Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > So ABC aired Saving Private Ryan last night....

So ABC aired Saving Private Ryan last night....
macroy
Mac Elite
Nov 12, 2004, 09:32 AM

In its original unedited, uncut form. And it has done that for the last three years I'm told. Its a good movie, and I think its a good showing for Veterans day. But a local radio station had some issues with it this morning - and I have to agree...

37 f-bombs were laid out last night on prime time TV. But the FCC probably won't do anything about it. Yet - the local radio station was fined twice for using the same prohibited language. Doesn't seem fair does it?

This has nothing to do with free speech or any of those issues.. it just a simple "selective enforcement" issue...

Thoughts?

badidea
Professional Poster
Nov 12, 2004, 10:05 AM

37 f-bombs?

Randman
Posting Junkie
Nov 12, 2004, 10:08 AM

Context. And with the correct parental alerts, it shouldn't be a problem.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

davidflas
Mac Elite
Nov 12, 2004, 10:09 AM

Originally posted by badidea:
37 f-bombs?

you know..... fsck!! The f-word.... etc...
2.7Ghz 15" Mid 2012 MBP 16GB RAM 7.2k 750GB HD anti-glare display|64GB iPad4 ATT LTE|

Daracle
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 12, 2004, 10:20 AM

Originally posted by Randman:
I totally agree....
Somehow I dont think it was in the same context as what they were using it on the radio.
Who reads this???

UNTeMac
Mac Elite
Nov 12, 2004, 10:45 AM

Why is it we're more worried about the f*cking f-word than we are about the intense violence in that movie? I'd be far more concerned about the effects of the latter on any children who might've been watching than I would be about one over-hyped word.
( Last edited by UNTeMac; Nov 12, 2004 at 11:22 AM. )
"This show is filmed before a live studio audience as soon as someone removes that dead guy!" - Stephen Colbert

demograph68
Professional Poster
Nov 12, 2004, 10:53 AM

Disgruntled Head of C-3PO
Professional Poster
Nov 12, 2004, 10:54 AM

"Curse my metal body, I wasn't fast enough!"

badidea
Professional Poster
Nov 12, 2004, 11:04 AM

Originally posted by davidflas:
you know..... fsck!! The f-word.... etc...
Oh, I see, that's why I didn't get it!
There is no problem saying this on german TV - that's why Enimen laid about 3078 f-bombs last time he was in a german TV show (in about 10 minutes)!

brapper
Professional Poster
Nov 12, 2004, 11:07 AM

i love me a good swearing context.

The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 12, 2004, 11:11 AM

Did World War 2 soldiers even know the word fsck when they were in combat? Isn't fsck a modern word?

AB^2=BCxAC
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 12, 2004, 11:18 AM

Originally posted by The Godfather:
Did World War 2 soldiers even know the word fsck when they were in combat? Isn't fsck a modern word?
Nope, it's been a class act for centuries. There are books on the subject's history, seeing as people luv-it-to-deth.
"I stand accused, just like you, for being born without a silver spoon." Richard Ashcroft

The Mick
Senior User
Nov 12, 2004, 11:18 AM

Originally posted by UNTiMac:
Why is it we're more worried about the f*cking f-word than we are about the intense violence in that movie? I'd be far more concerned about the effects of the latter on any children who might've been watching that I would about one over-hyped word.

I'm not going to call an ambulance this time because then you won't learn anything.

cold_reality
Forum Regular
Nov 12, 2004, 11:41 AM

Originally posted by macroy:

Thoughts?
They did it fo the veterans?
Doesn't make much sense, I know, but we live in a war crazy society.
That's why Tom hanks can say f*ck as many times as he wants and as long as he is pretendin to be a WWII soldier and as long as its done on Vet Day its Okay.

Yet Janet can't get away with a lil flashin at the Super Bowl, and radio stations get the smack down on em. I guess if she had been in fatigues and the station guy said he was vet, it woulda been ok.

...completely against political racism!

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 12, 2004, 12:00 PM

I congratulate ABC for having the courage to air "Saving Private Ryan."

"Never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense." Winston Churchill

gumby5647
Professional Poster
Nov 12, 2004, 12:09 PM

F - U - C - K

Fornication Under Constent of King
AIM: bmichel5581
MacBook 2.2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
4GB RAM
160GB

lothar56
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 12, 2004, 12:09 PM

Originally posted by AB^2=BCxAC:
Nope, it's been a class act for centuries. There are books on the subject's history, seeing as people luv-it-to-deth.
http://www.ebaumsworld.com/fwordflash.html

there ya go

ambush
Banned
Nov 12, 2004, 12:18 PM

A brilliant war movie.

