Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Os9 and x

Os9 and x
the macimum
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 17, 2006, 07:39 PM

Is there a way to install Os 9 and 10 without partitioning the HD, so, like boot camp, you can choose which one you want to boot with?

Thanks.

the macimum  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 17, 2006, 07:58 PM

Oh sorry, I guess when you are using boot camp, you are partitioning. Sorry don't use bootcamp.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Apr 17, 2006, 08:03 PM

OS 9 and OS X can go on the same partition without problems. However, if you go this way, you will have to use the Startup Disk control panel to switch between them, because holding down the Option key at startup to get the bootloader will only show the one partition with whichever OS you booted it with last.

If you want to use the bootloader, you have to repartition.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

Peabo
Senior User
Apr 17, 2006, 08:11 PM

Only if your Mac was made before January 2003!
LC 16Mhz • LC 475 25Mhz • Centris 650 25Mhz • Performa 6200/75Mhz • G3 266Mhz • Snow iMac DVSE 500Mhz
G4 QS 733Mhz • 17" Powerbook 1.33Ghz • 15" MacBook Pro Core Duo 2.16Ghz • Mac Pro 8-Core 3.0 Ghz

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Apr 17, 2006, 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by z0ne81
Only if your Mac was made before January 2003!
Well, since he was talking about dual booting OS 9 and OS X, I guess I kind of assumed he has a machine that can do so...

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

OreoCookie
Apr 18, 2006, 05:16 AM

He has a Dual G5 which is unable to run OS9 as standalone OS (well, kind of, the Apple Hardware Test is based on OS9).
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Apr 18, 2006, 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by OreoCookie
He has a Dual G5 which is unable to run OS9 as standalone OS (well, kind of, the Apple Hardware Test is based on OS9).
Ah, I guess that serves me right for never reading signatures. Still, though, one of his machines is a dual G5, but we don't know that that is the machine he is asking about. Also, he could be contemplating the purchase of a TiBook on eBay for all I know, so I just answered his question.

I guess it's more my style just to answer questions that people ask rather than try to divine exactly what they're trying to do.

OreoCookie
Apr 18, 2006, 06:52 PM

You're right, he could. Well, he'll have to specify what machine he's talking about.

production_coordinator
Mac Elite
Apr 18, 2006, 08:16 PM

Not to be "that guy"... but why on earth would you want to install OS 9 on any computer? The only reason IMHO is if the computer doesn't run OS X.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Apr 18, 2006, 09:05 PM

Maybe he managed to find some app that doesn't work right in Classic and that he has to use? Who cares, really? A guy asked a question. We're supposed to be here to help him, not question his reasons.

production_coordinator
Mac Elite
Apr 18, 2006, 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by CharlesS
Maybe he managed to find some app that doesn't work right in Classic and that he has to use? Who cares, really? A guy asked a question. We're supposed to be here to help him, not question his reasons.
True... but he is a novice user... so I thought I would ask.

the macimum  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 20, 2006, 01:26 PM

Well, all my friends have macs with OS 9, They all have iMac g3's and dont like lag, so they stay with it. SOme of the games and files they send me are totally bootleg and only work on OS9

the macimum  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 20, 2006, 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by CharlesS
Ah, I guess that serves me right for never reading signatures. Still, though, one of his machines is a dual G5, but we don't know that that is the machine he is asking about. Also, he could be contemplating the purchase of a TiBook on eBay for all I know, so I just answered his question.

I guess it's more my style just to answer questions that people ask rather than try to divine exactly what they're trying to do.
Oh well, it is the powermac,

production_coordinator
Mac Elite
Apr 23, 2006, 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by the macimum
Well, all my friends have macs with OS 9, They all have iMac g3's and dont like lag, so they stay with it. SOme of the games and files they send me are totally bootleg and only work on OS9
Get new friends.

