Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > 24 - Season 3

24 - Season 3 (Page 2)
vmpaul  (op)
Professional Poster
May 19, 2004, 05:32 PM

Originally posted by itai195:
I'm no fanatic, Trekkie type that likes to pick apart everything, but this show has some pretty glaring holes.

Anyway, it's an exciting show, even if the writers aren't the greatest.
Either am I but in the past the holes weren't so transparent. That's probably why I don't see myself watching this next season.

The first two seasons were a bit smarter(that's arguable, I know) than this one.
The only thing that I am reasonably sure of is that anybody who's got an ideology has stopped thinking. - Arthur Miller

jbartone
Dedicated MacNNer
May 26, 2004, 06:18 AM

What did you all think of the finale?

I loved it, and I didn't really mind the ending. Cant have death after death after death. Plus it leaves S4 wide open.

C.J. Moof
Mac Elite
May 26, 2004, 10:24 AM

While I liked it, I get annoyed about how Jack has some sort of spidey-sense or such- he just knew that one line was the one to keep an eye on, so the courier didn't get far out of the station, he seems to just sniff the air and decide to head up to the top floor of the school, and once he had the bioweapon, he didn't need to figure out where to go, of course the refrigerator is down the hall on the 3rd door on the right. (yeah, we see someone go through that room, but I don't recall if it's Jack or Chase)

I was suprised at Chase's fate- that was harsher than I saw coming. I thought it would be another typical 00:02 bomb disabling thing.
OS X: Where software installation doesn't require wizards with shields.

vmpaul  (op)
Professional Poster
May 26, 2004, 11:10 AM

I was really disappointed. It wasn't that different than any normal police show. Car chase, check. Baddy gets killed, check. Tearful I'm-going-to-jail-Honey-don't-wait-for-me speech, check. Dramatic nail-biting cut-the-wire scene, check. I expect more out of 24. From a series that's had nuclear explosions, biological weapons release, decapitations, etc., I expect more than just your standard NYPD Blue ending.

Ok, the chop the hand thing was out of the ordinary. But other than that it was dull. They didn't answer half the questions that were raised last season or during this one.

I don't see making the effort to even watch it next season if it's going to be a run-of-the-mill police drama.
The only thing that I am reasonably sure of is that anybody who's got an ideology has stopped thinking. - Arthur Miller

Stradlater
Professional Poster
May 26, 2004, 11:42 AM

Agreed. Not a good ending. This show's been going downhill after season one. Not sure if I'll put in the effort to watch next year.
"You rise," he said, "like Aurora."

Agasthya
Professional Poster
May 26, 2004, 11:53 AM

Originally posted by jbartone:
What did you all think of the finale?

I loved it, and I didn't really mind the ending. Cant have death after death after death. Plus it leaves S4 wide open.
I thought it was weak. Very prolonged. The episode could have easily been over in 10 minutes if it wasn't for Gael's wife. It seems like she was written in because the writers were like "Oh, crap, we have so much time and nothing to do." My roommate and I initially thought that they would call back but then we remembered the graphic violence warning

Monique
Mac Elite
May 26, 2004, 12:52 PM

I do not understand why you say it takes you some effort to watch a tv show it is not like you are discovering a vaccine of some sort or chopping woods and I loved it when Jack chopped off Chase arm it was kind of cool and I am glad that the President is not coming back if there was a weak link in that show it was that character. I surely will watch next year and it cannot be like a movie over in 2 hours there is going to be some dull moments in a movie that last 22 hours.

itai195
Addicted to MacNN
May 26, 2004, 01:03 PM

It was just okay to me... Gael's wife shooting Saunders was pretty predictable after she caught a glance of his photo on the monitor. I agree with the spidey sense comment too. With the glaring lack of decent shows on TV, I'll probably continue watching 24 next season anyway. From the news the other day, it sounds like they're making some pretty significant casting changes next season.

hyperb0le
Mac Enthusiast
May 26, 2004, 01:10 PM

Did anyone else think it was kind of funny/ironic that to disarm the virus container, Jack had to disARM Chase? hehe...

Anyway, I really liked this season. It could have used a few more plot twists towards the end, but at least they stuck to one topic this time. It kind of blew it for me last season when we had Jack find/semi-stop a nuke and prevent nuclear war all in 24 hours. This season was a bit more believable since they spent the entire time worried about the virus. There were some issues with transportation (it took Jack less than an hour to get to Mexico), but I guess that's understandable. How exciting would the show be if we had to spend 3 or 4 episodes with Jack sitting on his ass in a plane. Not too exciting...

C.J. Moof
Mac Elite
May 26, 2004, 01:33 PM

Here's something I've wondered- do you recall how S2 ended? It was with some unknown gloved person shaking Palmer's hand, and he promptly collapses. This year we occasionally see that his hand is scarred.

Was that just a bit of bioagent foreshadowing, or did I miss some bigger point to that all being in the storyline? Yeah, it made a cliffhanger for S2, but we never got the story of what happened there.

