Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > RCA to plain old wire adapter?

RCA to plain old wire adapter?
zerostar
Mac Elite
Jun 19, 2007, 02:20 PM

I have a run of RCA cables (red & white) I have a set of home theatre speakers I want to run from where the RCA's start to where they end (they work out perfectly and are already run in the wall)

Is this possible and is there an adapter that would basically split each RCA into a +/- line for the speakers? They are male ends on both sides of the RCA line.

I think the system puts out 400watts but is a 2.1 channel system and only the 2 shelf speakers would be run through the RCA -- NOT THE SUB, that is hooked directly with a proprietary cable system.

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Jun 19, 2007, 02:22 PM

Wire cutters?

starman
Clinically Insane
Jun 19, 2007, 02:24 PM

I was going to say the same thing. Just cut the wires. Use the wires with the printing on them for -. Or, if there's no printing on one of the pair, one of them should be molded differently than the other.

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

zerostar  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 19, 2007, 02:26 PM

Yeah I can cut and heat wrap I was hoping there was an adapter for when I wanted to go back to using RCA.

I need Time Machine for real life. *sigh*

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 19, 2007, 02:31 PM

Make your own adapter out of cheap/short RCAs, then run those form the speaker to your existing RCA, thus preserving your original RCA.

Or screw em and cut em and buy new ones if you ever need them.
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

awaspaas
Mac Elite
Jun 20, 2007, 12:25 AM

I seriously can't be the only one that has a whole box full of old unused RCA cables and etc. Go look in your closet/basement/storage room and I guarantee you'll find at least two of them you can slice up!

zerostar  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 20, 2007, 01:47 PM

I have LOTS of crap boxes, closets, drawers hahaha but not one female RCA cable, oh well i will maybe just cut them and see how that does.

anthology123
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 20, 2007, 03:40 PM

you can buy all the parts you need for this at Radio Shack, or Frys.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Jun 20, 2007, 05:09 PM

Wait. RCAs for speaker cables? What is this strange world you live in?
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

residentEvil
Professional Poster
Jun 21, 2007, 01:54 PM

sure, why not? just make sure you only use the wire strands on the connection and not the shielding in the middle.

hell, i used a box of cat5 when i ran a pair of speakers to the roof of my old loft. cheap (already had it) and easy.

SomeToast
Senior User
Jun 22, 2007, 04:56 AM

Originally Posted by residentEvil View Post
hell, i used a box of cat5 when i ran a pair of speakers to the roof of my old loft. cheap (already had it) and easy.
The house I rent had two unused Cat5 lines in each room running to the phone closet. Wired them up with some Leviton RCA modular jacks to connect stereos in two rooms to the computer in a third. They have punch-down blocks just like a phone jack. Quick, easy and the audio quality is surprisingly good (of course, the computer's playing mp3s, so that's a relative scale).

residentEvil
Professional Poster
Jun 22, 2007, 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by SomeToast View Post
The house I rent had two unused Cat5 lines in each room running to the phone closet. Wired them up with some Leviton RCA modular jacks to connect stereos in two rooms to the computer in a third. They have punch-down blocks just like a phone jack. Quick, easy and the audio quality is surprisingly good (of course, the computer's playing mp3s, so that's a relative scale).

yup; i use all leviton wall outlet products in my house in garage. they make great stuff (and grey fox at the distribution side).

ghporter
Administrator
Jun 22, 2007, 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by Doofy View Post
Wait. RCAs for speaker cables? What is this strange world you live in?
A lot of new construction homes have prewired speaker locations. Just mount the speaker where the wall plate is, and plug it in. Hopefully those wall plate will be where YOU want the speakers, though that's not a guarantee.

You can get plain old, unwired RCA plugs at the local Radio Shack for cheap. The only problem with this is that you need to solder the wire to the plug in most cases, and frankly there aren't a lot of people out there who can solder-including people who think they can solder! But making your own is the best option, followed closely by cannibalizing inexpensive RCA cables to do the job-I'd get cheap ones that were long enough for you to make TWO "RCA to Speaker Wire" adapters if I were you.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Forum Links
Forum Rules