Tom Hanks roxx

BoomStick
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 12, 2004, 12:31 PM

They aired it here last night.

Great movie. I have it on video along with the Band of Brothers series and Schindler's List.

I also have a Springfield 1903-A4 scout rifle like the sniper had and an M-1 Garand.

Powaqqatsi
Mac Elite
Nov 12, 2004, 12:44 PM

Great movie

But whining about the word **** is just dumb. Censorship is any form is pointless and should not be done. People who invest their time in censoring movies and other media should invest their time in more usefull tasks. It's not like it "protects" your children, they know the word anyway. I always laugh when I here music where they erase the "fukc" from the song so you end up with a gap for a fraction of a second. Doing this makes it waaay more obvious that the word is indeed there. If you listen to uncensored music you don't even notice it. Well, I don't anyway.

macroy  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 12, 2004, 12:57 PM

Originally posted by Randman:
that was discussed a bit too... But I can't imagine the FCC standing by if that same DJ did it again but this time with an audio disclaimer prior to his show.

Supposedly, ABC did contact FCC regarding the showing - and they said they can only review situations AFTER it occurs. I don't see that as a "well, if you put a disclaimer, you'll be fine".

As for the graphic violence vs the language - I'm not putting one over the other... It was just the example that was used on the radio. Again, its the issue of them not applying their "regulations" across the board. And not the actual content.

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 12, 2004, 01:13 PM

The FCC gave them the OK. I believe ABC also was quoted in saying "F*ck those who complain about it."

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 12, 2004, 01:15 PM

**** (0)

there, come and get me FCC! this is bull***t the whole "offensive" language. i can understand talking about things that are inappropriate is no good, but to ban a word on its usage alone is well, ****ing Bull***t.
( Last edited by Demonhood; Nov 13, 2004 at 11:59 PM. )

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Nov 12, 2004, 01:28 PM

I totally agree with the "context" post from Randman.

If you don't see the difference... you are kidding yourself.

I understand that the line can be blurred at times... but comparing a technically accurate period piece film of WWII vs. a "shock jock" with reference to appropriate language is black and white in my book.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Nov 12, 2004, 03:21 PM

Originally posted by gumby5647:
F - U - C - K
Fornication Under Constent of King
What ?

-t

Powaqqatsi
Mac Elite
Nov 12, 2004, 03:35 PM

Originally posted by turtle777:
What ?

-t
Prima nocte.

Xeo
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 12, 2004, 03:42 PM

I don't think I've ever heard that word on network tv before. Weird. I think I'd be set aback a bit. Although with a movie like that, it's not the language I'd worry about if it came down to censoring.

MrForgetable
Mac Elite
Nov 12, 2004, 04:17 PM

An intense movie, no doubt.
iamwhor3hay

macroy  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 12, 2004, 04:31 PM

Originally posted by mitchell_pgh:

I understand that the line can be blurred at times... but comparing a technically accurate period piece film of WWII vs. a "shock jock" with reference to appropriate language is black and white in my book.
Please explain? In my book neither is 'wrong' (you can argue that the DJ's remarks were part of his show). So you either let both go, or smack both with a fine.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Nov 12, 2004, 04:35 PM

Originally posted by Powaqqatsi:
Prima nocte.
I know what that is, but what's that have to do with F.U.C.K ?

-t

Patrick
Mac Elite
Nov 12, 2004, 09:51 PM

Originally posted by turtle777:
I know what that is, but what's that have to do with F.U.C.K ?

-t
It doesn't. There's apparently a hoax going around that the word "fuck" originated as an acronym, either "Fornication Under Consent of the King" or "For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge." The word is supposedly Germanic in origin, having various cognates in northern European languages, such as "fokken" in Dutch, "focka" in Swedish, and "fukka" in Norwegian.

For Unlawful Carnal Knowlege was a pretty decent Van Halen album, though.

VoicesInMyHead
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 12, 2004, 10:00 PM

So, you can show guys with their guts hanging out, or dismemberment by bombs, all on prime time....

But you can't say bad words or the slightest bit of nudity.

Man, what's wrong with the US?????