(BTW, there's really about 16.8 hours of actual show in there by my math. When I used EyeTV to record them and edited out the commercials, it was typically 42 minutes of show. *24/60=16.8 hrs. Then take out another chunk for each "previously on 24....")

capuchin
Mac Enthusiast
May 26, 2004, 01:51 PM

Originally posted by hyperb0le:
Did anyone else think it was kind of funny/ironic that to disarm the virus container, Jack had to disARM Chase? hehe...
I got more of a kick out of the fact he'd been telling Jack he wanted out of field ops due to his fear of becoming "detached". Well, he was right; he did become detached after all...
All opinions are entirely those of my employer. It's not my fault.

vmpaul  (op)
Professional Poster
May 26, 2004, 02:11 PM

Originally posted by Monique:
I do not understand why you say it takes you some effort to watch a tv show it is not like you are discovering a vaccine of some sort or chopping woods and I loved it when Jack chopped off Chase arm it was kind of cool and I am glad that the President is not coming back if there was a weak link in that show it was that character. I surely will watch next year and it cannot be like a movie over in 2 hours there is going to be some dull moments in a movie that last 22 hours.
Here's why I was disappointed in this season's 24.

Years ago I stopped watching any police, lawyer or medical dramas because they're all the same. It's all the same formula. You've seen one, you've seen them all. They are just too predictable. I need something that doesn't just use stereotypes. (In that vein, I have no idea how my Mom can watch Matlock and Murder She Wrote over and over again. It's the SAME show.)

We first turned into 24 in the beginning of season 2 when Jack was out of the loop after losing his wife. I remember when I got hooked. It was when they talked Jack into coming back to infiltrate some gang who might have a lead on the terrorists in LA. Jack says he needs to talk to a suspect who's in custody but his bosses are reluctant because he's a key witness and they want Jack to be careful with him. In the interrogation room, Jack asks him one question, pulls out his automatic, shoots the guy in the chest, turns to somebody in the room and says, "Somebody get me a hacksaw." I don't need to explain what happened. Now, that was unpredictable. We stopped watching and taped the rest of season 2 and rented the DVD's of season 1 so we could catch up with the story.

Last night's season-ender was too predictable. Like I said, they didn't answer any of the open questions (like CJ mentioned) and fell back on your standard police drama formulas. I just don't want to waste my time on something I've seen a million times. I may still watch it but more than likely we'll wait to hear if it's any good and then rent the DVD's.

Angus_D
Addicted to MacNN
May 26, 2004, 02:14 PM

Originally posted by vmpaul:
I was really disappointed. It wasn't that different than any normal police show. Car chase, check. Baddy gets killed, check. Tearful I'm-going-to-jail-Honey-don't-wait-for-me speech, check. Dramatic nail-biting cut-the-wire scene, check.
You missed the obligatory "Thank you Jack" "Thank you Mr President" telephone conversation and teary-eyed "I love you Kim" "I love you too Dad" moment with pained expression.

Too stupid and crappy I'm afraid. I won't be watching S4.

hyperb0le
Mac Enthusiast
May 26, 2004, 02:56 PM

Originally posted by C.J. Moof:
Here's something I've wondered- do you recall how S2 ended? It was with some unknown gloved person shaking Palmer's hand, and he promptly collapses. This year we occasionally see that his hand is scarred.

Was that just a bit of bioagent foreshadowing, or did I miss some bigger point to that all being in the storyline? Yeah, it made a cliffhanger for S2, but we never got the story of what happened there.
That "unknown person" was Mandy from the first season. She was involved in the assassination attempt in season 1, and the attempted assassination of the pres in season 2 was there to illustrate that the events of the second season were all connected to season 1.

In case anyone forgot, after the attempt to start a nuclear war was foiled, a man on a yacht (maybe Max from season 1?) called Mandy and told her to begin Plan B. Then she tried to assassinate Palmer.

One thing I would have liked in season 3 was more tie-ins with past seasons. They brought Nina and Sherry back, but we already knew what to expect from them. I would have liked to see some connection to Marie Warner.

starman
Clinically Insane
May 26, 2004, 03:19 PM

Originally posted by Angus_D:
You missed the obligatory "Thank you Jack" "Thank you Mr President" telephone conversation and teary-eyed "I love you Kim" "I love you too Dad" moment with pained expression.

Too stupid and crappy I'm afraid. I won't be watching S4.
Oh, and the typical "I have to hack my partner's hand off to save the city". Every cop show has that .

Mike

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

flagstone
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 26, 2004, 04:48 PM

Someone on another forum pointed out that this is the second of Kim's boyfriends to lose a limb on the show

C.J. Moof
Mac Elite
May 26, 2004, 04:51 PM

That "unknown person" was Mandy from the first season. She was involved in the assassination attempt in season 1, and the attempted assassination of the pres in season 2 was there to illustrate that the events of the second season were all connected to season 1.
You sure that was Mandy? I remember watching that last scene a few times and finally deciding it was a gal who looked a lot like Mandy, but wasn't. But then, my TV's Fox reception could do a lot better.....

