Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > March 2nd Apple Event Thread (Sponsored by Roundtable Pizza)

March 2nd Apple Event Thread (Sponsored by Roundtable Pizza) (Page 2)
The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Mar 2, 2011, 02:26 PM

Steve must think he looks healthier every time he makes his products thinner.

Thorzdad
Mar 2, 2011, 02:26 PM

Getting closer to the "single pane of glass" ideal. Crazy stuff.

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 2, 2011, 02:27 PM

I still want one, but won't ever pay those prices.

next!

iPhone 5.... July?
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Mar 2, 2011, 02:29 PM

The 3G premium needs to go down some.

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 2, 2011, 02:31 PM

I think the WifI as well, imnsho

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Mar 2, 2011, 02:34 PM

Really? It's already very low price, and Apple sells every single one they make. Lowering the price makes no sense at all.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Mar 2, 2011, 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by Brien View Post
Ugh. Still a $130 premium on 3G. Why Apple?
Because it's Apple and Apple will always have robust margins on its products. That's a fundamental part of its business model. They're pretty impressed with the pricing, the iPad sells like hotcakes as is and they don't see much competition. Same prices make sense. Of course, given rising commodity prices and dollar weakness, I'm surprised they didn't raise prices!

And separate AT&T/VZW SKUs as well. I'd have predicted less SKUs (one for both carriers, no more Wifi/3G tiers). Meh.
Yeah, that was pretty obvious when the Verizon iPhone came out. If Apple had the ability and desire at this point to do a single multi-carrier device, they would have postponed the Verizon roll-out until the iPhone 5 and it would have been GSM-CDMA combo. They didn't, so I'm not that surprised they have separate iPad models too.

I'm more surprised about the choice of HDMI instead of miniDP.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Mar 2, 2011, 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
I'm more surprised about the choice of HDMI instead of miniDP.
Having a dock connector>MDP>HDMI adapter wouldn't be very elegant at all.

freudling
Banned
Mar 2, 2011, 02:58 PM

Great stuff Apple. I told you guys they'd get the weight down and focus on that. 1.3 lbs. That's a great weight.

Dual cameras, dual core processors, better graphics... how much RAM? Hmmm. Same res.

What I don't like:
-The design. We've all seen this design as a mock up on Blogs for months. Never liked it. It's ugly. I'm sure in person it'll look and feel better, but still. HP Touch-Pad better design. Nice rounded, tapered corners. But heavier 'sigh'.
-iOS. Really Apple? After a year on the market, you still can't get your act together on a more tabletized OS? iOS in its current form is brutal on a tablet. Wasted space, with multi-tasking as an afterthought. Double click the home button to bring up some make-shift dock? iPad is still giant iPod Touch status. Yes, I know, you all hate Android and webOS. But being objective, Android 3.0 and webOS are leaps and bounds better than iOS on a tablet computer. Yes, yes, not as many Apps... the bottom line is they do multi-tasking very well. They're very innovative and scale incredibly well on a tablet. iOS is now antiquated. I really wished Apple would have pushed iOS 5 here. I expect big things from iOS 5, just disappointed they're not rolling it out, cause they're getting flanked by webOS and Android 3.0... as good as the iPad 2 hardware is... the software is still iOS/iPhone. I won't be rushing on this until the software is there.

Right, go ahead and attack me now.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 2, 2011, 03:10 PM

So does that cover also flip around and sit on the back if you want it too? I haven't seen any pics of it that way.

(apple.com has the new iPad up already)
( Last edited by ort888; Mar 2, 2011 at 03:17 PM. )

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

Brien
Professional Poster
Mar 2, 2011, 03:16 PM

Seems like Apple prefers the white iPad (and iPhone 4, before it poofed) in marketing. I wonder how that will translate to actual sales of black vs. white, though.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Mar 2, 2011, 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by freudling View Post
Right, go ahead and attack me now.
Why bother? You're just trolling again.

Well guys, this is a much better looking product. They made it lighter, faster, and managed to make it thinner. I hated the first iPad, but I'll probably end up buying a few of these. I gave our first one to my nephew for school, so at least it isn't collecting dust anymore.

Best part, no stupid bulge in the back! Now if they could only shrink the bezel.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 2, 2011, 03:19 PM

No mobile me. No big iOS info. No surprises.

The new iPad is nice, but not a big leap.

I'm not really disappointed, but I am definitely not pointed.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 2, 2011, 03:30 PM

Now that they have both white and black and AT&T and Verizon versions there are currently EIGHTEEN different iPAd SKUs.

One. Eight.

