Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > New roof today

New roof today
Thorzdad
Apr 6, 2019, 02:55 PM

We had wind and hail damage to our roof last month, and the crew was out today to go to work on it. I am amazed they can completely strip to the decking and re-do a roof in about five hours. Including a lunch break. The roof only took about 17 squares, but still.

ghporter
Administrator
Apr 6, 2019, 09:31 PM

Our replacement roof, a couple of years ago, was done in a day. We have a one story house with just over 1800 square feet of floor space. Here in San Antonio, redoing a roof is basically down to a science. Between wind and hail, roofing is a major industry here. ;D

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Thorzdad  (op)
Apr 7, 2019, 06:14 AM

Same here. Wind and hail, too. When we get bad weather, you can expect a stream of "contractors" ringing your doorbell, looking for business. This was actually the first time, in all our years of owning various homes, that we ever had roof damage, and we've gone through some pretty horrific weather. This is also, by far, the newest home we ever owned, so make of that what you will.

andi*pandi
Apr 7, 2019, 10:06 AM

our roof was done in a day too, about 10 years ago. Now our problem is moss growing on it. I was told I should get rid of that before it destroys the roof... not even sure who would do that.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Apr 7, 2019, 10:30 AM

You can get a Zinc strip installed near the peak of your roof and it’ll help combat moss growth on the roof below it.

ghporter
Administrator
Apr 7, 2019, 10:54 AM

Moss is not a problem here on the edge of the Sonoran desert. We have more problems with stuff collecting in the valleys of roofs.

You see here we don't need much roof pitch to "shed snow," though there are plenty of homes around with highly pitched roofs just for the aesthetics. One aesthetic feature that's pretty common is complex roof shapes with multiple peaks and intersecting slopes. That leads to relatively flat valleys between the peaks, and while they drain rain OK, they collect leaves and other stuff.

We are currently in the midst of the season I call "get a room, oak trees!!!". Oaks shed their leaves in the spring, and in the process "flower" with this sort of thing:

Oaks are so common here, and often so numerous (I have 3 in my yard and a 4th hangs over the fence from my neighbor) that their pollen literally coats everything... Sidewalks, cars, the insides of my sinuses, everything turns yellow from the pollen.

The flowers dry up to look like little brown squiggles. And they collect, along with the leaves. I have a hip-and-valley roof with two prominent valleys on either side of a central gable. One side has LOTS of tree overhanging it, and that valley is pretty full of various oak crud. I had planned to spend part of today on the roof clearing it off...but the thunderstorms currently rolling through our area have changed my mind.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

andi*pandi
Apr 7, 2019, 11:01 AM

If I didn't love our oak trees for shade, I would hate them for their stupid flowers that get in everything. Part of the moss problem is likely due to overhanging oak trees. We have a few more weeks before that though.

Thorzdad  (op)
Apr 17, 2019, 08:08 AM

So, when the roof was being replaced, we had the contractor take down the two! DishTV dishes that were there when we bought the house. It didn't seem right to just toss 'em in a landfill, but now I have two perfectly good dishes (and a big honkin' junction box with a bazillion coax connections) sitting here and I have no idea what to do with them.

I put them up on both Craigslist and Freecycle, but haven't gotten any bites. Dish appears to have a recycling program, but it seems that it only accepts their set-top boxes, and not the dishes.

Any ideas on what to do with the things, or who might be remotely interested in them?

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Apr 17, 2019, 09:04 AM

My roof took several days but my house is a 250 year old cottage. It always throws builders that some of the beams are just trees with branches removed, not straight-cut to size.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

MacNNFamous
Senior User
Apr 8, 2021, 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
our roof was done in a day too, about 10 years ago. Now our problem is moss growing on it. I was told I should get rid of that before it destroys the roof... not even sure who would do that.
They make this juice called "wet and forget", and it basically kills moss/algea/mold, any microorganisms like that. Do not use it if you live near a stream or a body of water.

Anyway, you go up on your roof with a garden sprayer and just spray this down in the morning; if you do it when it's hot out, it sorta offgasses and that stuff can't be good for you. Anyway, try that.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 9, 2021, 08:30 PM

Funny, I’m just planning the roof on this little backyard shed I’m building. Was going to add a skylight but it’s probably too much hassle.
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

MacNNFamous
Senior User
Apr 10, 2021, 02:17 PM

Just use that clear corrugated fiberglass for roofing. Works great.

Bumped out the back of my shed and did this, love it, lets a lot of light in.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 11, 2021, 07:54 AM

I like that idea, but can it be used in place of paper and shingles? Will need to be pretty bug/rodentproof and also withstand rainstorms and snowstorms. I also have a couple decent size overhead trees to contend with (one of which is an apple tree and might drop some bombs) which was making me iffy on the skylight. I would have done it with a steep enough roof pitch but I’ve planned for single slope which isn’t that steep.

Decided to add more narrow, tall windows instead. 15” by 39” fixed show windows. Won’t take up too much wall space, let in decent light and not be an intruder entry point.

MacNNFamous
Senior User
Apr 11, 2021, 12:02 PM

Yup, literally designed to be used instead of plywood/tarpaper/shingles.

Marmont
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 11, 2021, 12:11 PM

Wow, it took them only five hours?! That is really amazing actually.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 11, 2021, 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by MacNNFamous View Post
Yup, literally designed to be used instead of plywood/tarpaper/shingles.
I’m loving the idea of a clear roof, but on second thought I get the feeling it might look a bit odd, particularly for a shed that might be packed full with stuff. I’d be able to look down from the second floor of the house and see what I have hanging up between the rafters? I guess I’d probably have paint the frame underneath white as well, or else you’d be able to see all the framing. For my application of a pretty little garden shed, it feels like it might ruin the feel. Awesome idea if I wasn’t so concerned with aesthetics though.

reader50
Administrator
Apr 11, 2021, 05:07 PM

Clear walls or roof makes it easy for the thieves. Lets them see if it's worth their trouble before they start. This is probably why nothing valuable is stored in green houses.

btw, you'd need good ventilation. Strong greenhouse effect.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Apr 11, 2021, 05:53 PM

And if you plan to spend time in it, the noise of rain on the roof may be a factor.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

andi*pandi
Apr 12, 2021, 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by MacNNFamous View Post
They make this juice called "wet and forget", and it basically kills moss/algea/mold, any microorganisms like that.
Yup, we paid someone last fall to spray something ecologically minded, and most of the moss has died and rolled off the roof. Right now a guy is out there trimming branches from our trees so it won't grow back as easily. (we are of an age where the highest we go on our roof is to put up christmas lights and clean the gutters)

MacNNFamous
Senior User
Apr 12, 2021, 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by reader50 View Post
Clear walls or roof makes it easy for the thieves. Lets them see if it's worth their trouble before they start. This is probably why nothing valuable is stored in green houses.
I take it you've never been to a state where it's legal?

reader50
Administrator
Apr 12, 2021, 12:45 PM

Maybe, but which part? Marijuana or greenhouses?

MacNNFamous
Senior User
Apr 12, 2021, 01:30 PM

Point is there is a lot of money in greenhouses depending on what is going on inside

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 12, 2021, 08:40 PM

Well it’s legal here but I have no interest in growing for personal or resale use. But I will have a few thousand dollars of power equipment and probably double that in whatever bicycles I can stuff in a tiny shed, so keeping thieves away will be a priority. Probably best to stay with a traditional roof.

Forum Links
Forum Rules