JHromadka
Mac Elite
Nov 13, 2004, 11:00 PM

Does anyone remember when NBC aired Schindler's List uncut and uncensored? There was plenty of nudity in that movie and nothing came of it.

Movies like these should be made available to American viewers uncensored.

nredman
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 13, 2004, 11:06 PM

anyone who likes Saving Private Ryan and hasn't seen Band of Brothers needs to rent them today. SPR was on ABC here too, didn't watch it - have it on dvd.

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniel's."

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Nov 13, 2004, 11:36 PM

Originally posted by macroy:
Please explain? In my book neither is 'wrong' (you can argue that the DJ's remarks were part of his show). So you either let both go, or smack both with a fine.
They are different.

Saving Private Ryan was a film... arguably a piece of art. It was a technically accurate depiction of the events of D Day. Given somewhat "special permission" from the FCC to be aired without being edited. There were numerous warnings about the content and the language. In fact I believe they started EVERY commercial break with the warning.

DJs shouldn't be given that privilege. I would argue that if there was something with a similar context... perhaps a artistic rendition of something that used foul language, it should be permitted... but giving someone like stern free reign of OUR airwaves is ridiculous.

I can't wait to get Stern off the air. I really liked him when I was in college, but over the past few years he has fizzled (then again, perhaps I've grown up a bit). His "Me against the Man" BS is so worn out. He has great parts still... but I end up tuning out when they start in with some of their over the top vulgar stuff. I think his Sirius show is going to fail in less then two years. When he doesn't have "line" not to cross... I think he is going to lose his rebel moniker.

rezzi
Nov 14, 2004, 01:33 AM

Originally posted by Xeo:
I don't think I've ever heard that word on network tv before. Weird. I think I'd be set aback a bit. Although with a movie like that, it's not the language I'd worry about if it came down to censoring.
Edit: Axel Rose of Guns N'Roses (Grammys 1991(?). One of the reasons they started using the delayed audio thingy. I was just sitting there telling my friend what a knucklehead that guy is, and--bam! Dropped the f-word twice in 9 seconds. CBS 2, everybody else, 0.
( Last edited by rezzi; Nov 14, 2004 at 01:54 AM. )

Zimphire
Baninated
Nov 14, 2004, 07:05 AM

Originally posted by rezzi:
Edit: Axel Rose of Guns N'Roses (Grammys 1991(?). One of the reasons they started using the delayed audio thingy. I was just sitting there telling my friend what a knucklehead that guy is, and--bam! Dropped the f-word twice in 9 seconds. CBS 2, everybody else, 0.
That wasn't Axl. He was too cool to be there. Slash was the potty mouth.

I remembered that.

He kept doing it on purpose too, drunk as all get out.

First time I heard **** being said on prime time TV.

CD Hanks
Mac Elite
Nov 14, 2004, 07:18 AM

Originally posted by ambush:
Tom Hanks roxx
Good actor yes, but a serious prick.
<some witty quote that identifies my originality as a person except for the fact everyone else does the same thing>

BasketofPuppies
Professional Poster
Nov 14, 2004, 07:21 AM

Originally posted by VoicesInMyHead:
So, you can show guys with their guts hanging out, or dismemberment by bombs, all on prime time....
Since when?
inscrutable impenetrable impregnable inconceivable

BasketofPuppies
Professional Poster
Nov 14, 2004, 07:24 AM

Originally posted by rezzi:
Axel Rose of Guns N'Roses (Grammys 1991(?).
American Music Awards. 1990, I believe. (Does anyone care about, let alone watch, the American Music Awards?)

And Axl is not, nor has he ever been, cool. Slash is the cool one.

BasketofPuppies
Professional Poster
Nov 14, 2004, 07:40 AM

Anyway, the FCC has been selectively going after indecency ever since the Super Bowl incident early this year.

Local television and radio stations for the moment fear the FCC's selective indecency fines, but it will pass when they're finally sure that it's being done in such a way so as not to actually change anything.

ABC's affiliates had nothing to worry about. The FCC doesn't have the guts to go after something it has twice before ruled not indecent, especially since the movie was introduced by Senator John McCain this time.

Yes, I know the FCC went after Bono's F-bomb at last year's American Music Awards despite previously ruling it not indecent, but that fits under the FCC's don't do that again when it knew in advance it wasn't going to happen again policy.

Forum Links
Forum Rules