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Apr 23, 2006, 09:48 PM

Assuming that your Mac can boot OS9, it is possible to install both operating systems on either the same volume or separate volumes. Technically there is no advantage or disadvantage to either setup, but some (myself included) prefer to keep them on separate partitions, so that the two filesystems remain cleaner.

Once you've done this, you can hold down the Option key at startup to pick which operating system you wish to load. At least in theory there should be a way to force the OS to do this by default every startup, but nobody has figured out how to do so.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Apr 24, 2006, 03:08 AM

Originally Posted by Millennium
Assuming that your Mac can boot OS9, it is possible to install both operating systems on either the same volume or separate volumes. Technically there is no advantage or disadvantage to either setup, but some (myself included) prefer to keep them on separate partitions, so that the two filesystems remain cleaner.
Yes, there is an advantage to having two partitions, as I pointed out already - you can use the Option key then to switch between OSs. You can't do it if they're on the same partition. Try it sometime if you don't believe me.

the macimum  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 24, 2006, 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by production_coordinator
Get new friends.
Workin' on it.

the macimum  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 24, 2006, 09:34 AM

So wait, even if I partition the HD, I can't run OS9 without running os 10 first, or I can't even run it at all.

wadesworld
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 24, 2006, 10:13 AM

You cannot run OS 9 on that Dual G5, period.

You'll have to find somewhere else to run pirated software.

OreoCookie
Apr 24, 2006, 11:50 AM

So wait, even if I partition the HD, I can't run OS9 without running os 10 first, or I can't even run it at all.
You can only run it as classic within OS X. For that, you don't need to partition your harddrive. I would recommend you install OS 9 onto a disk image and then open the disk image when you need OS 9.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Apr 24, 2006, 12:05 PM

Why on earth run Classic from a disk image?
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Apr 24, 2006, 12:48 PM

If you're using a modern PowerPC machine, you can't boot into OS 9, but you can use the Classic environment within OS X to run OS 9 apps.

If you have an Intel Mac, of course (which you don't), then you can't run OS 9 apps at all. Isn't that great? A number of people on here seem to think that's the best thing since sliced bread.

the macimum  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 24, 2006, 06:58 PM

Oh, thats so stupid, why?

OreoCookie
Apr 24, 2006, 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit
Why on earth run Classic from a disk image?
It keeps your directory structure clean and does not meddle with OS X. That's the way we did it in the company I used to work for. We had a Classic disk image on a server that you simply downloaded if you needed it.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Apr 24, 2006, 07:17 PM

Because the users screamed for Apple to discontinue the Classic environment, and they got their wish.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Apr 25, 2006, 12:34 AM

I made that mistake myself - the AHT only looks like OS 9 because it is an easier interface to reproduce, but AHT is actually just a face on Open Firmware.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

OreoCookie
Apr 25, 2006, 02:48 AM

Originally Posted by Big Mac
I made that mistake myself - the AHT only looks like OS 9 because it is an easier interface to reproduce, but AHT is actually just a face on Open Firmware.
No, it's a small OS actually even if it just used to access Open Firmware. I'm fairly certain it is based on OS 9. Run a test and (e. g. the disk test and press a button ).

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Apr 25, 2006, 02:38 PM

Well, when I made the same claim other knowledgeable members said I was mistaken. Maybe I'll find the thread. Out of curiosity, what does the AHT interface for the Mactels look like?

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

production_coordinator
Mac Elite
Apr 25, 2006, 04:22 PM

Because OS 9 and Classic are dead for the most part. Why waste development time on a dead OS.

OreoCookie
Apr 25, 2006, 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by Big Mac
Well, when I made the same claim other knowledgeable members said I was mistaken. Maybe I'll find the thread. Out of curiosity, what does the AHT interface for the Mactels look like?
I was wondering the same thing. There was no AHT CD included with my MacBook Pro, though, you have the use the installation dvd and press D during start-up.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Apr 25, 2006, 07:39 PM

And what does it look like?

Forum Links
Forum Rules