I also like how all the subtle normal colored smart covers are only available in the more expensive leather.

freudling
Banned
Mar 2, 2011, 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by Shaddim View Post
Why bother? You're just trolling again.

Well guys, this is a much better looking product. They made it lighter, faster, and managed to make it thinner. I hated the first iPad, but I'll probably end up buying a few of these. I gave our first one to my nephew for school, so at least it isn't collecting dust anymore.

Best part, no stupid bulge in the back! Now if they could only shrink the bezel.
"No stupid bulge in the back!"

Wow, I sure am a troll Shaddim.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Mar 2, 2011, 03:41 PM

-The design. We've all seen this design as a mock up on Blogs for months. Never liked it. It's ugly.
So Apple should have redesigned it since it leaked?

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Mar 2, 2011, 04:06 PM

"No stupid bulge in the back!"

Wow, I sure am a troll Shaddim.
Yes, you are, when it comes to tablets, for some reason.

My biggest complaint with the original iPad was that it slid off my lap when I tried to use it, and that was because it had a bulge so big that even Jenna Jameson would be impressed. Combine that with sluggish video performance and it was a dog, IMO. They still need to trim ~1/2" off the bezel, but I can live with it.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

sdilley14
Mac Elite
Mar 2, 2011, 04:09 PM

Large deep dish meatlover's pizza and a little iPad 2 to get my day started right...WINNING!!!
2.3 GHz Intel i5 MacBook Pro
iPhone 4 - 16 GB - Black
8gb iPod Nano

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 2, 2011, 04:26 PM

So several sites are reporting that Apple is selling the old WiFi-16GB iPad for $399 new and $349 refurbished... yet when I go to their links they show up as $429 refurbished?

Does anyone see this better price? I think I might just get the old one for $350.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Mar 2, 2011, 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by ort888 View Post
So several sites are reporting that Apple is selling the old WiFi-16GB iPad for $399 new and $349 refurbished... yet when I go to their links they show up as $429 refurbished?

Does anyone see this better price? I think I might just get the old one for $350.
Yep.

Refurbished iPad with Wi-Fi 16GB - Apple Store (U.S.)
- Thomas Paine

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Mar 2, 2011, 04:36 PM

It comes up correctly in the cart.

Tempting.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 2, 2011, 04:43 PM

It is. I'm sitting here trying to decide between an old one for $350 and the new one. Argh.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 2, 2011, 04:44 PM

I wish I could get an answer on how much RAM the iPad 2 has. The terrible reloading of tabbed web pages on the first iPad is the biggest drawback in my mind. 1 gig of RAM would fix that right up. 512 would probably fix it too, but 1 gig would make me feel better.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Mar 2, 2011, 04:46 PM

I believe ars was saying 512, but they were also incorrectly saying it was the same as in the original iPad.

Edit: Nevermind, that must have been the comments section

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 2, 2011, 04:55 PM

Ah fuggit. I'm waiting for the new one. I've waited this long I might as well get the nice new one.

Plus I have like $250 bucks in Best Buy gift cards I need to blow.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Mar 2, 2011, 05:04 PM

512MB is correct.
- Thomas Paine

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 2, 2011, 05:07 PM

link?

FireWire
Mac Elite
Mar 2, 2011, 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by sdilley14 View Post
Large deep dish meatlover's pizza and a little iPad 2 to get my day started right...WINNING!!!
Hey, hey! show a little compassion for a fellow member who is definitively not eating pizza today!!

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 2, 2011, 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
Really? It's already very low price, and Apple sells every single one they make. Lowering the price makes no sense at all.
I disagree on the price point, but I admit that I would like one. It's pretty amazing.

rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 2, 2011, 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by ort888 View Post
link?
Why in the hell doesn't Apple show the RAM specs in the "Tech Specs" page for the iPad 2? Ridiculous.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Mar 2, 2011, 05:28 PM

Ack, now I'm reading 1GB of RAM. It's anywhere from 512MB - 1GB, but more than 256.

Probably 512 since that's what's in the iPhone 4.
- Thomas Paine

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Mar 2, 2011, 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by rickey939 View Post
Why in the hell doesn't Apple show the RAM specs in the "Tech Specs" page for the iPad 2? Ridiculous.
Because the average iPad buyer doesn't give a crap about how much RAM it has, which is why brands like Motorola who keep pushing hardware specs will not catch on well with consumers.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Mar 2, 2011, 05:35 PM

Because the average iPad buyer doesn't give a crap about how much RAM it has, which is why brands like Motorola who keep pushing hardware specs will not catch on well with consumers.
Exactly. It's like advertising the amount of RAM in an AppleTV, PS3, or an Xbox. It's an appliance, not a computer.
- Thomas Paine

rickey939
Addicted to MacNN

The average user doesn't click on the "Tech Specs" page to begin with. Those crazy insane users who actually want to read the tech specs do....the least Apple could do is provide the basic information!

ort888
Addicted to MacNN

Yeah, but you think they would say somewhere. I mean, 2 hours after it comes out iFixit is going to do a teardown and we'll know. Why play these games?

