Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > NEED HELP: Router/Internet

NEED HELP: Router/Internet
nigelhein
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 24, 2004, 11:36 AM

I am having trouble maintaining a internet connection on a new router setup I have. The router is a Netgear RP614v2. I have a Comcast broadband internet account. I set up the computer and router as directed in the router manual:

ROUTER:
- Get IP dynamically from ISP (DHCP)
- DNS get dynamically
- Use computer MAC address

COMPUTER (G5):
- Use DHCP

If I unplug everything and restart the whole setup it will work fine, but my connection will drop overnight. When it does this is the IP address on the computer reads:

IP: 169.254.237.155
Subnet: 255.255.0.0

I have an Eyehome media server connected, but I don't think that has anything to do with my troubles because it is usually off. I have tried everything to fix this issue and am getting really frustrated. The Netgear manual makes it sound too easy.

Can anyone hlep explain what this may be?

TIA
Nigel
-Nigel

f1000
Professional Poster
Apr 24, 2004, 12:13 PM

I'm not sure if this'll help, but

1. Upgrade your router's firmware.

2. Don't use the computer's MAC address; replace it with the router's original MAC address, which should be on a label somewhere on the router.

3. Give your PowerMac and eyeHome static IP addresses.

By the way, which of the following components must you restart?:

a) Cable modem
b) Router
c) Computer

Do you really have to unplug everything (power, ethernet cables)?

Did you lose your connection when you were using the modem directly from your computer?

Applefreak01
Senior User
Apr 24, 2004, 02:18 PM

Looks like your IP address and subnet are getting messed up somehow on the router. Most routers are like this:

IP: 192.168.0.1 for LAN (Local Area Network) and 64.133.158.75 for WAN (Wide Area Network or Internet) anything on the LAN will have an IP address of 192.168.0.2 to 255
Subnet: 255.255.255.0

Don't use the computer MAC address like f1000 said. You should have your cable company use the MAC address for the router and not your computer.

Once your cable company has the MAC address for the router, make sure DHCP server is active on your router. Set your Mac to use DHCP and everything should work fine. Once your Mac is using DHCP your Mac's IP address should look something like 192.168.0.2.

My guess is that the Use Computer MAC address is resetting somehow causing you to lose connection. But once you don't use computer MAC address and use the MAC address of the routers ethernet then everything should work like it should.
[Riding a circus elephant]
Peter: Look Lois, the two smybols of the Republican Party: an elephant, and a fat white guy who is threatened by change. - Family Guy

f1000
Professional Poster
Apr 24, 2004, 02:32 PM

Originally posted by Applefreak01:
You should have your cable company use the MAC address for the router and not your computer.
Comcast needs to know the MAC address of the cable modem, not the router. My modem and router have unique MAC addresses, and I only need to update Comcast on any changes to the former.

nigelhein  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 24, 2004, 02:45 PM

Thanks f1000,

Usually, I just have to power down the router, then power it back up and everything rights itself.

-Nigel

Originally posted by f1000:
I'm not sure if this'll help, but

1. Upgrade your router's firmware.

2. Don't use the computer's MAC address; replace it with the router's original MAC address, which should be on a label somewhere on the router.

3. Give your PowerMac and eyeHome static IP addresses.

By the way, which of the following components must you restart?:

a) Cable modem
b) Router
c) Computer

Do you really have to unplug everything (power, ethernet cables)?

Did you lose your connection when you were using the modem directly from your computer?
-Nigel

Applefreak01
Senior User
Apr 24, 2004, 05:51 PM

Originally posted by f1000:
Comcast needs to know the MAC address of the cable modem, not the router. My modem and router have unique MAC addresses, and I only need to update Comcast on any changes to the former.
I didn't know Comcast just needed the MAC address of just a cable modem for users with a router. My provider is Charter Communications and they require the MAC address of both router and modem for routers to work. Now I know, thanks.
[Riding a circus elephant]
Peter: Look Lois, the two smybols of the Republican Party: an elephant, and a fat white guy who is threatened by change. - Family Guy

Forum Links
Forum Rules