Angus_D
Addicted to MacNN
May 26, 2004, 05:27 PM

Originally posted by starman:
Oh, and the typical "I have to hack my partner's hand off to save the city". Every cop show has that .
Yeah, like that really made up for the the rest of it.

starman
Clinically Insane
May 26, 2004, 05:40 PM

You sure that was Mandy? I remember watching that last scene a few times and finally deciding it was a gal who looked a lot like Mandy, but wasn't. But then, my TV's Fox reception could do a lot better.....
http://www.tvtome.com/tvtome/servlet...personid-56581

Mia Kirshner
24 - Mandy [uncredited] - Day 2: 7:00 A.M.-8:00 A.M. (2003)

starman
Clinically Insane
May 26, 2004, 05:41 PM

Originally posted by Angus_D:
Yeah, like that really made up for the the rest of it.
So they do something different and you still roll your eyes.

I have an idea - watch your old videotapes of Cop Rock.

Mike

stevesnj
Mac Elite
May 26, 2004, 06:04 PM

Instead of chopping off Chases hand why didn't he just stick the thing in the fishtank that was in the room...I was screaming at the TV like an idiot 'don't chop his hand off, stick the virus in the fishtank'
MacBook Pro 15" i7 ~ Snow Leopard ~ iPhone 4 - 16Gb

vmpaul  (op)
Professional Poster
May 26, 2004, 06:07 PM

Originally posted by stevesnj:
Instead of chopping off Chases hand why didn't he just stick the thing in the fishtank that was in the room...I was screaming at the TV like an idiot 'don't chop his hand off, stick the virus in the fishtank'
Me too.

vmpaul  (op)
Professional Poster
May 26, 2004, 06:08 PM

Originally posted by flagstone:
Someone on another forum pointed out that this is the second of Kim's boyfriends to lose a limb on the show
That's true. I didn't even realize that. LOL

itai195
Addicted to MacNN
May 26, 2004, 06:10 PM

... but... the fish. Those poor... fish...

BTW, might that have electrocuted Chase?

rezzi
May 26, 2004, 07:29 PM

Think I understand why Jack had that cry at the end. If any civilian had to go through anything like that in the short space of 24 hours...... Me, I cried with relief the season finally ended. If they announce a season 4 I'll probably cry again.

stevesnj
Mac Elite
May 26, 2004, 08:48 PM

Originally posted by rezzi:
Think I understand why Jack had that cry at the end. If any civilian had to go through anything like that in the short space of 24 hours...... Me, I cried with relief the season finally ended. If they announce a season 4 I'll probably cry again.
Yeah let's see he killed his boss, almost lost his daughter, and chopped off some guys hand in 24 hours...hmm I think I would break down too

C.J. Moof
Mac Elite
May 26, 2004, 09:38 PM

Didn't ya ever fart in the bath? Did the water contain that gas?

If we figure this operated the same way as the one that went off in Guyel's face, I don't think the fishtank would have contained it. Besides, then Chase would have had his arm stuck in a toxic fishtank with 11 minutes of the season left to resolve it.

stevesnj
Mac Elite
May 26, 2004, 10:19 PM

Didn't ya ever fart in the bath? Did the water contain that gas?

If we figure this operated the same way as the one that went off in Guyel's face, I don't think the fishtank would have contained it. Besides, then Chase would have had his arm stuck in a toxic fishtank with 11 minutes of the season left to resolve it.
But it is a powder not a gas and he could just of kept his hand above the water since the virus was below his wrist his hand would of stayed out of the water...ahhh the possibilities

I need some sleep

Montezuma58
Senior User
May 28, 2004, 09:00 AM

Fox has picked the show up for another season.

rezzi
May 28, 2004, 11:31 AM

Oooh-hooo....*sob* Call it anything but 24. How about 72?

nforcer
Mac Elite
May 28, 2004, 02:52 PM

Think I understand why Jack had that cry at the end.
I thought he was going to shoot up at the end. That would have been a more sinister ending. But it's good it turned out the way it did.

nforcer
Mac Elite
May 28, 2004, 03:16 PM

My thoughts on S3:

After Nina died, things pretty much sucked aside from a couple of good episodes here and there. They played it safe, too often, and did some absolutely stupid things. Palmer's doctor was a complete waste of time. Saunders was a weak villain, and wasn't nearly as interesting as the crazy mexican duo. Palmer's election involvement was completely uncentral to the current situation, and a waste of time. Bringing back Sherry was dumb and not believable. Palmer's dumb lines "we have the truth on our side" made things worse (Palmer is the weakest President ever). Chloe having Chase's baby at work was dumb. Chloe tattling on Adam was dumb. In fact, all the internal CTU politics and bickering is completely stupid and needs to go. S3 was on track to be stronger than S2 (but not stronger than S1) until they made things stupid. Now it's just the weakest of the bunch.

The best part is they don't have to drag things into next season. They don't have to try to force Nina or Sherry into some unreasonable situation (they should have killed them off in s2). Hopefully they will minimize the Palmer involvement to nothing as well, since he doesn't really have a use anymore (and hasn't since S1). If they will stop writing stupid, time-wasting, uncentral-to-the-main-plot things into the scripts, and take out all the stops and cliche things, this show could be the same kick ass one I liked so much after S1.

Forum Links
Forum Rules