Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Is it possible to decrypt a sparseimage file and recover data?

Is it possible to decrypt a sparseimage file and recover data?
madhusoodanan70
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 25, 2008, 07:50 PM

Have a 20 GB sparseimage file that I backed up when my passwords were not working and the genius bar fella was not able to recover the data. Any way to decrypt it and get the data out? Diskwarrior also was not helpful.

HELP PLEEEESE...

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Nov 25, 2008, 07:55 PM

I think the short answer is no.

If you don't know the password, brute force is your only viable option.

-t

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Nov 25, 2008, 08:21 PM

File Vault should never have made it as a general OS feature.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 25, 2008, 08:35 PM

FileVault sucks, but that's not an excuse for not having backups.

JKT
Professional Poster
Nov 26, 2008, 05:29 AM

Do you two (Big Mac, Tetenal) even use FileVault? I can only assume not given the truly idiotic nature of your comments.

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Nov 26, 2008, 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
File Vault should never have made it as a general OS feature.
Originally Posted by TETENAL View Post
FileVault sucks, but that's not an excuse for not having backups.
Originally Posted by JKT View Post
Do you two (Big Mac, Tetenal) even use FileVault? I can only assume not given the truly idiotic nature of your comments.
Actually both of them speak wisely. Its better to use an encrypted disk image then file vault. The risk of losing your entire home folder because of a minor file corruption is too great for most general users - it causes more problems then it solves. If I worked at the CIA or something well that would be different.

Just do a search here or google and you'll find tons of people who had too many problems with FV to make it a viable solution to keep your data safe.
~Mike

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Nov 26, 2008, 12:25 PM

Espionage, FTW.

Encrypt only what's really sensitive. Not your whole home folder.

-t

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 26, 2008, 01:21 PM

I administer 120 Macs. All filevaulted.
I have never had any issues with Filevaulting. Nor have I read any "horror" stories on Mac OS X / Mac Enterprise mailing lists.

Espionage is cool, but using that to encrypt your email or your desktop is a logistical nightmare.

My only beef with FV is that it borks Time Machine.
we don't have time to stop for gas

madhusoodanan70  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 26, 2008, 02:59 PM

Thanks a lot for all the respones folks. Turtle, what brute force method do you suggest?

Looks like CIA may be able to make good bucks if they get into the service business. Would have been nice to have friendship with an agent indeed (just dreamin).

madhusoodanan70  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 26, 2008, 03:11 PM

What actually happened was once I saw the service providers name in the servers list instead of my home network folder name there. A second time I noticed the name of a different computer in my network server list instead of mine. I logged out and when I tried to log back in, my filevault would not allow me to do it. Although I tried the correct master password, this also did not work. Eventually, I just backed up the sparseimage hoping that some day, someone will come up with a method to decrypt it and get the data out.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Nov 26, 2008, 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by madhusoodanan70 View Post
Turtle, what brute force method do you suggest? .
I'm not sure if this will help.

http://www.macforensicslab.com/Produ...c83908916532cb

Basically, brute force just means that you'd try (either manually or with software) to guess the password.

This WILL take a long time, and you will need a lot of computing power to be successful.

-t

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 26, 2008, 04:00 PM

If you know for a fact that the passward and the master password are correct, then the FileVault sparseimage is probably corrupted. Brute force guessing the password does not help. You already know it.

There is probably nothing you can do to recover your data. Maybe a professional data recovery service could do something. It would be best (and cheapest) to simply restore your data from your backup.

Doc Juansinn
Senior User
Nov 27, 2008, 01:59 AM

There's a thread at Apple Discussions in which a guy recovered data from his corrupted sparseimage. May or may not work for you, but perhaps it's worth a try.
http://discussions.apple.com/thread....readID=1200247

JKT
Professional Poster
Nov 27, 2008, 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by Maflynn View Post
Actually both of them speak wisely. Its better to use an encrypted disk image then file vault. The risk of losing your entire home folder because of a minor file corruption is too great for most general users - it causes more problems then it solves. If I worked at the CIA or something well that would be different.

Just do a search here or google and you'll find tons of people who had too many problems with FV to make it a viable solution to keep your data safe.
An encrypted disk image is worthless if it doesn't encrypt all the temporary files that get created too. Such as those in your user Library folder. Oh, guess what? It can't do that. So no, an encrypted disk image is not a viable solution to use in place of an encrypted home folder and encrypted RAM.

The risk of losing your entire home folder because of minor file corruption is minimal if you have a rigourous back-up strategy for your data. And if you use something like FileVault (on whatever platform) then you are a fricking idiot if you don't have a rigourous back-up strategy because, alas, it does increase the risk of catastrophic data loss. However, that risk is far outweighed by the practical benefit it brings of securing your data.

madhusoodanan70  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 29, 2008, 05:21 PM

What I have is an encrypted home folder. What is weird with an encrypted home folder?

wadesworld
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 9, 2008, 11:38 AM

I've been using FileVault for more than 6 months. No problems whatsoever.

Forum Links
Forum Rules