Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > How do I properly turn off my external burner without locking up my MBP?

How do I properly turn off my external burner without locking up my MBP?
Darksider
Forum Regular
Jun 28, 2007, 08:27 PM

After getting fed up with the crappy peformance of my super drive not to mention scratching my discs. I decided to pull one of my 16x DVD drives out of my PC (which collecting dust) and get a USB2 enclosure for it. It runs great but only problem is when I turn off my external burner, my Macbook Pro bugs out and freezes. Then I have to reboot my MBP. Is there a proper way to turn off my external burner without freaking my MBP out?

ibook_steve
Jun 28, 2007, 10:03 PM

If there's no disk in the drive, either simply unplugging the USB or turning off the power should not have any affect on your MBP. Can you define the freeze? Are we talking complete lockup (cursor won't move) or just spinning wheel of death?

Steve

Darksider  (op)
Forum Regular
Jun 28, 2007, 10:17 PM

It's a complete lock up (cursor won't move).

amazing
Professional Poster
Jun 28, 2007, 10:22 PM

Along with ibook_steve, I'm wondering if you've ejected the disk?

If the drive is empty and the MBP still freezes, then it's probably the USB2 case--what brand is it, have you checked to see if there's upgraded firmware, etc? Have you tried a different USB cable? What brand burner did you pull out of the PC?

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 28, 2007, 11:05 PM

I have a DVD-RW in a firewire case and I can attach and yank the drive (as long as the disc has been ejected) without any lockups at all. Sounds like it may be a case/chipset problem.

What brand case are you using? What kind of IDE-to-USB chipset is it using?

Forum Links
Forum Rules