I understand why they don't make a big deal out of it, but at least put the info out there somewhere.

I'm guessing that it's 512. I think if they quadrupled the RAM they would have mentioned it in the conference.

Brien
Professional Poster
Mar 2, 2011, 05:42 PM

I've been wondering... we now have the A5. What was the A1-A3?

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Mar 2, 2011, 05:45 PM

Older Samsung chips...

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Mar 2, 2011, 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by rickey939 View Post
The average user doesn't click on the "Tech Specs" page to begin with.
Exactly.

glideslope
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 2, 2011, 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by Thorzdad View Post
Getting closer to the "single pane of glass" ideal. Crazy stuff.
Transparent Aluminum.
To know your Enemy, you must become your Enemy.”
Sun Tzu

glideslope
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 2, 2011, 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by Brien View Post
I've been wondering... we now have the A5. What was the A1-A3?
Started at 4 for iPhone 4.
To know your Enemy, you must become your Enemy.”
Sun Tzu

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Mar 2, 2011, 07:45 PM

If the iPad is a post-PC device how come the first thing you do when you turn it on is hook it up to a PC?

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Mar 2, 2011, 08:02 PM

It's post-PC but it's not quite grown up yet and still relies on its mommy PC.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 2, 2011, 08:55 PM

Mommy has a can't cut the cord complex. ( ?)

torsoboy
Mac Elite
Mar 2, 2011, 08:56 PM

It seemed like a very awkward announcement. He would say something that he thought was awesome, pause for an applause which never came, and then move on to the next piece. Over and over. Very awkward. The thing that drew the most applause (for reasons I cannot comprehend) was the announcement of having a white version from the get-go.

It's a nice upgrade. Nothing spectacular, but I wouldn't mind upgrading to it.

freudling
Banned
Mar 2, 2011, 09:07 PM

Why is it that you people assume you're in some elite class that only looks at tech specs? Guess what... you're an information age citizen like everyone else. I'll bet lots of people DO look at tech specs. We're a new generation. You don't have to be complete nerds to understand the importance of RAM in a computer.

Apple's not posting the RAM spec because they don't want you to know they're offering less than the competition. Sorry, but you're arguments don't fly. If people really didn't care about tech specs, why even post them at all? Just so happens Apple left out one of the most important ones... right... none of you really care about operating temperatures and watts, but they posted those. RAM IS IMPORTANT.

My guess again is 512 MB RAM because they have to get the weight and cost down. Every little part. No SD card slot. No extra ports... weight and cost are everything. And, only 1 GHz dual core, whereas competition coming out with 1.2 and higher. Again, they need to get the battery life there so I assume they weren't able to clock higher.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Mar 2, 2011, 09:24 PM

Why is it that you people assume you're in some elite class that only looks at tech specs? Guess what... you're an information age citizen like everyone else. I'll bet lots of people DO look at tech specs. We're a new generation. You don't have to be complete nerds to understand the importance of RAM in a computer.
Once again, you seem to be completely out of touch with the people who actually buy these products. Just because we are in an "information age" doesn't mean people really care about specs on a product. They'll see that the iPad looks fast and that will be enough.

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 2, 2011, 09:26 PM

We sell iPads. Nobody has EVER asked me how much RAM is in one.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Mar 2, 2011, 09:33 PM

What do you mean YOU PEOPLE?

Blackguy.jpg

freudling
Banned
Mar 2, 2011, 09:53 PM

Post data that shows that most people don't care about and look at tech specs. Then, I'll shut up. Until then, I'll stand fast. This is gen x and y, a new, digital generation. Most of us do in fact know what RAM is.

AKcrab: And have you ever thought that people don't ask you about RAM because they can go on the Internet and look it up? Like, maybe, do some research before they go shopping?

Hmmmmm.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Mar 2, 2011, 09:57 PM

Post data that shows that most people don't care about and look at tech specs. Then, I'll shut up. Until then, I'll stand fast. This is gen x and y, a new, digital generation. Most of us do in fact know what RAM is.
Go into any huge chain electronics store and ask people looking at iPads or similar devices if they know how much RAM is in them, and if they know what RAM is. Your "digital generation" argument is absurd.

Forum Links
Forum Rules