Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Build of pdftk 1.4.1 for Intel Macs?

Build of pdftk 1.4.1 for Intel Macs?
headbirth
Mac Elite
May 18, 2008, 08:15 AM

Hi,

I'm wondering if anyone has run across a Binary of PDFtk 1.4.1 for Intel Macs.

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
May 18, 2008, 09:28 AM

MacPorts has it.

rehoot
Dedicated MacNNer
May 18, 2008, 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by headbirth View Post
Hi,

I'm wondering if anyone has run across a Binary of PDFtk 1.4.1 for Intel Macs.
I built one for 10.5 Intel Mac last night via MacPorts, but it took a long time. If you have trouble with MacPorts, I could email it or upload it somewhere (if you have a place where I could upload it). I also have an ancient version for 10.3 PowerPC, but it works--I use it a lot.
Mac Pro Quad: 2.66GHz; 4 GB Ram; 4x500GB drives; Radeon X1900, 23" Cinema Screen, APC UPS
PowerBook G4: 1.33GHz; 768MB Ram; 60GB drive

headbirth  (op)
Mac Elite
May 20, 2008, 04:21 PM

If you have a build that will run on Tiger I would love a copy. How large is the binary?

rehoot
Dedicated MacNNer
May 20, 2008, 11:01 PM

Originally Posted by headbirth View Post
If you have a build that will run on Tiger I would love a copy. How large is the binary?
Ok, I sent a private message to you with my email. I can send the version that I compiled on 10.3, and it also works on 10.4 and 10.5. I don't know the version number of pdftk that I compiled on 10.3, but I use it a lot. I'll send an additional file that pdftk said that it needed when I copied it to 10.5:
/usr/local/gcj/lib/libgcj.5.dylib

Also, the version of pdftk that I compiled on 10.5 was working, but gave me a "segmentation fault" on a task, but when I copied the 10.3 version to the 10.5 computer, the 10.3 version worked fine. I deleted the 10.5 version and I'll try compiling it again.
Mac Pro Quad: 2.66GHz; 4 GB Ram; 4x500GB drives; Radeon X1900, 23" Cinema Screen, APC UPS

upandbeyond
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 20, 2008, 09:52 PM

I compiled it on 10.5.5 and it segmentation faults when dealing with all but the simplest PDF files. Can someone please send me the 10.3 version? I really would like to get it to work.

rehoot
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 21, 2008, 12:51 AM

Originally Posted by upandbeyond View Post
I compiled it on 10.5.5 and it segmentation faults when dealing with all but the simplest PDF files. Can someone please send me the 10.3 version? I really would like to get it to work.
Note: I modified this post to change the name of the library. I think this needs the old libgcj version 5 instead of version 8 that I had posted here an hour ago.

I replied to your email. Here is a short version...

I posted the files to a free uploading site -- I'm guessing that the files will disappear at some time in the future.

1) I tarred the pdftk program that I compiled under 10.3 and renamed to pdftkOLD and uploaded it here:

http://www.mediafire.com/?zzmonmmu5eh

2) This also needs a library file called

which I have as a soft link that points to

/usr/local/gcj/lib/libgcj.5.0.0.dylib

I uploaded a tarred and zipped version of the second file to:

http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=d...db6fb9a8902bda

3) md5 values:
MD5 (pdftkOLD) = eed361356e9b00d5b5e8effa88329bf5
MD5 (libgcj.5.0.0.dylib) = 60d3084c237b6da6fded9d05a7ea4df5

4) optional but recommended: make backup copies of any existing files that you have:
/usr/bin/pdftk
/usr/local/gcj/lib/libgcj.5.0.0.dylib

5) unpack JUST THE PDFTKOLD file first. If the library is missing or of the wrong version, try unpacking the library file that pdftk says that it needs.

6) You can rename or copy the library file, or create a link as follows:

*go to the target directory:
cd /usr/local/gcj/lib

*create a soft link is one is not there (the command goes on one line with a space before the last libgcj.8.dylib):

sudo ln -s /usr/local/gcj/lib/libgcj.5.0.0.dylib libgcj.5.dylib

7) If the links above disappear, let me know and I can upload them again. Note that I had trouble giving newer version of this program to other people because it needed more library files.
( Last edited by rehoot; Oct 21, 2008 at 01:19 AM. Reason: wrong library name)

Forum Links
Forum Rules