Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Any powerbook revisions coming anytime soon?

Any powerbook revisions coming anytime soon?
Darksider
Forum Regular
Apr 20, 2005, 08:28 AM

I'm thinking of getting the high end 15" after Tiger is released but I'm wondering if there will be any revisions coming soon. I got burned when I got my 12" only to find out they put out a revision a few months after.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Apr 20, 2005, 08:31 AM

No reports of it anywhere, considering they just got a revision.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Apr 20, 2005, 08:37 AM

There will ALWAYS be a next model, and it will ALWAYS be within a "few months" later.

Normal product cycle is ca. 9 months, +/-.

Not buying because you're afraid of a new model a few MONTHS later means that you will never, ever buy a computer (especially considering that new models usually aren't fully available until several weeks after introduction due to demand/supply constraints).

Synopsis:
If it does what you need it for at a price you're prepared to pay, then it will not miraculously stop doing that once new models come out, nor will it suddenly not have been worth what you paid for it at the time.
-spheric*

wilsonng
Senior User
Apr 22, 2005, 09:56 PM

http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/

Some folks will never be satisfied. As soon as the "next" release comes out, you'll be on the lookout for the next, next release. it is a vicious cycle that will never end.

If you need to get s#!t down now, get the best computer you can afford NOW! Otherwise, we'll just be sitting on our hands always waiting for the next big thing.

I've been happy with my 12" PB 867 Mhz. It still works like a champ!

Yeah, I'd love to sit behind the wheels of the newest Porsche but if my 20 year Corvette is still a head-turner, I'm not giving her up!

David Hagan
Forum Regular
Apr 22, 2005, 10:51 PM

The only possibility I see in the short term is an added model; a 1900x1200 display for the 17-inch PowerBook. But please don't hold your breath...

osxisfun
Apr 22, 2005, 11:06 PM

and that would have made sense over NAB.... so i now think apple is saving it for the next big update (g5 or dual g4 or whatever the heck apple is going to move forward with next)

long story short. no updates till end of sept at least.

you gotta remember too these are selling like hot cakes. more than apple expected. the PBs are definatly hitting their sweet spot for pricing and what you get for it...

bimmerphile
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 22, 2005, 11:56 PM

81 days into a ~180 day product cycle, IIRC.

Don't expect updates soon.
-Kris Olson | 12" PBG4 1.5GHz

Forum Links
Forum Rules