from - its a bit of a hint!).

Zeeb
Mac Elite
May 28, 2008, 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by wallinbl View Post
I'm getting a little bored with everyone comparing a Wii Fit a gym. Gyms are expensive (LifeStyle costs as much in a single month as a Wii Fit). Gyms are not located at my house, which means extra time to and from. Gyms don't allow my kids to enter, which means I need childcare in order to go there. Gyms are usually not 24/7, which means I can't go when it's convenient for me.

I use the local municipal gym when it's convenient. I have the Wii Fit, and I can use it more often than I can get to the gym. So, it's not a replacement, just a supplement.
I'm not disagreeing with you. Gyms are more expensive and not always convenient to get to. If you can't fit a gym workout into your routine for valid reasons that doesn't make you a bad or lazy person. However, you can't equate the effectiveness of typical gym equipment to the Wii--or taking a run outside.

Also, the Wii Fit has only been out a very short while so whatever routine you've developed is brand new. If you don't get tired of the Wii Fit and consistently use it that's great. Combining home exercise equipment and video games is generally an excellent idea. I think a more advanced version of the Wii Fit could eventually be developed into a more comprehensive fitness program.

wallinbl
Professional Poster
May 28, 2008, 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by Zeeb View Post
Also, the Wii Fit has only been out a very short while so whatever routine you've developed is brand new. If you don't get tired of the Wii Fit and consistently use it that's great. Combining home exercise equipment and video games is generally an excellent idea. I think a more advanced version of the Wii Fit could eventually be developed into a more comprehensive fitness program.
It feels like a technology demo more than a full product. I expect better software. I shouldn't have to navigate menus between each exercise. I should be able to set up a sequence, save it with a name ("Abs/Core" or "Lower") and do it without interruption, but I can't. It somewhat bugs me that you have to unlock exercises.

The balance games are fun at a party. Most people suck royally at them without practice.

I like it so far. I'm completely sure that within six months, I'll want a more fully featured version.

SamoanDude
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 29, 2008, 10:22 AM

I didn't even know this was released yet. I want to try it, but hope for good games for it

dpicardi
Forum Regular
May 29, 2008, 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by Demonhood View Post
i anxiously anticipate when they incorporate it into a first person shooter.
I think it will be great when they incorporate surfing, boarding, skiiing and other real games into it.

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
May 29, 2008, 04:37 PM

I want a sobriety test on it.

Gankdawg
Professional Poster
Jun 3, 2008, 11:12 AM

I'd like to get one but my living room is too small and I just don't see myself being consistent with it. I run 2-3 times per week but that's about as good as it gets.

anthology123
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 13, 2008, 12:47 PM

Can you use more than one Wii Fit on a console, or is there no software yet that supports that? Sounds kind of lame, to have two people exercising together, but if you can do a snowboard race with two player, that might be fun.

@pplejaxkz
Senior User
Jun 13, 2008, 02:36 PM

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 13, 2008, 02:39 PM

I knew that involved a woman before I even clicked.

@pplejaxkz
Senior User
Jun 13, 2008, 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by Dakar the Fourth View Post
I knew that involved a woman before I even clicked.
Yeah I just recently saw it on Break and the thread title reminded me of it. How masculine right lol.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Jun 14, 2008, 11:05 AM

Does anyone feel that this thing is helping in the least to make them fit or lose weight?

Forum Links
Forum Rules