Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Can I get Tiger Upgrade at an apple store?

Can I get Tiger Upgrade at an apple store?
Darksider
Forum Regular
Apr 27, 2005, 10:52 AM

I have a shiny new 15" pb coming tomorrow and was wondering if that Tiger upgrade program is available at stores?

cowboybop
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 27, 2005, 10:58 AM

Darksider,

I purchased my powerbook about 2 weeks before Panther was released, and Apple sent the disk directly to me. My inclination is that you will have to do the same if you 'book does not come with Tiger pre-installed. The upgrade disk were not the full version of the OS, and my local Apple store, for whatever reason, does not stock the upgrade disk by themselves.

Good luck!

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 27, 2005, 10:59 AM

I would think that your Powerbook will ship with Tiger. But if not, I doubt you'll be able to get a Tiger upgrade at the store. I think it's mail-in only.

Chris

Darksider  (op)
Forum Regular
Apr 27, 2005, 11:05 AM

Thanks for the info! I ordered my powerbook from mac connection. I didn't want to deal with the $200 in taxes.

amazing
Professional Poster
Apr 27, 2005, 11:08 AM

Hey--if it doesn't already come with Tiger, which it should, it's definitely worth taking the invoice and even the unopened box to the store. They should give it to you for free that way. If the salespeople won't give it to you, ask to talk to the manager.

tekno_geek911
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 27, 2005, 10:20 PM

My friend just got a new 15" PowerBook and was wondering the same thing....He went into the Apple Store and they told him he can upgrade for $10 and would only need a printed copy of his invoice.
::12" PowerBook G4 | 1.33GHz | 1.25GB | 60GB | APX | OS X 10.4.1::
::30GB iPod Photo::

asodamiac
Senior User
Apr 27, 2005, 11:31 PM

Originally Posted by tekno_geek911
My friend just got a new 15" PowerBook and was wondering the same thing....He went into the Apple Store and they told him he can upgrade for $10 and would only need a printed copy of his invoice.
so is the store giving him the full copy or the upgraded copy? because if i could get the full copy for 10.. i would just take my invoice to the apple store as well..
15" Powerbook G4 | 1.67, 1.5gb, 128VRAM, SD
20" iMac | 2.66, 2gb, HD 2600
Dell 2408WFP

mrchin
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 28, 2005, 12:45 AM

You're likely not going to be able to get it in an Apple Store. They won't have the upgrade discs as those only come in their new systems that were at the factory before a bundled DVD restore disc. The stores are unlikely to have the discs open to give. Get ready to fill out the up-to-date form and mail it in or process your order online at Apple.
Dual 2.0 G5/2.5GB/ATI 9800 Pro | MacBook Pro 2.16 Gore Duo/2GB/ATI X1600

asodamiac
Senior User
Apr 28, 2005, 01:19 AM

well i already paid for the upgrade.. but apple is still processing the order. i wish it would come by friday though.. im waiting for dashboard more than anything else.. ahhahaha
Dell 2408WFP

finboy
Apr 28, 2005, 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by amazing
Hey--if it doesn't already come with Tiger, which it should, it's definitely worth taking the invoice and even the unopened box to the store. They should give it to you for free that way. If the salespeople won't give it to you, ask to talk to the manager.

It will probably come with a "retailer drop-in pack" that contains Tiger (full retail) and leave it to you to install. That's how my G3 iBook 900 came, b/c I ordered it right after Panther was announced. As far as I can tell, the Panther in the drop in pack is the same as Panther retail.

The drop in pack is like the retail version in a plastic bag. should come with the machine.

asodamiac
Senior User
Apr 28, 2005, 05:22 PM

hmm.. they didnt drop in a copy of tiger with my powerbook. but i ordered a day after tiger was announced, so thats probably why.

my tiger still hasnt shipped yet. do they ship out the tiger updates later than the full version? i wish i could have it by tomorrow.
Dell 2408WFP

Forum Links
Forum Rules