Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > Are there any present or former G3 owners here ?

Are there any present or former G3 owners here ?
pcd2k
Mac Enthusiast
May 8, 2004, 11:15 AM

I need to upgrade in order to edit & render videos so I definitely need to upgrade my b/w G3 350mghtz tower but need to decide whether to get the 900 mghtz G3 chip or the 550 mghtz G4. The G3 chip is obviously faster but a friend has suggested that the G3 doesn;t have altivec which apparently helps to render quicker.

So can anyone here offer any suggestions ?

willab
Mac Enthusiast
May 8, 2004, 12:45 PM

Final Cut Pro and Express both require a G4 or G5.
Dual 1.8 GHz G5
PB G4 1.67 GHz

dlefebvre
Mac Elite
May 8, 2004, 04:23 PM

Go for the G4.

nwyaker
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 10, 2004, 07:30 PM

Sell the G3 and buy a dual processor G4 and you'll be better off for editing and dollarwise as well.

dampeoples
Mac Elite
May 10, 2004, 09:10 PM

Final Cut Express will work with a G3, dunno about version 2 though. (iMac 700MHz)

dlefebvre
Mac Elite
May 10, 2004, 09:45 PM

Originally posted by dampeoples:
Final Cut Express will work with a G3, dunno about version 2 though. (iMac 700MHz)
Version 2 of FCE only works with a G4 and up.

ryju
Professional Poster
May 11, 2004, 08:53 AM

I'm stuck using FCE1.0 on my G3. Until I upgrade at least.

rezzi
May 11, 2004, 11:46 PM

FCP 2.0 runs great on my B&W 350 mhz. I'll probably upgrade it with a Powerlogix 1 ghz G3. Either that or spring for a G4 machine when I run across some scrill.

pcd2k  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
May 16, 2004, 12:08 PM

Anyone heard strange noises from their hard drives ?

over at the periphary forum I posted

"For about two weeks now I thought there was an animal with an unusual cry living out on or in the underside of the neighbours roof adjacent to my open shutter windows, but alas dear yorkick The Somewhat Unnerving Sound appears to be issuing from my new Hitachi 7200 rpm 80 gig drive.

The drive makes the spooky sound when its labouring over hot coals, I've only just discovered this peculiar sound upon lifting my donk from the floor to get quicker access to the burner.

In short my other drives more so make fast clicking sounds when under duress WHICH SOUND PRETTY MUCH like they normally do or should, thus this crying cat sound - is it normal or should I be more concerned ?

The drive seems to work ok but when it makes this eaerrie sound I shudder to think that its maybe gonna die RSN.

BUT JUST THEN AS I WAS PUSHING MY KEYBOARD I HEARD A SIMILIAR SOUND BUT NOT ISSUING FROM MY DONK but definitely from outside my window which sounded uncannily like my drive: Hey does this mean there is an immitator on the roof next door, or is my drive communicating with the animal kingdom ?

HEY THERE COULD BE MOVIE IN THAT ?"

but I now wonder if my its a normal sound coming from my Hitachi 80 gig or maybe because it only has a 2 meg buffer ?

(incidently I liked the reponse I got over at that forum)

Forum Links
Forum Rules