Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Hollywood movies on IMAX screens?

Hollywood movies on IMAX screens?
prutz11
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 21, 2004, 10:10 AM

Has anyone ever seen a hollywood movie on an IMAX screen? I heard about them releasing the matrix for IMAX... but I am wondering if its worth the extra time, effort, and cash to see a feature film in IMAX. I am thinking about taking my nephews to the Harry Potter Movie in IMAX... but if its just a gimmick... screw that.

thoughts?
Polar Express RE-MASTERED >>in 3D<< for IMAX! www.imax.com

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 21, 2004, 10:18 AM

i have seen the matrix reloaded and the tom cruise "everybody runs" movie (i forgot the title) at the imax.

i watched the tom cruise one for the first time at the imax and i missed too much of it, constantly looking around to see it. i watched matrix at the cinema and then at the imax and enjoyed it a lot more because i knew what was going to happen and was not missing out on the story, etc.

the matrix was very cool at the imax. everything was *huge*. could almost see the pores on laurence fishburn's skin... okay, maybe imax movies are not a good idea

naaa, it was good.

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 21, 2004, 10:32 AM

Originally posted by prutz11:
Has anyone ever seen a hollywood movie on an IMAX screen? I heard about them releasing the matrix for IMAX... but I am wondering if its worth the extra time, effort, and cash to see a feature film in IMAX. I am thinking about taking my nephews to the Harry Potter Movie in IMAX... but if its just a gimmick... screw that.

thoughts?
I saw Matrix revolutions on IMAX. It was worth it. The sound is AWESOME. Thought the movie sucked. It was worth it to see in IMAX for that one time I've seen that movie.
"Evil is Powerless If the Good are Unafraid." -Ronald Reagan

Apple and Intel, the dawning of a NEW era.

finboy
Apr 21, 2004, 11:13 AM

Originally posted by prutz11:

thoughts?
Saw Apollo 13 at the National Air & Space Museum IMAX in DC last year. Completely worth it. Even though I've seen that movie a dozen times, this was worth waiting in line for.

I guess it would depend upon the film. "American Pie" or some lame sh*t like that probably wouldn't benefit from the Imax treatment.

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 21, 2004, 11:40 AM

I also saw Episode 2 On IMAX as well. Well worth it to see on IMAX. Made the movie a little better even though they cut a bit of it out.
"Evil is Powerless If the Good are Unafraid." -Ronald Reagan

Apple and Intel, the dawning of a NEW era.

prutz11  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 21, 2004, 11:51 AM

Sweet... thanks for the input... sounds like it will be awesome. It looks like they are going to be releasing Catwoman in IMAX too... Wonder if its a good stock to buy
Polar Express RE-MASTERED >>in 3D<< for IMAX! www.imax.com

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 21, 2004, 12:06 PM

It is my opinion that Imax films are cropped too much compared to regular panavision 2.35:1 aspect ratio movies to make up for the inordinately large screen.

In other words, if you are a widescreen advocate and hate the way movies the "chopped" when shown on television, you will not enjoy an Imax presentation.

See your movie on a huge screen at a theatre with good sound.

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

starman
Clinically Insane
Apr 21, 2004, 12:18 PM

There are two problems with movies that are converted to IMAX:

1) They're edited.
2) The film frame is cropped.

I've never actually seen a Hollywood film at an IMAX theater, and I never will because of those two reasons.

Mike

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

Altix
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 21, 2004, 12:36 PM

To get the best out of it, it really has to be shot for IMAX.
"Empty your mind. Be formless, shapeless, like tea. Now you put tea into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put tea into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, you put it in a teapot, it becomes the teapot. Now tea can flow, or it can crash... Be tea my Friend..." -Bruce Lee and Erilaz

finboy
Apr 21, 2004, 05:32 PM

Originally posted by Altix:
To get the best out of it, it really has to be shot for IMAX.
Agreed, of course. I'm usually a purist when it comes to how much pan & scan sux, but A13 was completely worth seeing at IMax.

Veronica
Forum Regular
Apr 21, 2004, 05:46 PM

Originally posted by typoon:
I also saw Episode 2 On IMAX as well. Well worth it to see on IMAX. Made the movie a little better because they cut a bit of it out.
Fixed.

Altix
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 21, 2004, 07:19 PM

Originally posted by finboy:
Agreed, of course. I'm usually a purist when it comes to how much pan & scan sux, but A13 was completely worth seeing at IMax.
I've seen some really bad pan n scans in my time, ones in which a scene will have 2 actors in the foreground, with importamt dialogue, and the ditor of the pan doesn't know who to focus on, so instead just aims right between them, cutting both actors out of the screen. lol
"Empty your mind. Be formless, shapeless, like tea. Now you put tea into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put tea into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, you put it in a teapot, it becomes the teapot. Now tea can flow, or it can crash... Be tea my Friend..." -Bruce Lee and Erilaz

rezzi
Apr 21, 2004, 07:50 PM

Revolutions in IMAX was supposed to, but never made it to my local theater (crap!). I did see NASCAR 3D which was filmed specifically in IMAX. Totally blew me away!

mattyd
Senior User
Apr 21, 2004, 08:25 PM

i saw matrix revolutions in IMAX. aside from the cropping issue (which is sacrilege to anyone who's really a movie person) the thing was just too damn BIG. i kept having to turn my head from side to side -- like at a tennis match) to watch scenes with dialog and the fight scenes made me dizzy.

Forum Links
Forum Rules